• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

WheelofGear said:
Belgian Lotto have a very few pure climbers. Valls hasn't been very impressive since his win in Oman.

Maybe that is a good place for Hirt? Could even get a chance to lead in a Grand Tour like the Vuelta.

in theory you're right but with the exception of Evans I can't recall much non belgian climbers having a good result at Lotto, maybe Peraud but that's it...which is a pity though...

Re:

WheelofGear said:
Belgian Lotto have a very few pure climbers. Valls hasn't been very impressive since his win in Oman.

Maybe that is a good place for Hirt? Could even get a chance to lead in a Grand Tour like the Vuelta.
Belgian Lotto probably betting on their world class climbers espoirs generation. Not very helpful in Grand Tours for the next year, but for the longer term the better option.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

pastronef said:
Jancouver said:
I can imagine Hirt going to Bora to replace Konig or Konrad. He can also help Majka. They do need another climber and he can be an outright leader for Giro or Vuelta.

Konig stays at Bora until 2019. he signed a 3 year deal

My comment was more related to Konig's ongoing health issues as he may be forced to retire ... we should have an answer in the next few weeks

LaFlorecita said:
MatParker117 said:
LaFlorecita said:
deValtos said:
I heard Sky were looking to sign Contador ... :p
Go wash your mouth out

They had brief talks prior to Sky signing Wiggins.
I know that. Dodged a bullet, he would have ended up like EBH.

think for a moment about this, if Sky signed Alberto from 2010, the view we all have on Team Sky would be completely different. in 2010 the vitriol wasnt there yet. the minds werent still bugged with the Sky-problem.

things would have been very different. so very different.

dont think about Contador signing for Sky 7 years ago at the beginning of Sky in 2010, with the sky-bugged mind of the last 4-5 years

pastronef said:
LaFlorecita said:
MatParker117 said:
LaFlorecita said:
deValtos said:
I heard Sky were looking to sign Contador ... :p
Go wash your mouth out

They had brief talks prior to Sky signing Wiggins.
I know that. Dodged a bullet, he would have ended up like EBH.

think for a moment about this, if Sky signed Alberto from 2010, the view we all have on Team Sky would be completely different. in 2010 the vitriol wasnt there yet. the minds werent still bugged with the Sky-problem.

things would have been very different. so very different.

dont think about Contador signing for Sky 7 years ago at the beginning of Sky in 2010, with the sky-bugged mind of the last 4-5 years
You're probably right. There wouldn't have been the improbable transformations, maybe the marginal gains stuff would have been toned down and the riding would be more aggressive (you'd hope) with a rider like Contador.

Why didn't they sign him? Sponsors wanting a British rider, I imagine, as Contador in 2010 was a far more attractive proposition than Wiggins was. Or was it money? Or just the Brailsford ethos?

Brullnux said:
You're probably right. There wouldn't have been the improbable transformations, maybe the marginal gains stuff would have been toned down and the riding would be more aggressive (you'd hope) with a rider like Contador.

Why didn't they sign him? Sponsors wanting a British rider, I imagine, as Contador in 2010 was a far more attractive proposition than Wiggins was. Or was it money? Or just the Brailsford ethos?

It was Sky promising "a British Tour de France winner within 5 years".
So they couldn't sign Contador.

staubsauger said:
LaFlorecita said:
Or maybe Contador himself wasn't that excited about the project?
You & Me both truly believe that Sir Dave is even less likable than Vino or Lance & Bruyneel!

Wouldn't surprise if Berti thought just the same when even we do agree for once! :lol:

fine
but dont think about it NOW
think about it with your 2010 knowledge and point of view about Sky and DB. we still didnt know anything, we still didnt foam from the mouth anytime we read or hear the word SKY
it´s an interesting exercise.