• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Like I mentioned earlier, Dyball's points per race days ratio is quite decent, comparable to guys like Gaudu (but in much poorer races), Stokbro's was "okay" last year and very mediocre this year, and Sunderland's was downright poor every year so far. Also, Sunderland has no wins so it can't be "their win ratio over a time period across the whole UCI calendar.." that identified him either.
Don't forget that Sunderland and Stokbro only turned 23 this year. But yes, Di Data is probably the only WT team who would have them, they are PCT riders.

Visconti still has a contract for 2020, but the rest of the team is looking rather bad. If they don't win the Coppa Italia they are in a really bad situation and KTM isn't exactly known for having a lot of influence, unlike Cipo for example who does what he can and is probably the main reason for all the Bardiani wildcards.
Bardiani ride on Guerciotti bikes.

maestri-1030x736.jpg

According to Het Nieuwsblad, a UCI arbitration panel has found that a verbal preliminary agreement of some kind means that Sam Bennett can’t leave Bora.

What happens now is up in the air. This strikes me as the kind of restrictive employment ruling that employment courts in many countries take a dim view of, and reports suggest that the courts are a possible next port of call. That said, arbitration exists to try to deny people access to the courts so who knows.

The other options are that Bennett stays or that Bora extract cash from someone to let him go. If I had to bet on an outcome it’s the last one. I just cant see any sprinter staying at a team that won’t let him ride the Tour and has actively thwarted his attempt to leave with the good grace Bennett showed about his situation this year. It would get very messy and very public. Not even another ten or fifteen wins is worth warfare inside the team. Or at least it probably isn’t.

According to Het Nieuwsblad, a UCI arbitration panel has found that a verbal preliminary agreement of some kind means that Sam Bennett can’t leave Bora.

What happens now is up in the air. This strikes me as the kind of restrictive employment ruling that employment courts in many countries take a dim view of, and reports suggest that the courts are a possible next port of call. That said, arbitration exists to try to deny people access to the courts so who knows.

The other options are that Bennett stays or that Bora extract cash from someone to let him go. If I had to bet on an outcome it’s the last one. I just cant see any sprinter staying at a team that won’t let him ride the Tour and has actively thwarted his attempt to leave with the good grace Bennett showed about his situation this year. It would get very messy and very public. Not even another ten or fifteen wins is worth warfare inside the team. Or at least it probably isn’t.
Bora are absolute * if they don't let Bennett go lol

Surely, in such a case it's most important to look at where the rider wants to be, as to avoid internal conflict on the team.
Sosa, for whatever reason, seems to in the end having preferred Sky/INEOS (even if simply because of an offer of more money), whereas Bennett seems to prefer getting away from Bora.

He even made a video confirming the move to Trek and it didn't look like he doesn't want to race for Trek. It all changed when Acquadro suddenly jumped in, persuaded Sosa to sack his old agent for him and promised him way more salary at Sky. That's basically the whole story. So there wasn't only the "verbal agreement", but also proof in form of the video.

Don't forget that Sunderland and Stokbro only turned 23 this year. But yes, Di Data is probably the only WT team who would have them, they are PCT riders.
No, Stokbro is still under 23. He had offers or discussions with other teams. The ones mentioned were Ag2R and Trek. He has paid dues for a couple years with victory in the U23 RVV as the best result. Not supertalented but consistently good and it would be really weird if he had not gone to a WT team.

W

wtf is a “verbal preliminary agreement “?

I’m sure there must be something we’re not being told about the Bennett situation. And I’m still trying to work out a way that this doesn’t come back to Sam having done or signed something very recklessly at some point. And the team has been great for him for several years now, so you can understand a reluctance on either side to part ways.

But even allowing for all that, Bora still look like *** for basically benching him/putting him in the B team for the full season, and then turning around and saying “no you can’t go.”

Is it as simple as “don’t go to Quickstep”? “There’s an offer from Trek for you, Sam. And Astana have no sprinters, they’d love to have you. Cmon, we’ll release you to anyone, just not Quickstep.”

W

wtf is a “verbal preliminary agreement “?

I’m sure there must be something we’re not being told about the Bennett situation. And I’m still trying to work out a way that this doesn’t come back to Sam having done or signed something very recklessly at some point. And the team has been great for him for several years now, so you can understand a reluctance on either side to part ways.

But even allowing for all that, Bora still look like *** for basically benching him/putting him in the B team for the full season, and then turning around and saying “no you can’t go.”

Is it as simple as “don’t go to Quickstep”? “There’s an offer from Trek for you, Sam. And Astana have no sprinters, they’d love to have you. Cmon, we’ll release you to anyone, just not Quickstep.”
It's as simple as Bennett and Bora had a statement of intent that dates back to May saying that Bennett will extend.

If that is considered a legally binding agreement, he has to stay unless there is a buy out.

It's as simple as Bennett and Bora had a statement of intent that dates back to May saying that Bennett will extend.

If that is considered a legally binding agreement, he has to stay unless there is a buy out.

That's the bit I don't understand. May.

He's known since before the season that he wouldn't ride the Tour or the Giro. But he still signed a paper/shook hands/pinky swore to ride for Bora in 2020. It makes no sense on any level that he would do that, even if he wanted to stay with them.

I can't see a reason for him to commit to that, unless Bora made it a condition of him getting the Vuelta. And that would surely be at the very least problematic for Bora.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS