• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tuesday 26th April: Tour of Romandie - Prologue: Martigny, 3.5km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
He's won the Australian National time trial championship and at 19 he won the U23 Worlds. I don't think that counts as not showing anything when you're talking about a 21 year old.

And in any case, the physical characteristics needed to be a top track rider and those needed to win short flat road time trials are basically the same. He'll learn to take a corner, he'll get stronger as he ages, and he'll win a whole lot of prologues.

He's never won the elite Australian National Time Trial Championships.

And you have just proven my point.

Until he develops as a road cyclist, he won't be winning any prologues or time trials at this level and won't figure up there in the standings. Yet people expect that from him because he's a world record holder on the track. Still a few years away before he wins a race like this. But due to his history, people automatically think he'll ride a solid prologue/time trial at this level. Hence he is overrated on the road at the moment.

1. Jonathan Castroviejo (Euskaltel-Euskadi) 3:40.42
2. Taylor Phinney (BMC) 3:40.69
3. Leigh Howard (HTC) 3:41.55
4. Geoffrey Lequatre (RadioShack) 3:42.37
5. David Millar (Garmin-Cervélo) 3:42.52
6. Denis Van Winden (Rabobank) 3:43.40
7. Patrick Gretsch (HTC-Highroad) 3:43.90
8. Mark Renshaw (HTC-Highroad) 3:44.06
9. Alexandre Vinokourov (Astana) 3:44.37
10. Daniele Bennati (Leopard-Trek) 3:44.42

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
lol Failor Phinney, what a joke ....

No seriously though - last year winner of Flèche du Sud prologue, now almost Romandie. Quite a leap!

Parrulo said:
castro doesn't mean castle :p
It does. It's an archaic word (from Latin "castrum"). Although maybe -burg would be a better translation, it's more of a fortified town rather than a castle (Jonathan Oldenburg!)

Anyway, glad for Castroviejo. I'm slightly surprised because I thought it'd take him a bit longer to be at this level, but it's not like he's come out of nowhere. Also good to see Phinney up there despite his injuries.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
No, 2.9km race with a bunch of 90 and 180 degree corners is just a waste of a day.

Tony did perform. Nobody could excpect the diesel to make the Top 10 on sauch a tarck.

Why is that a waste of a day? It's a lot better than just another bunch sprint, with a long ITT later on there is no point in having a long prologue, a short, technical prologue is a pretty good way to start a short stage race IMO.

TRENDING THREADS