• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Two Brits Lead the Tour de France

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
gingerwallaceafro said:
Firstly, WTF!

Secondly, SKY wouldn't touch AC with a bargepole. For those that don't know, that's like a very long stick.

I believe we are in the 2 Brits Lead the Tour de France thread so here we are then.. Back on track - Hip, Hip, Hurray!!

LOL at this whole thread. SKY would have grabbed AC if they could have. And enough with the prejudice BS.

Sincerely,
GFY

the tour is weak this year, no Contador, no Andy Shleck. Last year Contador didn't know if he would be allowed into the TDF so he went full gas at the Giro and didn't have the reserves for the TDF, it was a calculated gamble. This is really Contador's time, everyone knows this. That being said, I was happy Evans won. This year, I'm mostly bored although I do like the ascent of Sagan.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Another amazing day, brilliant stuff guys! Fantastic team riding. Made me smile when Froome was suffering trying to get back on terms at the top of the Peyresourde, something was said between Wiggo and Froome and they were laughing.. I think they knew they'd all but won the Tour then.

Anyone who was meant to trouble them went out the back when Wiggo hit the front. Hopefully a more sedate day for them tomorrow before nailing the TT.

Roule Brittania!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
gingerwallaceafro said:
Another amazing day, brilliant stuff guys! Fantastic team riding. Made me smile when Froome was suffering trying to get back on terms at the top of the Peyresourde, something was said between Wiggo and Froome and they were laughing.. I think they knew they'd all but won the Tour then.

Anyone who was meant to trouble them went out the back when Wiggo hit the front. Hopefully a more sedate day for them tomorrow before nailing the TT.

Roule Brittania!

Does Britain have such a bad view of itself that a guy winning a bike race means that much?

I couldn't care less when Armstrong was winning that he was an American. And my favorite riders aren't even from the US. Nationalism is so passe'.

But hey, whatever makes you feel good.

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Does Britain have such a bad view of itself that a guy winning a bike race means that much?

I couldn't care less when Armstrong was winning that he was an American. And my favorite riders aren't even from the US. Nationalism is so passe'.

You won't find a bigger fan of America and Americans than me that isn't an American but if any country is patriotic and biased to their own successes, it is your good country. You do after all have a "world series" that only teams from your country participate in (OK, a couple of canadian teams as well).

There's nothing wrong with nationalism and patriotism - our nation is one of the things that defines us.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
richwagmn said:

You may be very isolated on this forum with that kind of view.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Wiggins_Sideburn said:
Then, how can you say they are awesome?

Because he likes those cyclists - he thinks their performances are awesome. What's so hard to grasp about that?

It's really sad when fans only like cyclists of their own nationality and despise those from other nationalities when they win. Sad, sad, sad.

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Apollonius said:
Because he likes those cyclists - he thinks their performances are awesome. What's so hard to grasp about that?

It's really sad when fans only like cyclists of their own nationality and despise those from other nationalities when they win. Sad, sad, sad.

How are there performances different from other riders from another country?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Wiggins_Sideburn said:
I see you that are from netherlands so are you saying this because you suck in most sports and makes you support contador.

Wow maybe tomorrow you can tell a guy from Faroe Isles that they really suck at sports too compared to England...

If you take size and population into account I think you will find Netherlands is doing pretty good compared to how small a country it is.

How does England fare against countries they should actually compare themselves too. for an example Germany, Italy and Spain?
Imo. If there's one country who is constantly underachieving in the big sports it surely has to be England?

And suddenly it all makes sense why you start a big w@nkfest every time you do well in sports... Us Northern Europeans has more important stuff to focus on. :p

Seriously how do you even reproduce? :confused:

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Sooooo much hate! :rolleyes: Great link by the way..

Well to answer your question, there aren't 2 Germans, Italians or Spaniards leading the Tour de France..

There isn't a German, Italian, or Spanish world champion either..

What sports do you want to compare with? On a topical theme http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/medals/historical-medals-beijing-2008/countries

Anyway let's not get bogged down with that whole anti-British/Wiggins negativity ********, as this isn't the thread!

This is where the party is and the sour grape bunch aren't allowed in!