• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TT results?

Well its Leipheimer with Contador 18 seconds back followed by Zabriskie. As GKS asked in the Castilla y Leon thread: "What now? Mountain stages are next up." (Paraphrasing.)

Leipheimer plays loyal domestique in spite of the leader's jersey? I imagine that the pressure on Contador must me enormous. Leipheimer is pretty much his equal overall in stage races, which means Contador has to work hard not just to defeat his opponents on other teams but also to stay ahead of his teammate in the standings. Will either make you a stronger rider or a nervous wreck. With Leipheimer's edge in ITT's, Contador is obligated to get as much time as he can on mountainous stages.

Unlike most domestiques Leipheimer's talent is such that he should be leading his own team in every stage race he competes. This is what baffles me somewhat about Leipheimer. He obviously possesses the ability to win a grand tour, even the Tour and yet with his career nearing its end and him getting better results now than ever, he's content to play second or third fiddle, while picking up the scraps of like ToC. He's recently been quoted as saying he thinks he has a chance in the Tour (????). I can't see how one can play loyal domestique if they're not so secretly harboring their own ambitions of an overall win. Now its possible with his stellar time trial talents that he could be the one who ends up with the best time after the initial ITT. This also applies to the Giro after the 61 km ITT. Leipheimer is always there, lurking in the shadows, waiting for that opportunity.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Leipheimer plays loyal domestique in spite of the leader's jersey? I imagine that the pressure on Contador must me enormous.

What about 'giving' Leipheimer the overall win, no pressure on Contador, he asserts himself as a leader i.e. he is in the position to give away presents, and he might make a friend in the Astana team...

As is common in those sitiuations, AC will praise Leipheimer for his great early season form and say that he is still on track for a great Tour de France form.

He keeps his cards close to his chest. I think AC is a lot smarter than LA gives him credit for. He is super strong with all round ability and if the astana boys give him some protection he will rock on. so maybe the main thing he should learn form LA is his ability to inspire. I reckon 8 TDF should do it, with a few Giro's and Veulta's on either side;)

Bala Verde said:
What about 'giving' Leipheimer the overall win, no pressure on Contador, he asserts himself as a leader i.e. he is in the position to give away presents, and he might make a friend in the Astana team...

As is common in those sitiuations, AC will praise Leipheimer for his great early season form and say that he is still on track for a great Tour de France form.

...leaving Bruyneel to use that as a reason to continue to treat Contador as an immature neo-pro instead of a 3 grand tour winner. "Can't even win a minor Tour in his home country"...."the pressure is too immense for him"..."Lance and Levi are my safe bets and we'll prep Bertie for future success when L and L are retired". This is just my own personal interpretation of the ongoing soap opera that is ONE LANCE TO LIVE(STRONG).

Angliru said:
Unlike most domestiques Leipheimer's talent is such that he should be leading his own team in every stage race he competes. This is what baffles me somewhat about Leipheimer. He obviously possesses the ability to win a grand tour, even the Tour and yet with his career nearing its end and him getting better results now than ever, he's content to play second or third fiddle, while picking up the scraps of like ToC.QUOTE]

I agree. And it makes the races less fun to watch. I wanna see all these guys racing AGAINST each other, not FOR each other.

I really believe that they have a chance for a podium sweep in July. It's silly that Astana has all that talent and there are teams whose only goal is a stage win b/c they lack the fire power.

I understand Kloden: he doesn't seem to like being a GC captain in Grand Tours. But guys like Leipheimer and Zubeldia should be running the show for another team.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Well its Leipheimer with Contador 18 seconds back followed by Zabriskie. As GKS asked in the Castilla y Leon thread: "What now? Mountain stages are next up." (Paraphrasing.)

Leipheimer plays loyal domestique in spite of the leader's jersey? I imagine that the pressure on Contador must me enormous. Leipheimer is pretty much his equal overall in stage races, which means Contador has to work hard not just to defeat his opponents on other teams but also to stay ahead of his teammate in the standings. Will either make you a stronger rider or a nervous wreck. With Leipheimer's edge in ITT's, Contador is obligated to get as much time as he can on mountainous stages.

Unlike most domestiques Leipheimer's talent is such that he should be leading his own team in every stage race he competes. This is what baffles me somewhat about Leipheimer. He obviously possesses the ability to win a grand tour, even the Tour and yet with his career nearing its end and him getting better results now than ever, he's content to play second or third fiddle, while picking up the scraps of like ToC. He's recently been quoted as saying he thinks he has a chance in the Tour (????). I can't see how one can play loyal domestique if they're not so secretly harboring their own ambitions of an overall win. Now its possible with his stellar time trial talents that he could be the one who ends up with the best time after the initial ITT. This also applies to the Giro after the 61 km ITT. Leipheimer is always there, lurking in the shadows, waiting for that opportunity.
Leipheimer had his chance to be the undisputed leader at Rabobank and Gerolsteiner. He had his chance to do it again but he signed with Astana knowing that Contador was the leader. He's paid very well and knows his role.
When you ride for Bruyneel you know the pecking order so that is something Levi is comfortable with.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Contador can give Leipheimer all the presents he likes but he'll never buy his loyalty - Leipheimer is Armstrong's boy and gifting him a win in the hopes he'll change alliegances is just plain stupid.

Contador should have got out when he had the chance in stead of being subject to all this f*cktwittery

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Contador can give Leipheimer all the presents he likes but he'll never buy his loyalty - Leipheimer is Armstrong's boy and gifting him a win in the hopes he'll change alliegances is just plain stupid.

Contador should have got out when he had the chance in stead of being subject to all this f*cktwittery

Claro que si! And Contador know it, I'm positive about that. Es de ver...

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:

curious, from what l read he signed a contract with Astana 'til 2010? How can one "get out" from a contract? What chance did he have?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
...leaving Bruyneel to use that as a reason to continue to treat Contador as an immature neo-pro instead of a 3 grand tour winner. "Can't even win a minor Tour in his home country"...."the pressure is too immense for him"..."Lance and Levi are my safe bets and we'll prep Bertie for future success when L and L are retired". This is just my own personal interpretation of the ongoing soap opera that is ONE LANCE TO LIVE(STRONG).

Perhaps you are right, Bruyneel and Armthong are pretty close, so it is probably impossible for AC to change this relationship. I do believe however that it isn't in AC's interest to win as much as he can in the early season. He might be dead in July, when it all matters.

I mean Basso, the Schlecks, Gesink, Menchov, Evans, Sastre, they are all lying low. They probably enjoy the soap opera as well, and in July, when all the infighting has deteriorated morale and drained the riders (read: AC, because he continuously seems to have to 'prove' himself) energy, they'll be launching attack after attack.

bianchigirl said:

haha I totally agree, I tried to be cynical. I mean after the 'gift' of the ToC, the first thing that sprang from Levi's mouth was that he wants to do everything possible to help Armstrong (in whatever race he would compete in i.e. the TdF).. no mention of AC

I do doubt that Levi is strong enough for a three week event. As mentioned before, he was Gerolst and Rabo's leader, but he failed also due to injury, but aside that he never lasted long enough, or liked the role of team leader. In the Vuelta he performed well, but AC was the leader, and there was a general lack of great competitors. Sastre had already exhausted himself in the TdF, Gesink rode his first 3-week stage race, and Valverde also had a TdF in his legs. Who else was there to win?

I think he does better in 1 week stage races, such as ToC, P-N, and the Dauphine. I bet he wants to add that race to his palmares this year...

Contador drafting with Irizar. Contador caught Irizar for one minute but the Basque sat on his wheel, sometimes just one metre behind.
There was a raging headwind so this saved a lot of energy.
On occasions Irizar would pass Contador and give him a break.
The commies saw nothing, so neither got a time penalty.

Now a flat ITT with a strong headwind, dominated by the 'tots'.
The world's gone crazy.
Look at what followed.
Dave Zee
Stef Clemont
Denis Menchov
Gutierrez up there, but almost a minute and a half down.
2006 seems a distant memory.....or nightmare.

Oscar Sevilla?:eek:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Contador and Irizar should both have been hit with a time penalty or maybe even relegated to last and second last for their 2-up time trial yesterday. Zabriskie should really be second fastest.

Cadel Evans said something similar about the TTT in the Coppi e Bartali race, some teams cut a roundabout out but only got a 5 second penalty... when the move probably saved them 10 seconds alone.

Stani Kléber said:
Cadel Evans said something similar about the TTT in the Coppi e Bartali race, some teams cut a roundabout out but only got a 5 second penalty... when the move probably saved them 10 seconds alone.

It would have to be a big short cut.

30mph = 44 ft/sec
So for 10 secs you would need to cut 440 feet off the course.
Roughly 130 to 140 meters.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
OK, maybe not 10 seconds, it's hard to calculate but you're assuming a constant speed.

It was a wet roundabout lined with cobblestones, some teams took the correct 270 degree corner, some took the short cut at 90 degrees, it was significant.

Angliru said:
This is what baffles me somewhat about Leipheimer. He obviously possesses the ability to win a grand tour, even the Tour and yet with his career nearing its end and him getting better results now than ever, he's content to play second or third fiddle, while picking up the scraps of like ToC.

Wonder why.

The last rider I remember like that with "top talent", on the same "well prepared" team was Mr. Hamilton.

Bala Verde said:

I do doubt that Levi is strong enough for a three week event. As mentioned before, he was Gerolst and Rabo's leader, but he failed also due to injury, but aside that he never lasted long enough, or liked the role of team leader. In the Vuelta he performed well, but AC was the leader, and there was a general lack of great competitors. Sastre had already exhausted himself in the TdF, Gesink rode his first 3-week stage race, and Valverde also had a TdF in his legs. Who else was there to win?

I think he does better in 1 week stage races, such as ToC, P-N, and the Dauphine. I bet he wants to add that race to his palmares this year...

I don't usually come to the defense of Leipheimer but it seems that I have been inclined to do so more this year than any other. I can't understand how you can say that he's not strong enough for a 3 week event when in 2007 he finished within a minute of Contador and Evans in the final gc of the Tour.
In a support role at the Vuelta he was also on the podium. He has to be considered in the top 5 among the current grand contenders with Contador, Basso, Evans and Sastre with Armstrong as the unknown based on his 3 years away from competition. His climbing ability along with his world class ability versus the clock makes him a force to be reckoned with. For me his riding style isn't all that exciting but he's effective, efficient and seems to have tactical instincts that can't be undersestimated.

I agree though that he also excells at the one week major stage races. Now with Rabobank I don't think management had the utmost confidence in him at the time and rightly so based on his results and his frequent injuries. He just seems on a different arc of development than the standard rider. He seems to be getting better as he rolls further into his 30's which really can't be denied based on his results over the past 3 years. Being with Astana surely has helped immensely.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

I might be going out on a limb here, but I respectfully have to disagree with that statement.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
C
Now a flat ITT with a strong headwind, dominated by the 'tots'.
The world's gone crazy.
Look at what followed.
Dave Zee
Stef Clemont
Denis Menchov
Gutierrez up there, but almost a minute and a half down.
2006 seems a distant memory.....or nightmare.

Oscar Sevilla?:eek:

I made the same point about Lamphanger and Dertie yesterday, but the post got pulled, and I recieved a warning for accusing riders of doping without evidence...

Henri Desgrange said:
I made the same point about Lamphanger and Dertie yesterday, but the post got pulled, and I recieved a warning for accusing riders of doping without evidence...

They don't play be JC rules, here, so best to make statements that are "open ended" and let folks decide for themselves, what you mean!;)

Can't comment upon Levis's:eek: performance, but Bertie was definitely on for a bit of "two up" with his EE mate.
Should have got a major time penalty. Instead he got to wear the points jersey.
LL was riding shotgun, today, so I expect the "world's best trialist" to hit the mountain accelerator, tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS