• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Track becoming SOFT with inconsistent commissieres

May 16, 2009
Visit site
Shane Perkins shouldn't have been relegated...
Azizul Awang shouldn't have been dsq...

Not sure what's going on up there in Dehli, but terrible rulings are ruining the track program. Keirin has always been rough and tumble, pure bike racing. To me, it is the best race to watch because of the contact, tactics and hard racing.

The problem with the rules is that you've got commissieres (spelling?) who see decisions like this as their 'time in the sun'. Most of them have never raced a keirin; most are volunteers, and while we need them, it does take a certain 'type' to be a commissiere and I think that's half the problem.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency. I've seen a lot of keirin racing and moves like Perkos are a dime a dozen and go unpunished 9 times out of 10... and Azizul's move through the gap is exactly what keirin racing is all about. Exciting, daring, thrilling, seat-of-your-pants racing.

Track is in trouble around the world - it will continue to decline while nuff-nuff officials make inconsistent decisions like this. Suppose I shouldn't expect anything different while the sport is governed by the UCI (united clowns incorporated).

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
The 'South African' is a Keiren rider, he knows what to expect...

Perkins call was 50-50..Could have gone either way.

I think McCullough in the woman's sprint was much worse. She was almost past, and possibly should have been relegated, but DQed!?

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Relegating Perkins was reasonable for "squeezing".

His "2 fingered salute" deserved DQ, he was "lucky" to avoid that fate. Unfortunately for cycling, the failure to DQ reflects poorly on all concerned.:mad: