• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
After the huge investment off last season it was expected to see this team dominating the world Tour, but till now the three big signings (Daniel Martin, Fabio Aru and Kristoff) have shown really poor performances nowhere near there best results, and also the biggest guys from last year like Rui Costa, Ben Swift and Ulissi (just to name a few) haven´t shown anything special this year.
How can a team that have invest so much gain so little?

Reactions: sevenall
Seems like another Katusha. They've been great at spending money and not getting much in the way of results. I don't know how high UAE's budget is but Katusha (at least 2 years ago) had a budget within 2 million euros of Sky. I still want to know what they spent it on.

Yes another Katusha, they've signed some big names but don't seem to have a serious project around them. I don't know. Saronni was average managing low-budget Lampre, it's unclear also what are their real objectives and what the sponsors want.

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken Emirates have only two wins this season throw kristoff in abu dhabi and oman but besides that he completly failed the cobbled classics, Aru had the tirreno where his 4th place in the queen stage has the only thing relatively good, and with martin I don´t know wahts being up with him. In stage races he hasn´t been slightly relevant and in amstel he did a DNF and I´m not seeing him bouncing back in fleche and Liege.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Let's see how they do in the Gts, but until now they had a pretty bad season.
You'd expect more from the reunited Saunier Duval dream team, but that kind of talk probably belongs into another subforum.

Re:

Leinster said:
After a pretty desperate start to the season, you have to say 2 stage wins, a gc top 10, and the overall combativity award is a pretty great return for the team.

Aye their season has been kind of rescued, a win on the Champs-Élysées for Kristoff is huge, and 8th in the GC plus a Mûr-de-Bretagne Stage 6 win with Martin puts a far more positive spin on things

Re: Re:

Inquitus said:
Leinster said:
After a pretty desperate start to the season, you have to say 2 stage wins, a gc top 10, and the overall combativity award is a pretty great return for the team.

Aye their season has been kind of rescued, a win on the Champs-Élysées for Kristoff is huge, and 8th in the GC plus a Mûr-de-Bretagne Stage 6 win with Martin puts a far more positive spin on things

If either of them do the Vuelta it could look a lot better too. Dan seems to have timed his peak for later in the year too.

According to Stickybottle, Martin's doing the Vuelta. He could conceivably do a good ride in San Sebastian too.

With the Worlds being the route that it is, it's hard to see what's left for Kristoff in the rest of the season, bar maybe the Binckbank or Paris-Tours, so I'd say if he wants a stage win or two to pad the Palmares, the Vuelta might be on the cards.

In the end the quality of their leaders saved their season: if you hire two guys still in their peak years who have between them won four of the five Monuments, it is likely that they will produce some big wins even if they muck up their targets in Spring. But the wider team is still not good. Martin and Kristoff produced largely under their own steam. Ulissi took a good win and that might kickstart his season too, but again if it does or doesn’t will be down to him. The team won’t help him much.

If they have as big a budget as has been suggested, they might bring in more stars. What they really need is to bring in better support for whoever they have leading. You can’t send a sprinter and a GC man to the Tour and have the sprinter surf wheels and the GC man take a stage after being invited to follow his old team’s wheels. At least one of them has to get serious support.

And look who is their newest sports director, none other than Neil Stephens, formerly one of them most prominent sports directors in Orica Greenedge (now Mitchelton Scott). I always loved watching his shenanigans in the Backstage pass of Vuealta a Espana.

G7Iqkqv.jpg

The news article:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/neil-stephens-joins-peiper-as-directeur-sportif-at-uae-team-emirates/

Re:

Breh said:
No doubt they've massively improved their staff. Stephens, Peiper and Matxin Fernandez especially. There's a reason a promising rider like Philipsen chose UAE over other teams.
IMHO the signings of Stephens, Peiper and Matxin are at least as important as their rider signings. Peiper and Stephens in particular have a lot to offer.

Ah, I'm glad there's a thread .... I was thinking about starting one. There were many disparaging remarks about UAE in the close season but they really have turned things around. And it's the young riders that are really impressing. Philipsen and Pogacar especially. Two races won by 20 year olds. They have rather eclipsed Evenepoel so far this year. With Gaviria and Consonni also showing well they've been up there with Quickstep and Astana so far this season.

42x16ss said:
Breh said:
No doubt they've massively improved their staff. Stephens, Peiper and Matxin Fernandez especially. There's a reason a promising rider like Philipsen chose UAE over other teams.
IMHO the signings of Stephens, Peiper and Matxin are at least as important as their rider signings. Peiper and Stephens in particular have a lot to offer.
I think the sacking of Saronni helped even more, the only good thing he has done as team manager was finding the big money, looking at riders improved under him there is only Ballan whereas there are dozens of riders not improved, faded or even disappeared in their tenure in the team.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
Ah, I'm glad there's a thread .... I was thinking about starting one. There were many disparaging remarks about UAE in the close season but they really have turned things around. And it's the young riders that are really impressing. Philipsen and Pogacar especially. Two races won by 20 year olds. They have rather eclipsed Evenepoel so far this year. With Gaviria and Consonni also showing well they've been up there with Quickstep and Astana so far this season.
It's a bit weird to compare them to Evenepoel. As they are more experienced and had some years in U23. Evenepoel went straight from junior to Pro, incomparable. Try comparing Evenepoel to the first year of people like Ulissi and Mohoric.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
armchairclimber said:
It's a bit weird to compare them to Evenepoel. As they are more experienced and had some years in U23. Evenepoel went straight from junior to Pro, incomparable. Try comparing Evenepoel to the first year of people like Ulissi and Mohoric.

Well, in as much as they are all very young lads in their first year on WT teams it's not so wild but in any case, I expect Evenepoel to really join the fun sooner rather than later.

TRENDING THREADS