• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Demare won a stage in the Giro this season so it’s a bit unfair to compare him with the other you’re mentioning

About Movistar, is there some place you can see a list of contracted riders for next season?

Demare still wins sometimes, but against the top guys it only happens in chaotic situations or hardman sprints. That’s admirable in that he has found ways to sometimes beat faster men, but it also indicates that a lot of sprinters these days are just faster than him. The three French sprinters were supposed to be the future top tier.

Demare still wins sometimes, but against the top guys it only happens in chaotic situations or hardman sprints. That’s admirable in that he has found ways to sometimes beat faster men, but it also indicates that a lot of sprinters these days are just faster than him. The three French sprinters were supposed to be the future top tier.
I think it'd be interesting to see Demare compete with the top sprinters. I agree that he needs a hard race to win, but that's not a knock on him I don't think. Clearly he's the one of the 3 French sprinters who has kicked on the most. But this year in particular he missed out because Thibaut was all-in for GC, so no room for a sprinter (I think FDJ need to get a bit more out of Pinot's support crew to justify that, but that's neither here nor there...)

I think it'd be interesting to see Demare compete with the top sprinters. I agree that he needs a hard race to win, but that's not a knock on him I don't think. Clearly he's the one of the 3 French sprinters who has kicked on the most. But this year in particular he missed out because Thibaut was all-in for GC, so no room for a sprinter (I think FDJ need to get a bit more out of Pinot's support crew to justify that, but that's neither here nor there...)

Demare seems to do OK in the crosswinds though, I think he could have been a help to Pinot in the stage of the tour when he lost time in xwinds

According to wielerflits Riwal-Readynez will sign three Dutch riders: Martijn Budding, Arvid de Kleijn en Nick van der Lijke. The first two are from the Dutch continental circuit whereas Van der Lijke spent the last seasons at Roompot. The team still has two open spots for which the consider among others some Dutch riders.

Mitchelton Scott continue the vein of signing Italian riders who have come from non- Italian PC teams - It makes sense that Movistar is interested in Dennis as he will give them wins which may be needed in 2020 and of course he can ride as a rouluer.

Arkea signs a whole bunch of rider. (Owsian, McLay, N. Bouhanni, Boudat, B. Declercq, and Noppe)

De la Cruz to UAE

Last edited:
Reactions: LaFlorecita
Just decided to make a break-down of the future fates of the Virtu-ladies:

Katrine Aalerud: Movistar (2021)
Marta Bastianelli: Alé Cipollini (2020)
Sofia Bertizzolo: Movistar (2021)
Barbara Guarischi: Movistar (2021)
Anouska Koster: Parkhotel Valkenburg (2020)
Mieke Kröger: Hitec (2020)
Birgitte Krogsgaard: Unknown
Emilie Moberg: Unknown
Rachel Neylan:
Casa Dorada (2020)
Louise Norman Hansen: Illy Bikes
Katarzyna Pawlowska: Unknown
Sara Penton: Unknown
Trine Schmidt: Illy Bikes (interestingly according to WCS, she joined them this year…)
Christina Siggaard: Lotto-Soudal (2020)
Emilie Moberg is off to Drops Cycling next year, along with Elise Marie Olsen.
https://www.dropscycling.com/news/norwegian-duo-head-to-drops-for-2020

What is going to happen with Ineos?

Only 22 riders signed, Henao & Kiryienka to re-sign I guess plus Amador signing so still 5 max could sign? I guess it’ll be 3 but who?

Rohan Dennis
Tom Pidcock
Pello Bilbao
Sam Bennett
Peter Kennaugh
Leopold Konig
Taylor Phinney
Mikel Nieve
Esteban Chaves
Ruben Fernandez
Ian Boswell
Matteo Fabbro
Valerio Conti

Only 22 riders signed, Henao & Kiryienka to re-sign I guess plus Amador signing so still 5 max could sign? I guess it’ll be 3 but who?

Rohan Dennis
(1)Tom Pidcock
(2)Pello Bilbao
(3)Sam Bennett
(4)Peter Kennaugh

Leopold Konig
Taylor Phinney
Mikel Nieve
Esteban Chaves
Ruben Fernandez
Ian Boswell
Matteo Fabbro
Valerio Conti

1. He's stated repeatedly that he's not going WT.
  2. Apparently he's been rumoured very strongly to Bahrain
  3. Isn't it either stay or DQ for him?
  4. I thought he was as good as retired

Rohan Dennis
Tom Pidcock
Pello Bilbao
Sam Bennett
Peter Kennaugh
Leopold Konig
Taylor Phinney
Mikel Nieve
Esteban Chaves
Ruben Fernandez
Ian Boswell
Matteo Fabbro
Valerio Conti

Pidcock is not going WT yet. Bilbao as Redhead said is heading to Bahrain. Kennaugh is done with cycling, taking up triathlon. Konig I imagine is probably done with cycling as well. Bennett is a no for Ineos, they do not provide any kind of support for sprinters, he wants to ride the Tour and that would not happen at Ineos.

Chaves & Nieve will be renew with Mitchelton Scott.

As for the others who knows? Phinney could possible retire. Boswell coming off a bad injury.

I think Ineos could sign Hayter, that would not surprise.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
Caicedo extends with EF, which comes as no surprise because many websites already thought he had a contract for 2020:

Pidcock is not going WT yet. Bilbao as Redhead said is heading to Bahrain. Kennaugh is done with cycling, taking up triathlon. Konig I imagine is probably done with cycling as well. Bennett is a no for Ineos, they do not provide any kind of support for sprinters, he wants to ride the Tour and that would not happen at Ineos.

Chaves & Nieve will be renew with Mitchelton Scott.

As for the others who knows? Phinney could possible retire. Boswell coming off a bad injury.

I think Ineos could sign Hayter, that would not surprise.
Chaves will probably see his career out at MTS and Nieve seems happy there too.

I doubt Dennis will join, at the absolute least he will want freedom to go for TTs, he also wants to ride more important stage races and GTs for general - that's not going to happen with Froome, Bernal, Thomas, Carapaz, Sivakov, Hart, Dunbar etc. At most he'd get the TDU, then spend the rest of the year as a tow motor - that's not his style. Say what you will about Dennis, but he's a racer and I suspect results are more important to him than a few extra euros. At Ineos the only time he will ever get to ride 100% for himself will be Worlds ITT and Nationals, if Ineos let him put it on his calendar.

Kennaugh seems to be in a better place with his hiatus, I wouldn't be surprised if he quietly disappears or joins staff. Konig has hardly gotten a ride since joining Sky/Ineos, if I was him I'd be looking elsewhere.

That really only leaves Fernandez, Fabbro, and Conti.