• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

track frame build help

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, I just purchased a specialized 2019 Allez sprint track frame, red hook LTD. Single speed set up.
I need help building this bike. I'm not trying to go too crazy with expensive parts. Can I get a few suggestions on bike parts?
I'm still waiting for the frame to be delivered.
I already got the wheel set, bullhorn handle bars, bar tape and seat.

Most important thing is I need to get the bottom bracket and crank set.
What kind of Bottom bracket does this frame use? The specs only say threaded bottom bracket adapter.

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Please do not post the same thread multiple times.

Are you building it up for road or track use?
Sorry about the multiple posts.
Just a little background, I'm not familiar with all the lingo. I used to ride a lot. Rode fixies for years. I loved it! But that was a while back. What I'm really confused about is the bottom brackets and crank sets and the compatibility. I just need to know what kind of BB I need and cranks that will fit with it.

I was looking at a few crank sets.
Miche pistard 2.0 or the Miche pistard AIR.
Sugino messenger
SRAM Omnium.
The DURA ACE looks sick but out of my price range by a lot.
What do you think?

No worries about the multiple posts, happens a lot with new members so just a heads up.

BBs are one of the most annoying things to get right. All the cranks you list require a different one and it can even differ depending on models for some!

Starting with the frame, it’s almost certainly an English thread. That means all the common threaded BBs will fit fine. Specialized call all their BB shells OSBB so it can get confusing, but as they have inserted a threaded adapter I’m almost certain it’ll be a standard 68mm shell so you can run the common cranks you would want on the track. It would be really strange if it wasn’t.

The Miche pistard and air cranks use a 24mm external BB, so theoretically any BB that works with Shimano Hollowtech2 cranks will work. However, I know someone who runs these cranks and they said the Miche BB works better. These cranks and the Omniums have the axle attached to the crank, so you can’t buy the wrong length BB axle as they are just cups.

The Sugino messenger uses a JIS Square taper and needs a 103mm axle for the correct chain line. Any 68mm shell BB with those specs will work. Sealed isn’t necessary for track. These cranks are ok, but they ain’t 75s and if you were thinking of upgrading in the future you’d have to replace the BB too as the 75s have a specific taper.

Sram Omniums use a GXP BB, which is similar to Hollowtech2, but the cups reduce from 24mm to 22mm so you need a specific GXP BB. I run Omniums on my fixed gear in summer (which is short in Scotland!) They’d be my choice of the ones you list. Nice and stiff, easy to fit with a 10 and 8mm Allen key and the BBs are light and cheap (although as it’s for the track you won’t need to replace it often).

Current Dura Ace, 7710, use octalink BBs. I’m not a fan of these cranks. The 7600 were better and used a JIS Square taper, but fixie kids have pushed up the price in the second hand market to crazy money.

TL : DR - Get 165mm Omniums. The BB is a 68mm shell threaded GXP, think it’s called the team GXP or something like that.

May 9, 2020
Visit site
No worries about the multiple posts, happens a lot with new members so just a heads up.

BBs are one of the most annoying things to get right. All the cranks you list require a different one and it can even differ depending on models for some!

Starting with the frame, it’s almost certainly an English thread. That means all the common threaded BBs will fit fine. Specialized call all their BB shells OSBB so it can get confusing, but as they have inserted a threaded adapter I’m almost certain it’ll be a standard 68mm shell so you can run the common cranks you would want on the track. It would be really strange if it wasn’t.

The Miche pistard and air cranks use a 24mm external BB, so theoretically any BB that works with Shimano Hollowtech2 cranks will work. However, I know someone who runs these cranks and they said the Miche BB works better. These cranks and the Omniums have the axle attached to the crank, so you can’t buy the wrong length BB axle as they are just cups.

The Sugino messenger uses a JIS Square taper and needs a 103mm axle for the correct chain line. Any 68mm shell BB with those specs will work. Sealed isn’t necessary for track. These cranks are ok, but they ain’t 75s and if you were thinking of upgrading in the future you’d have to replace the BB too as the 75s have a specific taper.

Sram Omniums use a GXP BB, which is similar to Hollowtech2, but the cups reduce from 24mm to 22mm so you need a specific GXP BB. I run Omniums on my fixed gear in summer (which is short in Scotland!) They’d be my choice of the ones you list. Nice and stiff, easy to fit with a 10 and 8mm Allen key and the BBs are light and cheap (although as it’s for the track you won’t need to replace it often).

Current Dura Ace, 7710, use octalink BBs. I’m not a fan of these cranks. The 7600 were better and used a JIS Square taper, but fixie kids have pushed up the price in the second hand market to crazy money.

TL : DR - Get 165mm Omniums. The BB is a 68mm shell threaded GXP, think it’s called the team GXP or something like that.

Thank you so much for info. I really appreciate it! I think it'll help me a lot!

TRENDING THREADS