• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Travis is the Man

I know he’s been singled out with a select few others on an appreciation thread, but I want to salute him here. He did what no one else—not the few brave riders like Bassons who tried to stand up to LA, the French who investigated LA for two years, the SCA trial, Walsh and his books, Kimmage and his articles, Ressiott and his revelations of the 1999 samples, and on and on—were unable to do: he brought LA to justice. He was finally able to make the case for doping where everyone else had failed.

He had a lot of help, and some lucky breaks—particularly Floyd’s recanting—but it still required an enormous amount of effort, skill and patience: first, to locate the witnesses and persuade them to cooperate, with little or no help from the feds; second, to weave their stories into a coherent narrative that was so compelling that it would convince anyone beyond reasonable doubt without the need for a single positive test; third, to stand up to the legal delaying tactics LA’s team tried to use to avoid being sanctioned; and perhaps least appreciated, to accomplish all this in a very narrow window of time: following the dropping of the federal case, when he could really begin the process, and prior to the Olympics, because several of the witnesses were likely to participate.

Moreover, throughout the entire process, Tygart has taken the high road. He has tempered justice with mercy, offering to let LA keep many of his titles, if only he would cooperate. At every step in the legal process begun by LA’s team, he gave them all the time they needed and more. And while he has been sharply critical of both LA and the other five who were charged, along with the UCI itself, he has not gloated over his success, nor stooped to demeaning ad hominems.

Tygart, you are the man of the hour. Very well done, sir.

Travis should run a new Cycling Anti-Doping Agency that is independent of the UCI, so the UCI can focus on promoting the sport without getting bogged down in doping, except to help defend cyclists. I mean, it's the union for cyclists, so it should defend them.

CADA should be at least as independent as Internal Affairs divisions are within police departments.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Travis should run a new Cycling Anti-Doping Agency that is independent of the UCI, so the UCI can focus on promoting the sport without getting bogged down in doping, except to help defend cyclists. I mean, it's the union for cyclists, so it should defend them.

CADA should be at least as independent as Internal Affairs divisions are within police departments.

I agree. The UCI, for it's own good and the good of the sport, needs to remove itself from enforcement.

Coincidently, I just read Armstrong's August 23rd statement. Lance really tries to vilify USADA, while floating the impression that he, Lance E. Armstrong, is so noble, sweet and courageous.

I chuckled at this passage:
"At every turn, USADA has played the role of a bully, threatening everyone in its way and challenging the good faith of anyone who questions its motives or its methods..."

http://communities.washingtontimes....tement-tour-de-france-winner-lance-armstrong/

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Tygart did his job. He can be proud of doing it well, and in the face of some adversity, but he just did his job. I am pleased that we have solid professionals to rely on when others in this sport lack professionalism; I don't single them out for praise, I just wish that the others would do their jobs.

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Before we get too carried away in hero worship of this Mister Tygart, let's take a critical examination of all the flaws in this 'Reasoned' Decision.

1). Near the bottom of page 98 he spelled USADA wrong. USADA! The name of his own freakin agency. Dreadful sloppy work.

Ummm. That's all I got.

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Travis is a very angry man. Good interview with Matt Seaton:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/23/lance-armstrong-appeal-usada-uci

another example of the UCI attempting to escape responsibility for their failures and it is quite sad they would continue to resort to such underhanded tactics at this time," said Tygart. "This is absolutely fiction, made up by them to justify their ineptness at failing to prevent this 'great heist' in their sport."

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
IFRider said:
Travis is a very angry man. Good interview with Matt Seaton:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/23/lance-armstrong-appeal-usada-uci

The thing that is just appalling about the UCI is that they continue, even after yesterday's farce, to do everything in their power to try and thwart the ADA's and to backstop Armstrong, all the while ignoring their actual jobs.

They say themselves, they are supposed to be in the enforcement business. Why they are embarking on this sort of crap is just shameful.

Sarcastic Wet Trout said:
Before we get too carried away in hero worship of this Mister Tygart, let's take a critical examination of all the flaws in this 'Reasoned' Decision.

1). Near the bottom of page 98 he spelled USADA wrong. USADA! The name of his own freakin agency. Dreadful sloppy work.

Ummm. That's all I got.

I missed that, good catch. I did catch in one of those 202 pages a missing . at the end of a sentence. Seemed a bit careless. Rush job? ;-)

Totally the man, of course! This talent needs to be exploited for greater good. Catching petty dopers is important, but there's more in life than sports cheats.

I bet we are so used with corruption that when a man does his job he is automatically selected as target for hero worship. Speaks volumes about the current situation.

All in favour for this man though. If only we had few more of his caliber. How about in areas concerning politics, economy and financial matters?

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well done, Travis. Well done.

[Wiser's clap]

Btw, how in the heck do you post pictures in this place? I go to the 'insert image' and enter url but it doesn't work.

No_Balls said:
I bet we are so used with corruption that when a man does his job he is automatically selected as target for hero worship. Speaks volumes about the current situation.

All in favour for this man though. If only we had few more of his caliber. How about in areas concerning politics, economy and financial matters?

I agree. Everything he doesn, is how I like to handle things, or aspire to do things. Nothing special about it, but a job well done has become rare. Let's hope he'll have a following.