• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TT loss: Nibali against Wiggins Giro 2013

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How much time will Nibali lose against Wiggins?

• Don't care for sky train in giro, gonna rewatch giro 2010

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
cineteq said:
If you were realistic, and acknowledge what he's done this year, you'd agree with me. Instead you prefer to underrate him and play LaFleur victim's card. :rolleyes:

:confused:

He's been great this year and I've stressed his TT improvements very early in the season. But we're talking about a 55kms time trial here. He hasn't done anything remotely similar to this since last July, there's no way you can be sure he'll be close to Wiggo.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm a big Nibali fan too and I'm skeptical about him getting within two minutes on the long time trial, but I would be skeptical about most riders getting within two minutes of Super Wiggo in a 55k time-trial. Especially considering Sky has looked near unbeatable in races they properly target.

SafeBet said:
:confused:

He's been great this year and I've stressed his TT improvements very early in the season. But we're talking about a 55kms time trial here. He hasn't done anything remotely similar to this since last July, there's no way you can be sure he'll be close to Wiggo.
The other side of the coin is Wiggins, will he perform like last July? See what I mean jelly bean?

cineteq said:
The other side of the coin is Wiggins, will he perform like last July? See what I mean jelly bean?

I'd take you up on an avatar bet if I'm not already tied to another Giro ITT avatar bet. You should take it up with Safebet though, although I suspect he has a bet that matches his name :D

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:

There isn't another side of the coin here. Wiggins has shown that he can kill most everyone on a long time-trial and until Nibali starts finishing top-3 in every time-trial he enters there is no reason to believe he'll finish with a couple of minutes of Wiggins over 55km. We can hope Wiggins is distracted by the Tour or that Specialized and magically made Nibbles 1 second a KM faster than last year, but there is nothing to suggest either will happen at this point in time.

whittashau said:
There isn't another side of the coin here. Wiggins has shown that he can kill most everyone on a long time-trial and until Nibali starts finishing top-3 in every time-trial he enters there is no reason to believe he'll finish with a couple of minutes of Wiggins over 55km. We can hope Wiggins is distracted by the Tour or that Specialized and magically made Nibbles 1 second a KM faster than last year, but there is nothing to suggest either will happen at this point in time.
That was last year. So far he hasn't shown it, but it doesn't mean he can be ahead of Nibali by 1 sec.

wwabbit said:
I'd take you up on an avatar bet if I'm not already tied to another Giro ITT avatar bet. You should take it up with Safebet though, although I suspect he has a bet that matches his name :D
What's exactly the bet?

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Would be very interesting if Wiggins is right behind Nibali at the start of the first itt.
It won't surprise me if Wiggo and Sky try to engineer that order in preceding stages.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The fridge in the blue trees said:
3' in the TT
Under 1' in the MTT
10" gain for Astana in the TTT
1' for Nibali time bonifications
2'50" or less to gain back

I wonder how much Purito gained on bonuses last year if Nibali is gonna gain more. :)

iZnoGouD said:
Wiggins has new TT bike with 15% less drag, i expect him to gain 5 minutes on Nibali on the long TT

How much drag is caused by the bike versus the rider (assuming a good TT position) ?

At the end of the day 15% less drag from the bike probably isn't getting more than a few seconds.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Astana to absolute smoke the TTT! And, Nibs is in the best frame of mind and shape ever therefore, he only loses close to a minute in the long ITT and easily makes up time with bonifications.

Nibali FTW

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The TTT: 6-8 seconds. (Don't think Sky will win this and no more than 35 secs from first to last)
The long TT: 1 min 25.
The uphill TT: 40 seconds.

About 2:15-2:20.

TRENDING THREADS