• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2024, February 19-25

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
An expected victory by O'Connor who is in good form - He's out of contract and will attract interest from other teams.
How the hell was this an expected win? Dude would not have finished in the top 10 in case it came to a sprint. Peloton was asleep when they attacked and you could see it coming a mile away, but nobody responded, probably thinking UAE would close it down, but Bjerg was done so they got a gap.

Glad for O'Conner, don't get me wrong, he took the shot and it paid off. But i don't see how this was expected on this climb where differences are usually minimal if not a bunch sprint.

How the hell was this an expected win? Dude would not have finished in the top 10 in case it came to a sprint. Peloton was asleep when they attacked and you could see it coming a mile away, but nobody responded, probably thinking UAE would close it down, but Bjerg was done so they got a gap.

Glad for O'Conner, don't get me wrong, he took the shot and it paid off. But i don't see how this was expected on this climb where differences are usually minimal if not a bunch sprint.
We knew he was in decent shape after already winning a race this year. So it could be expected that he would do well here if they went for it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Van Eetvelt said he made a mistake and he thinks he could've done better, even battled for the win maybe. Was boxed in when O'connor and waited way too long cause he was scared of the wind.

Good sign for Sunday.

I also think Vine could've followed if he wasn't too busy looking at McNulty. Will be a good duel on Sunday, but I right now I would say O'Connor takes it.

Let's hope no GC rider crashes out in one of the next 3 sprint stages. Someone probably will tho.

That's not the same really. Surely you didn't expect him to win stage 1 or 2 either, because he was in form, did you? So why expect him to win on a climb where you would expect a bunch sprint?
Bar Adam Yates, O'Connor is probably the best climber here, certainly given the form he has already shown. So if he then wins on a climb, even one that usually doesn't provide huge gaps, is not that surprising.

Btw O'Connor's win was pretty similar to Vingegaard's, when the latter was still reasonably unknown. Attacked on pretty much the same spot as he did, clearly Ag2R have done their homework. That team has made progress over the winter, also tactically.

That's not the same really. Surely you didn't expect him to win stage 1 or 2 either, because he was in form, did you? So why expect him to win on a climb where you would expect a bunch sprint?
I don't agree with comparing a flat stage and a TT with a climb of 19km's at 5%. Sure it could've ended in a bunch sprint, but that's not necessarily always the case. I personally didn't expect him to win, but I get that other people might saw this coming. Or at least an attempt would've been made.

He was their protected rider and finished just inside the top-20. He's just not that good of a climber, but he keeps trying.
yeah, Foss yesterday said that this is the perfect climb for him, and he wants to give it a go. So apparently the team believed in him.

In the end, he finished just inside the Top 20, 8 seconds behind his team mate. So I really struggle to see how this is a good sign as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
yeah, Foss yesterday said that this is the perfect climb for him, and he wants to give it a go. So apparently the team believed in him.

In the end, he finished just inside the Top 20, 8 seconds behind his team mate. So I really struggle to see how this is a good sign as well.
How Ineos believes in GC Foss is one of cyclings great mysteries at this point.

The guy couldn't be more obviously an alround domestique but not more. He isn't even suited to be a stage hunter in the mountains.

Van Eetvelt said he made a mistake and he thinks he could've done better, even battled for the win maybe. Was boxed in when O'connor and waited way too long cause he was scared of the wind.

Good sign for Sunday.

I also think Vine could've followed if he wasn't too busy looking at McNulty. Will be a good duel on Sunday, but I right now I would say O'Connor takes it.

Let's hope no GC rider crashes out in one of the next 3 sprint stages. Someone probably will tho.
Couldn't be more obvious O Connor was the strongest man in the race honestly. They barely made any time back once he went away

Bar Adam Yates, O'Connor is probably the best climber here, certainly given the form he has already shown. So if he then wins on a climb, even one that usually doesn't provide huge gaps, is not that surprising.

Btw O'Connor's win was pretty similar to Vingegaard's, when the latter was still reasonably unknown. Attacked on pretty much the same spot as he did, clearly Ag2R have done their homework. That team has made progress over the winter, also tactically.
That he might be the best climber here is completely besides the point. This is not a stage where climbers put time into each other. Not even the best climbers in the world. Big groups in the last hundreds of meters, riders like Ganna only losing seconds instead of minutes. So again, him "as a climber" winning here, was about as expected as Foss "as a TT'er" winning the WCC ITT. Simply because every half decent climber was still there in the final kilometer, and of all the climbers, there are plenty who were more likely to win due to being better punchers or sprinters. There is a big difference between "not surprising" and "expected".
I don't agree with comparing a flat stage and a TT with a climb of 19km's at 5%. Sure it could've ended in a bunch sprint, but that's not necessarily always the case. I personally didn't expect him to win, but I get that other people might saw this coming. Or at least an attempt would've been made.
See my response to theyoungest. None of this makes him the expected winner on THIS mountain/finish. This wasn't Jebel Hafeet.

How Ineos believes in GC Foss is one of cyclings great mysteries at this point.

The guy couldn't be more obviously an alround domestique but not more. He isn't even suited to be a stage hunter in the mountains.
Not sure they 'believe' in him, but given the mess Ellingworth seemed to making of the team and transfers, he was probably worth a punt. And increasingly, it seems moving away from Jumbo is a preferred option for mere mortals to get opportunities. 9th at the Giro in 21 suggests he can climb. Though I seem to remember that was the year a lot of GC hopefuls crashed?

He was my favorite to win the stage - He did an exceptional ride to drop Wellens in Murcia and when he did a good ITT that my belief stronger - One thing about O'Connor is he is prepared to attack to win - I don't think he is as suited to Jaleel Haleef and is not my favorite for that stage.

Not sure they 'believe' in him, but given the mess Ellingworth seemed to making of the team and transfers, he was probably worth a punt. And increasingly, it seems moving away from Jumbo is a preferred option for mere mortals to get opportunities. 9th at the Giro in 21 suggests he can climb. Though I seem to remember that was the year a lot of GC hopefuls crashed?
I'd say the '21 Giro isn't even that good of a result. He literally dropped at least 1'20 on every big mountain stage, and the only time he dropped under 2 minutes was Alpe di Mera which was a very easy stage before the hard Cat 1 finish, and it was his only top 10 on a mountain stage.

It's not like there were huge positive outliers or breakout performances. He just grinded his way to 9th, and basically his only upside that Giro was that he didn't collapse and lose 20 minutes.

Reactions: SafeBet