• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

WheelofGear said:
Hirt to a WT team? He is such a good climber when it comes to the high mountains.

He would be perfect for a smaller team like Lotto-Jumbo. The new quartet of Roglic, Kruijswijk, Bennett and Hirt.

After today's performance, I'm sure bigger teams like Katusha, Astana and BMC are looking to add another goat.

Or Sunweb, if Dumoulin wants a strong climber.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Vasilis said:
I heard that Landa actually wants to stay at Sky.
Can't remember the source though.

It was Landa himself. After his stage win:

"I hope that's a sign of what I can do and helps people puts their faith in my ability so that I can perhaps stay here at Team Sky."

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Any news about Hirt? He is too good for PCT.

He is not that young, but considering this was his first GT, he did pretty well and other than the one day crisis on Etna where he lost 5min, he could have been in the top10.

CCC needs to keep him in order to get more GT invites. Overall CCC did pretty good job and were visible the whole 3 weeks ... maybe its only the orange jerseys :D

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hirt the next Roglic
Hirt is more of a pure climber.
The guy has always been a beast in the high mountains (remember Rettenbachferner 2015?), but it's great to see that he did so well in his first gt. If they get another wildcard one more year at CCC wouldn't be the worst option.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
I thought that CCC increased their sponsorship a few years ago to a decent level. Their paychecks shouldn't be much lower than the ones from LottoNL and Lampre imho!
I thought the same, but last year they didn't resign De La Parte, so who knows?
It's not like they have many guys who earn a lot, but a team with Hirt, Grossschartner and Schlegel for the mountain stages (all of them have now finished their first gt) could be really fun and with Hirt's performance amother wildcard should be almost guaranteed.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
staubsauger said:
I thought that CCC increased their sponsorship a few years ago to a decent level. Their paychecks shouldn't be much lower than the ones from LottoNL and Lampre imho!
I thought the same, but last year they didn't resign De La Parte, so who knows?
It's not like they have many guys who earn a lot, but a team with Hirt, Grossschartner and Schlegel for the mountain stages (all of them have now finished their first gt) could be really fun and with Hirt's performance amother wildcard should be almost guaranteed.
Neither Grosschartner nor Schlegel looked much fun this Giro. Of course they can improve but it's unsure.

I think paychecks in CCC are very low compared to WT teams, at least most of them. It's hard life as a member of procontinental team at WT level, WT riders let you know that you are lesser form of life, so...

Cofidis and Direct Energie are, as far as I know, the only PCT teams with wage budgets competitive with the smallest WT teams. Cofidis being notorious overspenders supposedly pay their team of not very notable riders more than the runts of the WT litter. But the rest are well behind the WT in budge terms.

PCT teams are really very weak in this period, having been stripped of their best riders by a combination of the points system and escalating WT budgets driven by non commercial sponsors (rich man's toy teams and quasi national teams). A few years ago a rider like Hirt could make a splash at a GT and then the PCT outfit would try to hold onto him as their marquee leader. Nowadays anyone who shows high level ability at any discipline gets snapped up instantly. The exceptions are nearly always sprinters, basically because the talent pool is very deep at the moment and there isn't enough room at WT teams for all the second and third tier fast men. Also sprinters are a good investment for teams that will be riding a lot of lower level races, so if a PCT team can pay one rider well a sprinter makes sense.

I suspect that more than one WT team will offer him more than twice what CCC can offer and he will jump at it. Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can ride for his own chance at least sometimes.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
I suspect that more than one WT team will offer him more than twice what CCC can offer and he will jump at it. Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can ride for his own chance at least sometimes.
Well that will probably turn out true. Rest depends on how he will do...he has some reserves I believe, at least in time trials which he wasn't training until now. He needs to work on it with someone, at CCC he didn't have much chances. In WT I believe most have their TT bike.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I can imagine Hirt going to Bora to replace Konig or Konrad. He can also help Majka. They do need another climber and he can be an outright leader for Giro or Vuelta.