• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour teams - Your pick

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
+1
I think BMC will be there ahead of Sky, due BMC having a main goal to contend for overalla nd Sky having no sprinter, no gc guy and JL's association with ASO

Right now I think Sky is a bit overhyped for GT invites. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but right now I agree with you.

Now this might change if wiggio-piggio ever moves over to Sky, but from what I can see, that drama is FINALLY over, at least for now.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I also think they are decent, but a bit hyped by a an understandably dead exited UK fan base. But I suspect that not having Wiggins on the team matters a whole lot less than actually having that other guy on the team: "Murdoch".

That's an ass(et) for newish markets that matter to organisers. The sort of potential favourable exposure, that dwarfs the outreach that ITV4, Eurosport, etc can hope to accomplish, who basically preach to the converted only. If Sky can put the promise of prime paper and TV inches on the table, globally, that will open a lot of French doors.

I expect both of them to be there, but I'm not so sure if I would put BMC ahead of Sky if it really came down to it. Especially if BMC is invisible or Evans has a shocking season opening.

The UK market is finally "ready" for de TdF and cycling, thanks to various riders and events that have made some ripples here over the last few years. And other places where Murdoch holds sway are also warming up. Sky is in. A perfect match for the drive to tap into new markets.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
My summary of the wild card hunters

Radio Shack - absolutely inconceivable that they won't be invited

Garmin - Vande Velde, Wiggins and Farrar - definitely in

Cervelo - Sastre and Hushovd - definitely in

BMC - A World Champion which a top notch Tour pedigree - very likely in

Katusha - Did OK this year, not a particularly star studded line up, have Pro Tour licence - should make the cut

Sky - Some decent stars - EBH, Lovkvist, Gerrans, but not top notch. Have a Pro Tour licence. Represent a big 'new' commercial market and are backed my a media giant - can't see them not making it, really

Skil Shimano - had their chance this year and didn't really do a whole lot - definitely miss out

Saur Sojason - the French do look after their own, but not enough to justify a fifth french team to accomodate Joly and Casper - almost definitely miss out

Vacansoliel - Pro Conti team with lesser stars than Sky or Katusha. Do the French really love the Feillus enough? - probably miss out if only 21 teams and Footon Servetto remain (I'm sure the Tour would love to get rid of them)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
now i think if wiggo goes to sky, that will gurantee their tour spot. Originally i put BMC ahead of Sky for the tour spot as BMC had a main goal for the tour but with the Sky lineup, they have a lot more big name riders and wiggo performed really well at the tour this year and evans had an off year at the tour. I hope I'm wrong though.

I don't envy prudhomme's predicament

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
now i think if wiggo goes to sky, that will gurantee their tour spot. Originally i put BMC ahead of Sky for the tour spot as BMC had a main goal for the tour but with the Sky lineup, they have a lot more big name riders and wiggo performed really well at the tour this year and evans had an off year at the tour. I hope I'm wrong though.

I don't envy prudhomme's predicament

BMC's only hope is Cadel, who like most Aussies, sucks when the going gets tough in a GC. BMC now sucks.

Shack attack Shack attack.

A

Anonymous

Saur Sojasun & Skil, both out

and one of either lampre or katyusha

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
Cunego? He's as good as kirchen, at least. And then there's Petacchi.

Hasn't Cunego said he's just looking for one day wins next year and not really interested in the GTs? I seem to remember reading on CN a few weeks back.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Cogombre said:
Agreed. And if it's one out of either Lampre or Katyusha, then it is Lampre. Kirchen and Joaquim versus ... who?

Don't forget Robbie McEwan. He may not beat Cavendish but with his stages, jerseys and profile I think the Tour would want him in. It would add to the Cavendish, Farrar, Hushvod battle.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Okay then???:confused:
Spastic attack Spastic attack:D

You are pretty sensitive to the Shack attack :D

Probably because your boy Evans got smoked by Lance, SMOKED! And it's gonna happen next year too.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hombre El Asso said:
You are pretty sensitive to the Shack attack :D

Probably because your boy Evans got smoked by Lance, SMOKED! And it's gonna happen next year too.

It's called EPO and blood doping mate. Ever heard of why JB got his nickname the Hog. Evans is a far better rider.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
It's called EPO and blood doping mate. Ever heard of why JB got his nickname the Hog. Evans is a far better rider.

I could care less about EPO use. Evans is a doper too, so as far as I am concerned, the field is even. Unless you count Evans chin as an aerodynamic liability.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hombre El Asso said:
I could care less about EPO use. Evans is a doper too, so as far as I am concerned, the field is even. Unless you count Evans chin as an aerodynamic liability.

If so, LA has tested positive before, evans hasn't.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
If so, LA has tested positive before, evans hasn't.

You know, it's funny how the losers are the ones always making the excuses, while the winners just keep on winning ... they just seem to defy the odds. Lance is a winner. Sucks to be a Cadel fan :(

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hombre El Asso said:
You know, it's funny how the losers are the ones always making the excuses, while the winners just keep on winning ... they just seem to defy the odds. Lance is a winner. Sucks to be a Cadel fan :(

I guess it is more important to keep your integrity that manipulate, lie and cheat people.He is a two faced ***. With evans, what you see is what you get.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
I guess it is more important to keep your integrity that manipulate, lie and cheat people.He is a two faced ***. With evans, what you see is what you get.

You mean you get an ass-chin? Ummmm, great. I will stick with the greatest athlete in the world, thank you.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Don't you mean the greatest cheat/fraud/liar in the world?

No I don't. He's a winner, and you're not, so you naturally feel threatened. I believe others have dubbed him the greatest athlete in the world. Don't hate the player, hate the game auscyclefan9412345678909876543212345

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hombre El Asso said:
No I don't. He's a winner, and you're not, so you naturally feel threatened. I believe others have dubbed him the greatest athlete in the world. Don't hate the player, hate the game auscyclefan9412345678909876543212345

how is he not a cheat?