• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI appeals Contador decision

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I have consistently heard that transfusions will be a focus of WADA's case.
there was nothing official from wada as to what evidence they will/may use regarding the very serious possibility that contador may have indeed transfused.

if a transfusion possibility was presented to cas by wada, a reasonable speculation would involve only 2 currently available and known lines of thought:

(i) blood passport
(ii) plastisizer test

the last one just got somewhat diminished.

the first one has always been on the table but we've never seen the details except the contador's experts general claims.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
your utterings (fair enough but clearly in the absence of all the details in front of cas) like 'i won't accept cas decision unless they agree with my criteria' or 'i wont trust for a minutes that the plasticizer test wont be brought up'...these and many other of your statements don't point to a serious, thoughtful scientist.

if this faulty approach is characterized by varying terms, one should thank susan, not yourself.

the facts remain as they are and don't change the substance...

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I do not suspect Contador to take drugs, despite his cocky egotisticness.

In my opinion he wants to be the best so much to achieve this falsely would feel like a failure in itself to him.

However i do not believe that this came from contaminated meat in Spain, for which the drug is banned on being used on cattle in the EU and only 1 cattle in the thousands and thousands tested had this drug in the system.

Maybe it came from somewhere else.... I have heard it can be found in asthmatic medication?

It would be a shame if he did take the drug and if he did then he should be banned but i believe he would rather win of his own ability then through an enhancing drug.

catmiles said:

In my opinion he wants to be the best so much to achieve this falsely would feel like a failure in itself to him.

However i do not believe that this came from contaminated meat in Spain, for which the drug is banned on being used on cattle in the EU and only 1 cattle in the thousands and thousands tested had this drug in the system.

Maybe it came from somewhere else.... I have heard it can be found in asthmatic medication?

It would be a shame if he did take the drug and if he did then he should be banned but i believe he would rather win of his own ability then through an enhancing drug.

most athletes would that if they could, but let`s be honest, do you really think it is possible to win witout peds?

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
most athletes would that if they could, but let`s be honest, do you really think it is possible to win witout peds?

I see what you mean and i personally dont particularly warm to the guy but i did think he had higher standards then to stoops to drugs.

I cant believe that it has taken sooooo long to come to the hearing FINALLY

catmiles said:
I see what you mean and i personally dont particularly warm to the guy but i did think he had higher standards then to stoops to drugs.

I cant believe that it has taken sooooo long to come to the hearing FINALLY

nothing to do with standars, Contador, Schleck, Samu, Evans, Hushovd, Cancellara, Gesink, Nibali, Basso.... are they bad people? i dont think so, i just think they play after the rules the sport have. And the rules are simple, make your body work at the max of what is humanly possible and after that make it even better...

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If a cyclist thinks one of his competitors is on PEDS then he figures he has to be on PEDS so as not to allow an advantage.

It has been found if given the choice cyclists don't wear helmets in races as they think it gives a slight competitive edge and if one guy goes helmetless then everyone goes helmetless. But when polled the same cyclists say they want helmet rules. So they want to be safer but won't give up a competitive advantage to do it.

catmiles said:

I agree with everything except the bolded part.

catmiles said:

Did you just...

I mea...

Wow, and I thought I could be somewhat of a fanboy from time to time.

LaFlorecita said:
I agree with everything except the bolded part.

Seriously?! You believe Lance was clean too?

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Walkman said:
Well, sniper got it right. Do you believe Lance raced clean?

LaFlorecita said:
No.

I dont think Lance was clean, i still think that Alberto did take the drug somehow but i do believe unitentionally purely as it was such a minor amount. Apparently like 1/400th under the limit or something i heard.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
catmiles said:
I dont think Lance was clean, i still think that Alberto did take the drug somehow but i do believe unitentionally purely as it was such a minor amount. Apparently like 1/400th under the limit or something i heard.

LaFlorecita said:
Naive...:rolleyes: And his name is Alberto, thank you very much.

guys, come to the real world soon, or get ready for some truly sobering experiences once you reach your twenties.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't see any mention of it here, and no idea of their effectiveness, but seems Contador will be undertaking a lie detector test as part of his defence..

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/10395/Lie-detector-test-in-Contador-case-WADA-pursuing-transfusion-theory-for-Clenbuterol-positive.aspx

Wishful thinking perhaps, but maybe he is innocent after all.. would be a bit of a risk to choose to take a lie detector test otherwise?

Anyone know how hard it is to beat the test? or are the results very subjective, especially when he's prob paying an expert a lot of money (Louis Rovner) to analyse the readings?

Edit: Hmm.. apparently about 61% reliable according to Wiki?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph#Validity

Interesting bit from that article:
y una bioestadística británica, que intentará poner en duda el valor del pasaporte biológico
and a British biostatician who will try to cast doubt on the worth of the biological passport
What's the story here? Does this mean there's something to the initial reports/rumours about Contador's values being "chaotic"?

edit: ah, nevermind. Reading on, it says the UCI and WADA will have Ashenden to say Contador's values are compatible with a transfusion, not that they are dodgy per se.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
joeyrobbo said:
Couldn't see any mention of it here, and no idea of their effectiveness, but seems Contador will be undertaking a lie detector test as part of his defence..

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/10395/Lie-detector-test-in-Contador-case-WADA-pursuing-transfusion-theory-for-Clenbuterol-positive.aspx

Wishful thinking perhaps, but maybe he is innocent after all.. would be a bit of a risk to choose to take a lie detector test otherwise?

Anyone know how hard it is to beat the test? or are the results very subjective, especially when he's prob paying an expert a lot of money (Louis Rovner) to analyse the readings?

Edit: Hmm.. apparently about 61% reliable according to Wiki?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph#Validity

A lie detector test? Only someone who's had training from George Constanza would be game enough to hide a lie in a lie detector test.

TRENDING THREADS