• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Someone like Hermann Pernsteiner should get signed by a team that is at least at PCT level.
The guy isn't that young, vbut he has limited experience on the road, he's a great Marathon MTB rider. Last year h finished 6th on gc in the Österreich Rundfahrt, his 2nd stage race on the road and this year he was 2nd in the 6th Tour d'Azerbaïdjan. The big question is if he really wants to focus only on road cycling, there's not a lot of money in Marathon MTB, sometimes I'm surprised that some of the top guys who are really strong don't try their luck on the road.

Re: Re:

Lexman said:
Alexandre B. said:
"Froome rêve de BMC" headlines L'Équipe frontpage.

The reunion?

what does the article say, based on what? BMC is not sure to continue its sponsorship I read concerning GVA and a reason they don't have much riders signed on for next year(s)
1496913699-froome-1.png

1496913707-froome-2.png

No surprise that Froome wants to leave - Think BMC would be the last of his options - How about DD, Team Emirates, Lotto NL Jumbo or even one of AGR2 would be a good fit.

The only reason Dan Martin would go to Sky is to ride the Giro - You can bank on a serious result in GC.

Re:

Breh said:
Orica pulling out, BMC doesn't want to main sponsor anymore, Quick Step in trouble aswell.
I don't like this. I don't like this at all :(

One of the main problems with cycling right now is that there are a handful of massive sponsors throwing in so much more money than others that the talent is swalled up by mostly the same teams where they all work as very strong groups for the same leaders, making races less predictable and less exciting.

Those sponsors leaving means the talent will be spread around more. That's quite a positive, unless you're a rider thinking about his salary. And I'm not. I'm a fan who wants the end of this era of predictable racing stifled by stacked major teams.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Breh said:
Orica pulling out, BMC doesn't want to main sponsor anymore, Quick Step in trouble aswell.
Adding to that is Eurosport buying TV rights to the Italian races (for starters I'm afraid), resulting in less viewers and therefore less income for sponsors. It's going to be interesting how the spectrum of sponsors will develop the coming years.

RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:
RedheadDane said:
Froome to BMC rumours: debunked!
He can't say anything about a deal until August 1st anyway, so this doesn't mean much.

He could simply have said "No comment."
He could have, but that would just mean more speculation. Me thinks that he nor Team Sky wants their whole TDF to be about Froome possibly leaving. This way they - and mainly Froome - can focus on racing, instead of focussing on a possible departure.

GuyIncognito said:
Breh said:

One of the main problems with cycling right now is that there are a handful of massive sponsors throwing in so much more money than others that the talent is swalled up by mostly the same teams where they all work as very strong groups for the same leaders, making races less predictable and less exciting.

Those sponsors leaving means the talent will be spread around more. That's quite a positive, unless you're a rider thinking about his salary. And I'm not. I'm a fan who wants the end of this era of predictable racing stifled by stacked major teams.

I agree with this very much. It can be a problem for riders and staff but races will not be affected or cycling change a lot without some of these teams. I wanted to write something in the u23 discussion about how this pattern mentioned is there in the u23 calendar too with the biggest races dominated by the us/aus/some cases gbr teams + BMC and Lotto, who seem to be the most dedicated development teams so far.