• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Re:

WheelofGear said:
Pretty sure D. Martin is staying with Quickstep. They already have Poels, Rosa, Kwai and Henao for the hilly classics and Vuelta-styled races.

And Fuglsang? How many superdoms do Sky want? They should invenst in great roulers instead. Jonathan Castroviejo is a perfect choice.

Jonathan Castroviejo is almost certain to sign for SKY .... If Fuglsang goes to SKY it will be to fill the exit of Landa, soon to lead in GIRO and so.
Kwai already renovated for SKY right?

Re:

Ricco' said:
I know that Jungels is a priority for Quick Step, but to fuel some rumours, he just published a picture on Instagram with the CEO of Tag Heuer, saying it's been a pleasure to meet him.

Well, I think that there is a rumour that Tag Heuer wimm assume main sponsorship of BMC so that's a possibility one can not reject.

very very very nice rumor. Jungels at BMC would be gooood!

I like him, not a Quick-Step fan though

Re: Re:

PedroMonteiro said:
greenedge said:
GVA would need to sign a comparable domestique then, maybe Kung can continue his progression.

It could be Wout Van Aert or Mathieu Van der Poel...
Young and with good future

I don't think any one of these two will switch to road to be domestiques.

They earn and win enough on cyclo-cross to do an excellent living and to be superstars and their teams give them all the conditions they want at the moment. Crélan joined Verandas Willems this year and turned ProConti this year with the condition of having Van Aert in the team and I heard that Beobank may be considering a step up too (and judging by this cx off-season, they are massively better as a team on the road and with Meeusen, Meisen and Vermeersch, plus David van der Poel and Walsleben - and with Toupalik and Jens Dekker one year older - they strongly upgraded their squad for CX).

If they go to the WT, it will be to be leaders, like Stybar did.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, top CX guys earn more than enough money, I'm more surprised about the fact that we don't see more MTBers on the road, a superstar like Schurter makes more than enough money (around 500k, if we include sponsers), but many great riders who are able to finish in the top 10 make only a tenth of that, not to mention the top Marathon MTB riders who are also not exactly the wealthiest.
I've heard rumours about Hirt going to Bahrain, the Carera brothers are his agents, so it would make sense. Having Cink as a teammate and many other eastern european riders, mostly Slowenians, would probably also make things a bit easier for him.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Exactly, top CX guys earn more than enough money, I'm more surprised about the fact that we don't see more MTBers on the road, a superstar like Schurter makes more than enough money (around 500k, if we include sponsers), but many great riders who are able to finish in the top 10 make only a tenth of that, not to mention the top Marathon MTB riders who are also not exactly the wealthiest.
I've heard rumours about Hirt going to Bahrain, the Carera brothers are his agents, so it would make sense. Having Cink as a teammate and many other eastern european riders, mostly Slowenians, would probably also make things a bit easier for him.

Talking about Slovenians, I wonder if Bahrain management also might be interested in Spilak.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

liamito said:
Mayomaniac said:

Talking about Slovenians, I wonder if Bahrain management also might be interested in Spilak.
I thought the same, but he seems to be happy at Katusha, so I don't know if he's willing to sign with another team.

Re:

StryderHells said:
It's just been announced that 20 year old Australian climber Cyrus Monk will join Cannondale as a stagiaire for the second half of the season http://slipstreamsports.com/cyrus-monk-earns-cannondale-drapac-stagiaire-position/ he comes through the Drapac Pat's Veg Devo team. Been following him for a while now and has a ton of potential, his first race will be the Tour of Britain.

Ah! Posted yesterday that Cannondale would be in the running for at least one of the young Australian talents in the under 23's - Good chance for Monk to show his stuff and maybe get a contract for 2018 and 2019.

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
It's just been announced that 20 year old Australian climber Cyrus Monk will join Cannondale as a stagiaire for the second half of the season http://slipstreamsports.com/cyrus-monk-earns-cannondale-drapac-stagiaire-position/ he comes through the Drapac Pat's Veg Devo team. Been following him for a while now and has a ton of potential, his first race will be the Tour of Britain.

Ah! Posted yesterday that Cannondale would be in the running for at least one of the young Australian talents in the under 23's - Good chance for Monk to show his stuff and maybe get a contract for 2018 and 2019.

Plenty of stagiaires don't automatically get a contract the following season with the team they trial with, Nick Schultz got a stagiaire gig with Orica last season and didn't get a contract but showed enough to get one with Caja Rural. Monk is only 20 so this experience will be of great value but at this stage I wouldn't expect to see him in the WT next season, the great thing is he's still completing a science degree whilst racing whilst racing which is admirable. He looks to have the talent to make a solid pro but isn't just relying on cycling as a career, this is one of the things I really like about the Drapac Pat's Veg team, they are giving riders a chance to race and study so they just don't end up on the scrap heap if they don't make it as a pro cyclist.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
StryderHells said:

Plenty of stagiaires don't automatically get a contract the following season with the team they trial with, Nick Schultz got a stagiaire gig with Orica last season and didn't get a contract but showed enough to get one with Caja Rural. Monk is only 20 so this experience will be of great value but at this stage I wouldn't expect to see him in the WT next season, the great thing is he's still completing a science degree whilst racing whilst racing which is admirable. He looks to have the talent to make a solid pro but isn't just relying on cycling as a career, this is one of the things I really like about the Drapac Pat's Veg team, they are giving riders a chance to race and study so they just don't end up on the scrap heap if they don't make it as a pro cyclist.

I wholly endorse young riders studying at University for as long as possible.

mariposa said:
MatParker117 said:
Landa to Movistar
Izzaguire reunion at Bahrain
Castroveijo to Sky

Please god let Castro resign for Movistar! Not good that the hasn't already done so though so if not Movistar please
anyone but Sky.

Why? He will have exactly the same role at Sky. He will be a very useful dom on the flats, hilly/medium mountain stages and TTTs. Beside he will have a free role in TTs and in smaller races going for stages. He's the Kiriyenka of Movistar.

edit: thanks Breh ;)

Re:

MatParker117 said:
Landa to Movistar
Castroveijo to Sky

Far from sure. Movistar currently doesn't have the budget to sign Landa for at least more than 1 year. They have already spent a lot of money on the new contracts of Quintana (2019) and Valverde (2018). That is also one of the reasons why Unzue hasn't resigned riders like Amador and Castroviejo yet ( and in the case of Castro you will get these rumours), although i think Castro will stay.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2017/06/21/actualidad/1498046566_703089.html

Far from sure. Movistar currently doesn't have the budget to sign Landa for at least more than 1 year. They have already spent a lot of money on the new contracts of Quintana (2019) and Valverde (2018). That is also one of the reasons why Unzue hasn't resigned riders like Amador and Castroviejo yet ( and in the case of Castro you will get this rumours), although i think Castro will stay.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2017/06/21/actualidad/1498046566_703089.html[/quote]

Report in Ciclismo a Fondo saying Landa has reached an agreement with Landa and probably Roson will join them as well.

http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/competicion/noticias-competicion/articulo/mikel-landa-jaime-roson-ficharan-movistar-team-2018

Vesica said:
mariposa said:
MatParker117 said:
Landa to Movistar
Castroveijo to Sky

Please god let Castro resign for Movistar! Not good that the hasn't already done so though so if not Movistar please
anyone but Sky.

Why? He will heave exactly the same role at Sky. He will be a very useful dom on the flats, hilly mountain stages and TTTs. Beside he will have a free role in TTs and in smaller races going for stages. He's the Kiriyenka of Movistar.

you missed the bolded. "anyone but sky". the problem for MAriposa is not CAstro. it is Sky.
let CAstro do the same domestique role in ANY team, but not for those evil guys at Sky

mariposa said:
Far from sure. Movistar currently doesn't have the budget to sign Landa for at least more than 1 year. They have already spent a lot of money on the new contracts of Quintana (2019) and Valverde (2018). That is also one of the reasons why Unzue hasn't resigned riders like Amador and Castroviejo yet ( and in the case of Castro you will get this rumours), although i think Castro will stay.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2017/06/21/actualidad/1498046566_703089.html

Report in Ciclismo a Fondo saying Landa has reached an agreement with Landa and probably Roson will join them as well.

http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/competicion/noticias-competicion/articulo/mikel-landa-jaime-roson-ficharan-movistar-team-2018[/quote]

That's just a copy-paste article from the one of Gazzetta.

According to Marca there isn't a deal between Landa and Movistar yet, and he would be close to resigning with Sky..

http://www.marca.com/ciclismo/2017/06/21/594a4fd846163f3d3b8b4604.html