• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

janraaskalt said:
Squire said:
There's hardly anyone left in the u23 ranks!
Who are the best u23's not going pro next year?
There is Marc Hirschi. All you need to know, really. ;)

There's actually not a lot of inspiring climbers for next year. I guess McNulty can make some noise if he manages to stay healthy. Tobias Foss is a solid Norwegian all-rounder. Robert Stannard will maybe pick up where Hindley, Hamilton and Storer left off. I'm excited to see if Joao Almeida can develop further. He had some good results in some smaller races this year.

In the classics department there is Jasper Philipsen, who was brilliant already as a first year U23 this season. Paris-Roubaix winner Nils Eekhoff, another first-year U23, was very good as a junior, but other than his PR win, he hasn't done much this year. French TT champion Alexis Brunel is another promising strongman.

Among the first-year U23s next season there's a few interesting names. Andrea Innocenti is a great Italian climbing talent. It will be interesting to see how good Thomas Pidcock will be, and how he balances cross and road. Andreas Leknessund, who dominated the junior time trials and did well in stage races this year, will also turn U23. However, outside of time trials, I don't think he will make much of an impact in his first year. Sebastian Berwick could become the new Aussie TT star.

There's probably some Danes who will do well, too. Bjerg of course, and maybe Vingegaard can return from his injury. Junior WC winner and rouleur beast Julius Johansen will also be U23.

I'll be surprised if some pro team doesn't pick up Mark Padun for next year. Lonardi will probably dominate flat Italian amateur races again if he's not signed by someone.

Re:

Squire said:

I'm sure there'll be some new ones coming in from the junior ranks. :p

---

As for Bjerg; I think I read a while back that he'd already (as good as) found a new team, if that's true then I really hope it isn't a pro-team. Probably the best if he stays at home for a few more years.

janraaskalt said:
motty89 said:
Haven't seen the race but 9th place and same time as 5th for Pidcock at Kruibeke is very impressive. Will be interesting to see what he can do this season.
We're not taking cyclocross seriously, are we? :eek:

Many guys with a past in cyclocross are now dominating the road scene. Sagan, Alaphillipe, Kreuziger and we haven't seen what MVP and Wout Van Aert can do if they fully focus on the road.

GenericBoonenFan said:
janraaskalt said:
motty89 said:
Haven't seen the race but 9th place and same time as 5th for Pidcock at Kruibeke is very impressive. Will be interesting to see what he can do this season.

Many guys with a past in cyclocross are now dominating the road scene. Sagan, Alaphillipe, Kreuziger and we haven't seen what MVP and Wout Van Aert can do if they fully focus on the road.

Stybar and Boom may not exactly be dominating, but I'd still say they're in the category of pretty good.

RedheadDane said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
janraaskalt said:
motty89 said:

Stybar and Boom may not exactly be dominating, but I'd still say they're in the category of pretty good.

Also why I didn't mention them, I'm also intrigued to know if the many basques in the pro peleton still ride CX during winters and if guys like Nieve, Izagirre, Landa used to CX during their youth. Iirc Bena still did before his illness.

janraaskalt said:
motty89 said:

Well, he does ride on the road (Junior ITT WC, Junior Paris Roubaix Winner) and he's stated his desire to move full time to road in the future so it is kinda relevant. He's a massive talent for cx and road.

Aside from the Pidcock to Wiggins rumours and the confirmation that Axeon have signed Cole Davis and Maikel Zijlaard, Sunweb adding Niklas Markl and Leon Heinschke, SEG signing Daan Hoole, Thymenn Arsensman and Minne Verboom and Contador's devo team signing Michele Gazzoli are there any other rumours/confirmations for where the current class of juniors will ride in 2018?

Keen to hear where Innocentini, Lombardi, Johanssen, Leknessund, Rastelli, Renard, Hollmann and Berwick will ride.

Re:

JosephD said:
Aside from the Pidcock to Wiggins rumours and the confirmation that Axeon have signed Cole Davis and Maikel Zijlaard, Sunweb adding Niklas Markl and Leon Heinschke, SEG signing Daan Hoole, Thymenn Arsensman and Minne Verboom and Contador's devo team signing Michele Gazzoli are there any other rumours/confirmations for where the current class of juniors will ride in 2018?

Keen to hear where Innocentini, Lombardi, Johanssen, Leknessund, Rastelli, Renard, Hollmann and Berwick will ride.

Who is Lombardi ?

Innocenti -> Maltinti Lampadari-Banca Cambiano
Johansen -> ColoQuick - Cult
Leknessund -> Uno-X Hydrogen Development Team
Rastelli -> Biesse Carrera Gavardo (new CT)
Renard -> Côtes d'Armor-Marie Morin
Berwick -> SEG Academy (rumour)

No news on Hollmann

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Which Johanssen? (Or 'Johansen' with just one 's')... it's a pretty common name.

Also; Innocentini and Lombardi are some seriously cool names. :cool:

Can you think of a junior/u23/professional cyclist other than Julius Johansen who is called Johansen? Of course he is the one that is being referred to and I’m sure you know it.

I bet hell freezes over the day you make a post without making a silly, tongue-in-cheek like smartass comment

Bushman said:
RedheadDane said:
Which Johanssen? (Or 'Johansen' with just one 's')... it's a pretty common name.

Also; Innocentini and Lombardi are some seriously cool names. :cool:

Can you think of a junior/u23/professional cyclist other than Julius Johansen who is called Johansen? Of course he is the one that is being referred to and I’m sure you know it.

I bet hell freezes over the day you make a post without making a silly, tongue-in-cheek like smartass comment

I was 99% sure, but I didn't wanna jump in here and assume it was the Danish guy, just because I haven't heard of a rider doesn't mean he - or she - doesn't exist. Besides, the spelling had me a little confused; seems like a pretty common thing in some countries to have that "extra" s.

Also the fact that I kinda thought it was "old news" that Julius was going to ColoQuick...

Thanks for the updates on the juniors guys, sorry, I meant Lonardi not Lombardi, curse of autocorrect and not checking my work :'(

And yes it was Julius Johansen I was referring too, mix of carelessness and typical British habit of spelling names with consecutive s was my downfall, sorry for causing of confusion.

Squire said:
janraaskalt said:
Squire said:
In the classics department there is Jasper Philipsen, who was brilliant already as a first year U23 this season. Paris-Roubaix winner Nils Eekhoff, another first-year U23, was very good as a junior, but other than his PR win, he hasn't done much this year. French TT champion Alexis Brunel is another promising strongman.

I also think Lotto-Soudal U23 duo Gerben Thijssen and Stan Dewulf can be players in the U23 Classics, since both had some nice results this year despite being just 19. Thijssen I think is also going to be pretty good in the sprints. Will be very interesting to see how Belgium manage the squad selection and leadership situation for the races like Flanders etc where you race for your country, rather than trade team, given they will have both Thijssen and Philipsen...

JoeD1997 said:
Squire said:
janraaskalt said:
Squire said:

I also think Lotto-Soudal U23 duo Gerben Thijssen and Stan Dewulf can be players in the U23 Classics, since both had some nice results this year despite being just 19. Thijssen I think is also going to be pretty good in the sprints. Will be very interesting to see how Belgium manage the squad selection and leadership situation for the races like Flanders etc where you race for your country, rather than trade team, given they will have both Thijssen and Philipsen...

Thijssen is a pure sprinter, he's really fast, but not really a guy for the classics. Dewulf is though (he's from 1997, not 1998). With Verwilst en Ghys already going pro he'll be the sole leader for Lotto-Soudal in the classic races and probably be the last man for Philipsen or even co-leader in some races for the Belgian team. He has a lot of talent, but isn't a winner as of yet. He always someone faster and he also had a lot of bad luck in some important races (like RVV and Gent-Wevelgem). It's good that he chose not to go pro this year.

TRENDING THREADS