• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Approved Wheels

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Rory Sutherland's Team Boardman (see tech article 21/5/2011) has hand-made wheels with Enve Composite rims. Are these approved by the UCI? My understanding is if you are using rims higher than 2.5cm they are not standard and must pass a rupture test. This ruling has unfortunately eliminated a number of hand built wheels as they cannot afford the cost to get them tested.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Brian0947 said:
Rory Sutherland's Team Boardman (see tech article 21/5/2011) has hand-made wheels with Enve Composite rims. Are these approved by the UCI? My understanding is if you are using rims higher than 2.5cm they are not standard and must pass a rupture test. This ruling has unfortunately eliminated a number of hand built wheels as they cannot afford the cost to get them tested.

A quick look on the UCI website and you would've found this

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/g...bjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NjQxNjY&LangId=1

All the approved wheels are there including the ones you asked about

ENVE COMPOSITES
- Carbon 68 / 65 tubular 16/20/24/28 spokes
- Carbon 45 18/20/24/28 spokes

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Cycling Australia have found it too hard to know which rims are which with so many new brands comming onto the market.
most are all from same factory and some have been passed so now it is on the rider if his wheels explode and cause injury and are not UCI aproved the insurance will not cover you .
You could be up for millions of $$$$ if your wheels cause a injury.
So choose carefully.

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the rupture test require the complete wheel, i.e. rims, spokes and hub? Therefore although the rim may be okay on a factory built wheel once you get a hand-built wheel using different spokes and hubs to a rim that was part of an approved wheel is it still UCI approved? Laywers for the insurance company could have a field day with this.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I was wondering the same thing, considering every single wheel brand that is raced in the pro peloton has had at least one or more instances of magical exploding wheels just from riding along, not even serious maneuvering. Name a brand, we've seen them all explode during watching our favorite races at one time or another. You have to wonder how stupid people are for shelling out some serious $$$ for a wheel set that just burst in to pieces on tv. :confused:

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
If you use the rim from an approved wheelset, you can use the spokes and hubs of your choice.
I think it can be found on UCIs website, but i didn't bother to find a link.

TRENDING THREADS