• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI defer decision on World Tour Licences for Astana and Europcar

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-defers-decision-on-astana-and-europcar-worldtour-registration

The UCI has announced the teams registered and awarded licences for the 2015 WorldTour but deferred a final decision on the position of the Astana and Europcar teams due to financial and ethical questions.

A final verdict on the status of the two teams is expected before Wednesday December 10, after the UCI Licence Commission considers extra documentation recently supplied by the teams.

All the other 16 teams that applied for WorldTour registration for the 2015 season have been given a place, including the Swiss IAM Cycling team, which steps up from Professional Continental status. All the teams are automatically invited to ride all the WorldTour races, including the Tour de France. The UCI also confirmed the names of the Professional Continental teams registered for 2015. A decision on the registration of the Yellow Flou (Neri Sottoli) and Cult Energy Pro Cycling teams will be announced on December 10.

The UCI announced the teams after the first day of the WorldTour seminar in Montreux, Switzerland. The two-day meeting is expected to be decisive for shaping the major reforms to the WorldTour that are scheduled to come into force in 2017.

Astana I expected but Europcar came as a bit of a shock. Wonder if the likes of Nibali and Aru will look to leave?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Europcar lacks money. Final 5%. Anyhow them going down to PCT won't drastically change anything for them. They will get all the races they want anyway.

Gloin22 said:
Europcar lacks money. Final 5%. Anyhow them going down to PCT won't drastically change anything for them. They will get all the races they want anyway.

Kind of stinks for Nibali and Aru though, if Astana gets chucked for Clinic reasons and they look to leave there options right now are take a lot less money at IAM or Lampre for example or they can take option number two and make there case to Mr Brailsford for the last spot on Sky. Although to be frank I doubt Astana will get chucked and even then I'm sure Mr Tinkoff will find room for one of them.

MatParker117 said:
Kind of stinks for Nibali and Aru though, if Astana gets chucked for Clinic reasons and they look to leave there options right now are take a lot less money at IAM or Lampre for example or they can take option number two and make there case to Mr Brailsford for the last spot on Sky. Although to be frank I doubt Astana will get chucked and even then I'm sure Mr Tinkoff will find room for one of them.

Im absolutely positive that if worst came to worst for Astana and Aru had to leave then Sky would offer him big money to fill that last spot. It's obviously been well known for a while Sky have been sniffing around and im sure leadership at the Giro that Sky could offer would sweeten the deal.

Pricey_sky said:
Im absolutely positive that if worst came to worst for Astana and Aru had to leave then Sky would offer him big money to fill that last spot. It's obviously been well known for a while Sky have been sniffing around and im sure leadership at the Giro that Sky could offer would sweeten the deal.

Wouldn't Sky Italia and maybe Pinarello push hard for Nibali though? Aru's more likely I agree but having the Italian Tour champion on Italian bikes on a partially Italian backed team could prove tempting for them.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I think it is disgraceful that teams are not guaranteed a place until the end of the year.

How can teams solicit and obtain backers with such an unknown. Drug testing for the current year (road riders) should all be completed by September.

Individuals found guilty of doping after that date should be suspended same as is done now.

I'm looking at this from a team owners and riders point of view. After all the 2015 season starts next month.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
It's not like Ag2r's license was in doubt when they had two positives in the same year (IIRC) and suspended themselves. It's ridiculous to punish the Pro team for the positives on the feeder team.

Come on. the case is completely different.

I don't like Astana much, but I like Nibali and Aru and other individual riders, and don't want this screwing them over for 2015. So I hope they get their licence and stuff gets sorted better next year (so no bear hunting trips for Nibali, please).

I also don't want Aru at Sky - not just because I'm no fan of Sky, but I don't like to think what it might do to his style. I don't want another automaton. I like Aru's attack-anything passion; I want to see that side of him flourish, and I think that'd be done better elsewhere.

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
avanti said:
I think it is disgraceful that teams are not guaranteed a place until the end of the year.

How can teams solicit and obtain backers with such an unknown. Drug testing for the current year (road riders) should all be completed by September.

Individuals found guilty of doping after that date should be suspended same as is done now.

I'm looking at this from a team owners and riders point of view. After all the 2015 season starts next month.
... You make it sound like "drug-testing" is an annual procedure & part of a normal team practice! ..... It's an ongoing problem, so ongoing tests. The fact that Astana have so many black marks against them, means they are high risk and likely to be suspended. Cycling need to make examples of such dodgy teams and to suggest (as some seem to do) that you can't punish a whole team, just because 6 (or more!) have been caught, is just so naive!

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
antmills said:
and to suggest (as some seem to do) that you can't punish a whole team, just because 6 (or more!) have been caught, is just so naive!

As I recall it's 5 between the Astanas. But remember that in this case there were only 2 positives from the pro team and that they were from brothers - hardly an indication of a systematic problem. The common official link between the two teams has been dealt with. Insinuation of unoficcial links via Vino (or whoever) are merely speculation.

Electress said:
I also don't want Aru at Sky - not just because I'm no fan of Sky, but I don't like to think what it might do to his style. I don't want another automaton. I like Aru's attack-anything passion; I want to see that side of him flourish, and I think that'd be done better elsewhere.

Aru would be fine, Froome attacks frequently (even when he hasn't got the legs) so Aru would be no different.

Back to Astana and let's hope there is a quick solution, although I have a feeling this could drag on a while.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Astana - in
Europcar - out

17 WTs.

Not that big deal for Europcar imo, they will get all their French races they want. However still pain sending applications and all..

Sucks about both for different reasons as for what this means for GT wildcards (ie crap we can talk about here) my new guess is:

Giro-Neri, Bardiani, Androni, Colombia, Vini-Nippo

Tour-Europcar, Bretagne, Cofidis, Bora, MTN

Vuelta-Caja, Cofidis, Bora, UHC, Colombia

TRENDING THREADS