• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2014 > 2015

Page 123 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Wiggo full time riders (Wiggo to join in June, BC academy riders to ride for team as well):

Steven Burke (26) – 2012 Olympic and World team pursuit champion who finished third in the individual pursuit (won by Wiggins) at Beijing 2008 Games.

Mark Christian (24) – Manxman who rejoined the GB track setup this summer having previously graduated from BC’s Olympic Academy programme.

Jon Dibben (20) – Podium finisher in the 2012 junior Paris-Roubaix, Dibben has progressed through the BC ranks and could ride the Omnium in Rio.

Owain Doull (21) – Highly-rated Welsh talent who had an offer to join Europcar in 2015. Won the madison at the recent London Track World Cup alongside Christian.

Daniel Patten (28) – Essex born and former Dave Rayner-funded rider. Raced in 2014 with Team 7 Eleven in the Philippines and Cycletherapy in the USA.

Iain Paton (19) – Currently part of British Cycling’s Olympic Mountain Bike Academy programme. Scottish XC and Cyclo-cross Champion.

Andy Tennant (27) – Like Wiggins, a former junior pursuit world champion. Impressed in the team pursuit during this year’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

Michael Thompson (19) – Finished second in this year’s British under-23 MTB Championship, and is part of British Cycling’s Olympic Academy programme.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...l-details-revealed-149481#ArEchm7TI8TAIExI.99

Ryo Hazuki said:
if coldeportes weren't paying salaries riders wouldn't go there. don't believe that bs
Guess who tweeted the Team owe salaries to the riders

Hint: The 2 cyclists leaving the team this season. I have a hunch that they know the "BS" first hand.
The other riders are hostages

Goga (ESPN) has reported the same thing 2 years in a row.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sylwester Szmyd after yeras spent in Italian and Spanish teams signed the contract with polish CCC Sprandi Polkowice.

I hope, that after 2 years literally lost in Movistar, now he'll be able to perform some farewell results. And for sure it's also good for polish team with aspirations for high category races and joining WT after steady graduation.

MatParker117 said:
Team Wiggo full time riders (Wiggo to join in June, BC academy riders to ride for team as well):

Steven Burke (26) – 2012 Olympic and World team pursuit champion who finished third in the individual pursuit (won by Wiggins) at Beijing 2008 Games.

Mark Christian (24) – Manxman who rejoined the GB track setup this summer having previously graduated from BC’s Olympic Academy programme.

Jon Dibben (20) – Podium finisher in the 2012 junior Paris-Roubaix, Dibben has progressed through the BC ranks and could ride the Omnium in Rio.

Owain Doull (21) – Highly-rated Welsh talent who had an offer to join Europcar in 2015. Won the madison at the recent London Track World Cup alongside Christian.

Daniel Patten (28) – Essex born and former Dave Rayner-funded rider. Raced in 2014 with Team 7 Eleven in the Philippines and Cycletherapy in the USA.

Iain Paton (19) – Currently part of British Cycling’s Olympic Mountain Bike Academy programme. Scottish XC and Cyclo-cross Champion.

Andy Tennant (27) – Like Wiggins, a former junior pursuit world champion. Impressed in the team pursuit during this year’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

Michael Thompson (19) – Finished second in this year’s British under-23 MTB Championship, and is part of British Cycling’s Olympic Academy programme.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...l-details-revealed-149481#ArEchm7TI8TAIExI.99

Pretty thin. Doull is a bit of a talent, and at the younger end some of the others may turn out to be good (who really knows how good a 19 year old mountain biker will be on the road), but the more experienced end of the roster looks quite weak even by Conti standards.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Pretty thin. Doull is a bit of a talent, and at the younger end some of the others may turn out to be good (who really knows how good a 19 year old mountain biker will be on the road), but the more experienced end of the roster looks quite weak even by Conti standards.
Patten, Tennant and Burke haven't really done too much, Tennant plateaued after showing promise as a junior, that's for sure. They are probably just there for mentoring more than anything. Once Wigans and the BC Academy guys start riding it should be ok for a first year dev team. Give it time.

KubaWinter said:
Sylwester Szmyd after yeras spent in Italian and Spanish teams signed the contract with polish CCC Sprandi Polkowice.

I hope, that after 2 years literally lost in Movistar, now he'll be able to perform some farewell results. And for sure it's also good for polish team with aspirations for high category races and joining WT after steady graduation.
I would love to see him get a proper win before retiring!

42x16ss said:
Patten, Tennant and Burke haven't really done too much, Tennant plateaued after showing promise as a junior, that's for sure. They are probably just there for mentoring more than anything. Once Wigans and the BC Academy guys start riding it should be ok for a first year dev team. Give it time.

I'm sure that some of the young guys will eventually be good. They do after all have the whole BC program to grab riders from. But there's a big hole between the kids and Wiggins. Given that it's a "kids and mentors" team rather than say a U23 only outfit, I'd have expected them to grab a couple of older guys who have ridden at a higher level than that available in, say, the Philippines.

I don't even necessarily mean relatively well known WT riders coming towards the end of their careers. Just riders who have been around the bloc a bit and have a wider range of experience to pass on.

Zinoviev Letter said:
I'm sure that some of the young guys will eventually be good. They do after all have the whole BC program to grab riders from. But there's a big hole between the kids and Wiggins. Given that it's a "kids and mentors" team rather than say a U23 only outfit, I'd have expected them to grab a couple of older guys who have ridden at a higher level than that available in, say, the Philippines.

I don't even necessarily mean relatively well known WT riders coming towards the end of their careers. Just riders who have been around the bloc a bit and have a wider range of experience to pass on.
Certainly, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't go after someone like Kristian House or Ed Clancy. They have a good amount of experience and can still put in a decent ride at .1 and .2 level.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Just to be 101% sure; you're talking about the Dutch Lotto (the was-Rabo-then-Blanco-then-Belkin Lotto)?

Well if it was the Belgian one they wouldn't resign him, would they? ;)

Tanner did a great job for them, but instead of having riders that make it possible for their best riders to excel they rather have Laurens ten Dam training all year for the Tour de France to finish 25 minutes behind the race leader.

Der Effe said:

Tanner did a great job for them, but instead of having riders that make it possible for their best riders to excel they rather have Laurens ten Dam training all year for the Tour de France to finish 25 minutes behind the race leader.
Well they did in fact resign him, they just didn't re-sign him ;)

Der Effe said:

IAM got a relative bargain in Tanner, I hope he takes his opportunity to take charge.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
slosada said:
Guess who tweeted the Team owe salaries to the riders

Hint: The 2 cyclists leaving the team this season. I have a hunch that they know the "BS" first hand.
The other riders are hostages

Goga (ESPN) has reported the same thing 2 years in a row.

riders leaving a team are always a great source :rolleyes:

Netserk said:
Well they did in fact resign him, they just didn't re-sign him ;)

How could they resign him if he'd never ridden for them? Wouldn't that be like firing someone who never worked for you?

Anyway, it was the re-signing stuff that clued me in that we were in fact dealing with Dutch-Lotto, just wanted to be completely sure.

(amazing difference a little "-" can make!)

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Caleb Fairly going to Giant-Alpecin has already been reported. But got-damn he gave some telling quotes about it over at Pez. I'd love to hear more of that back story…

Jonathan Vaughters isn’t known for great communication with his riders.
PEZ: What was your role at Garmin?
Well, like most guys it was how to help the leaders. That’s a pretty broad space, and was not always clear.

filipo said:
Caleb Fairly going to Giant-Alpecin has already been reported. But got-damn he gave some telling quotes about it over at Pez. I'd love to hear more of that back story…

It seems like he got a bit forgotten about. Which isn't really surprising - Garmin is stuffed full of climbing domestiques, most of whom would be ahead of Fairly in the pecking order.

Giant on the other hand actually need some guys who can provide climbing support. He should, for instance, make their Ardennes line up. He probably wouldn't make a Garmin second squad for those races.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS