• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2015 > 2016

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Lexman said:
WheelofGear said:
If Tinkoff-Saxo wants to win some more, they seriously need a better team.

Both for the classics and the mountains. I replace the half of the team. Contador, Majka and Sagan deserve better.

Any candidates who could go to Tinkoff-Saxo?

VDB 2 doing a better job than Basso...

VDB is not good enough. He will be another Basso. A couple of young but not youg-young climbers around 26-29 would be perfect for the team.

Paterski will go back to a pro team. Landa to Sky rumour, ugh, it's like they just go "somebody looked good at climbing, throw money at them to make them domestique for robo Richie and Froome dawg!"

Can't see Zakarin moving. Moreno will go wherever J-Rod does, and I don't see them leaving Катюша unless the Russians decide the money is too much in which case Purito could be waiting around like Samu was a couple of years ago. He's not going back to Movistar to domestique for Valverde again! Quite a few likely retirements. Wonder if anybody will take a flyer on Ryder or if he's headed into the likes of United Healthcare? He's kind of become irrelevant but still puts in good showings towards the end of stage races and can still be of pretty good use even if I'd quite happily not see him again.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Ryder would be a great climbing domestique for a top gc-rider in the third week, but I'm not sure if someone will sign him, too old and probably too expensive, maybe a 1 year contract.
Ballan's suspension ends in August, who will sign him, just an Italian proconti team or will a bigger team make a move?

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Squirbos_19 said:
According to cyclingquotes, all these riders are off contract.

Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha Team), Carlos Betancur (Ag2r La Mondiale), Mikel Landa (Astana Pro Team), Greg van Avermaet (BMC Racing Team), Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha Team), Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing Team), Daniel Martin (Cannondale-Garmin), André Greipel (Lotto Belisol), Sylvain Chavanel (IAM Cycling), Zdenek Stybar (Etixx-Quick Step)

Mark Cavendish (Etixx-Quick Step), Domenico Pozzovivo (Ag2r La Mondiale), Daniel Moreno (Katusha Team), Jens Debusschere (Lotto Belisol), Elia Viviani (Team Sky), Bryan Coquard (Team Europcar), Pierre Rolland (Team Europcar), Maciej Paterski (CCC Polsat), Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin), Jurgen Van den Broeck (Lotto Belisol)

As well as Uran, Porte and Kwiatkowski

Edit: A few of these are obviously going to stay like Greipel and Van Garderen among others
Love to see Rolland move to a bigger team. Dunno what would be a good fit, though - maybe Etixx-QS? BMC?

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Ryder would be a great climbing domestique for a top gc-rider in the third week, but I'm not sure if someone will sign him, too old and probably too expensive, maybe a 1 year contract.
Ballan's suspension ends in August, who will sign him, just an Italian proconti team or will a bigger team make a move?

It was suggested that he might be back at his last team during an interview with him.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com

VeloCity said:
Squirbos_19 said:
According to cyclingquotes, all these riders are off contract.

Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha Team), Carlos Betancur (Ag2r La Mondiale), Mikel Landa (Astana Pro Team), Greg van Avermaet (BMC Racing Team), Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha Team), Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing Team), Daniel Martin (Cannondale-Garmin), André Greipel (Lotto Belisol), Sylvain Chavanel (IAM Cycling), Zdenek Stybar (Etixx-Quick Step)

Mark Cavendish (Etixx-Quick Step), Domenico Pozzovivo (Ag2r La Mondiale), Daniel Moreno (Katusha Team), Jens Debusschere (Lotto Belisol), Elia Viviani (Team Sky), Bryan Coquard (Team Europcar), Pierre Rolland (Team Europcar), Maciej Paterski (CCC Polsat), Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin), Jurgen Van den Broeck (Lotto Belisol)

As well as Uran, Porte and Kwiatkowski

Edit: A few of these are obviously going to stay like Greipel and Van Garderen among others
Love to see Rolland move to a bigger team. Dunno what would be a good fit, though - maybe Etixx-QS? BMC?

I dont see Rolland going anywhere else than Europcar; he's got a leader role and he can decide his own calendar without much pressure.

First time poster here so take it easy on me please!

With regards to Contador leaving next year, don't you think Tinkoff should be looking for a GT guy to replace Contador? Also looking at the domestiques in the mountains this last 3 weeks, they could do with some of those because only for Contador being so strong, team Tinkoff would have been really struggling this Giro. Could be an expensive transfer market for Mr Tinkoff.

Re:

chickenlips said:
First time poster here so take it easy on me please!

With regards to Contador leaving next year, don't you think Tinkoff should be looking for a GT guy to replace Contador? Also looking at the domestiques in the mountains this last 3 weeks, they could do with some of those because only for Contador being so strong, team Tinkoff would have been really struggling this Giro. Could be an expensive transfer market for Mr Tinkoff.

Contador will be riding in 2016 and you never know he could go beyond that ....riders do change their mind when it comes near to the date of retirement esp if they are still riding well

As for a replacement ... Tinkoff Saxo just don't need one rider they need several

But not many top riders (i.e. top 4/5) will sign for Tinkov IMO...just look at the Eurosport clip today in the TCS bus and see the fear in riders faces when he is about

Tinkov has spent alot of money on Peter Sagan and says he won't do that again....but he would need ot spend big to get a top team of domestiques & a Contador replacement

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Asero831 said:
Katusha's direction is towards Kristoff.

With Movistar, it's always been the GC

The first part is true, but does Kristoff really need 27 riders in the team for him? No.
If Purito stays which I think he will as 2016 will probably be his last season, it would be good for Landa to ride with him for a year.

Landa could have a whole team dedicated to him in a grand tour in 2017, as Kristoff will never ride 3 GTs in a year. He could get that with Astana but he's behind Aru and Nibali in the hierarchy at the moment.

Squirbos_19 said:
Asero831 said:

The first part is true, but does Kristoff really need 27 riders in the team for him? No.
If Purito stays which I think he will as 2016 will probably be his last season, it would be good for Landa to ride with him for a year.

Landa could have a whole team dedicated to him in a grand tour in 2017, as Kristoff will never ride 3 GTs in a year. He could get that with Astana but he's behind Aru and Nibali in the hierarchy at the moment.

He has said that he first will retire when he is 38-39 years old. He is a late bloomer after all and they last longer. I actually see him as "younger" in terms of racing than guys like Gesink and Cunego who have peaked earlier.

I guess both Contador (I don't think he will retire in 2016), Valverde and Purito will end their career in late 2017 as an end of an era.

But Landa could still learn from Purito and be a co-leader with him. And in 2017, Purito could support Landa in the GTs and just focus on winning Liege and some other classics.

One of the managers of AG2R stated that Peraud is younger than some of the guys in their early 30's. And I think he is right about that.

Having a long career on the top of the game is how to determinate a cyclist's age. Cunego is actually one of the oldest guys in the peloton. Basso is a fossil.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
One of the managers of AG2R stated that Peraud is younger than some of the guys in their early 30's. And I think he is right about that.

Having a long career on the top of the game is how to determinate a cyclist's age. Cunego is actually one of the oldest guys in the peloton. Basso is a fossil.
Then Rebellin is what?

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site

WheelofGear said:
Squirbos_19 said:
Asero831 said:

He has said that he first will retire when he is 38-39 years old. He is a late bloomer after all and they last longer. I actually see him as "younger" in terms of racing than guys like Gesink and Cunego who have peaked earlier.

I guess both Contador (I don't think he will retire in 2016), Valverde and Purito will end their career in late 2017 as an end of an era.

But Landa could still learn from Purito and be a co-leader with him. And in 2017, Purito could support Landa in the GTs and just focus on winning Liege and some other classics.

Really good points there, i agree that Purito will ride in 2017 but only for the classics and in support of Landa if he goes to Katusha.

Movistar would be a bit similar but Quintana will still be above him.

SafeBet said:
WheelofGear said:

Then Rebellin is what?

Living antic legend like Joopie has been before! ^^

SafeBet said:
WheelofGear said:

Then Rebellin is what?
Reptilians doesn't count. ;)