• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI doubts Contador will ride 2011 Tour.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
I dunno. If I was a UCI board member watching this ridiculously obvious and uncomplicated drug positive drag on for--what is it now, six months?--and threaten to continue to drag on for god knows how much longer, I might be tempted to nudge things along. If only out of frustration.

Really. Perhaps he should have nudged things along behind closed doors.
I agree with the other posters, its bogus for him to come out and give his personal opinion when the matter is unresolved.
Another case of the two speed peloton. One speed for the favored.. Lance Andy etc another for Bertie, Footon and the rest.

one thing thats been angering me for months is this

contador has a level of clen which isnt performance enhancing and the UCI and WADA have all but said he will be banned for 2 years (which is what will happen).

yet tom boonen tested positive twice for cocaine (another non performance enhancing substance) and got a free invite to the tour in 2009 and no hint of a ban.

now i have nothing against tom but where is the consistency?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
therealtimshady said:

contador has a level of clen which isnt performance enhancing and the UCI and WADA have all but said he will be banned for 2 years (which is what will happen).

yet tom boonen tested positive twice for cocaine (another non performance enhancing substance) and got a free invite to the tour in 2009 and no hint of a ban.

It is suspected by me that the steroid was residue administered to Berto during a rest day in the form of blood transfussion.

In the case of Tom it is obvious he received the coke through partying.

If you are a clinic participant, know your dope.
Anyone knows that cocaine in the long run would be detrimental in life and in an athletic career. See Lawrance Taylor wiki.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
therealtimshady said:

Its all spin from Contadors socalled "scientific experts".

Clen is a weight losing drug. If you saw Andy dropped Contador on Avoriaz, you´ll understand why Contador took some weight losing drug prior to the showdown on Tourmalet.

therealtimshady said:

in-competition vs out-of-competition

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
therealtimshady said:

clen, steroid, is muscle building, weight losing;ie stronger, leaner. Total Ped and steroid to boot.

Cocaine is a painkiiller, rec drug, and amphetamine. If Boonen had been caught during competition it would have been a different story.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
+1
the main problem here is what any other option AC has available to confront the biased position adopted by UCI/MacQuaid? the sport is sadly regulated by them & he must "adapt to what they see it fits(or perhaps what the best bidder offers) at this point is difficult to see him riding this year at all, given all the current opinions floating around-specially when the source of such information happens to be employed by the UCI....

his option was to go for broke. ie offer to make a large donation and deliver it personally to mcquaid in a traceable currency and tape it all unbeknownst to mcquaid making sure to talk about how his buddies lance/hog did the same thing so if it went bad for contador and his positive came out he could sink the lot of them.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
biopass said:
Its all spin from Contadors socalled "scientific experts".

Clen is a weight losing drug. If you saw Andy dropped Contador on Avoriaz, you´ll understand why Contador took some weight losing drug prior to the showdown on Tourmalet.

Wow, clenbuterol must be an amazing drug to cause you to lose kilos of weight one day after you take it.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Wow, clenbuterol must be an amazing drug to cause you to lose kilos of weight one day after you take it.

Contador's being dropped by Andy only to turn clen-poz and roar to victory can now be considered the proptotypical example of the "rope-a-dope" strategy - applied to cycling.

The Spanish federation boss has said he expects their verdict soon and, after the usual "I hope we can avoid sanctioning our hero", then says that the case no matter what undoubtedly will go to CAS.

What I'm wondering is why they haven't done what's quite usual in the regular legal world - move the case to the higher jurisdiction from the beginning to save time?

It would have been a lot easier for both parties and the cycling world in general if they had just involved CAS straight away...

JPM London said:
The Spanish federation boss has said he expects their verdict soon and, after the usual "I hope we can avoid sanctioning our hero", then says that the case no matter what undoubtedly will go to CAS.

What I'm wondering is why they haven't done what's quite usual in the regular legal world - move the case to the higher jurisdiction from the beginning to save time?

It would have been a lot easier for both parties and the cycling world in general if they had just involved CAS straight away...

A bit of dithering here and a bit of dithering there. Contador wins another Tour and maybe a Vuelta in the meantime passing all doping tests.

Quite shocking that the latest date for a decision by RFEC is set a day before Algarve starts.

warmfuzzies said:
Contador's being dropped by Andy only to turn clen-poz and roar to victory can now be considered the proptotypical example of the "rope-a-dope" strategy - applied to cycling.
Seriously, no.

Contador was dropped by Andy in the final km after having foolishly responded to several attacks, and he lost a grand total of 10". In Mende, Andy was the one who lost 10". Their relative levels remained stable throughout the Tour. Furthermore, clen isn't a PED you take during a competition.

You don't have to distort reality just because Contador is most likely guilty.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Seriously, no.

Contador was dropped by Andy in the final km after having foolishly responded to several attacks, and he lost a grand total of 10". In Mende, Andy was the one who lost 10". Their relative levels remained stable throughout the Tour. Furthermore, clen isn't a PED you take during a competition.

You don't have to distort reality just because Contador is most likely guilty.

Your critique might carry more credibility if it acknowledged the muscle-recovery benefits of clenbuterol. Clenbuterol is a performance enhancing drug. Clentador is guilty of doping - the poz A and B samples prove it.

I quote myself:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-decision-expected-no-later-than-february-15

Francois the Postman said:
Guilty or innocent, I think it is a travesty that someone's case for last year's TdF is (potentially/likely) still not resolved when the next one comes around. That doesn't serve anyone. We are still dealing with sportsmen who have a very limited shelf life, teams that need to schedule their seasons, etc.

There should be a procedural path that guarantees that an innocent rider can go the whole length to clear his name, and doesn't lose more than a whole year. Far less even, I'd say.

No_Balls said:
Nice point but very optimistic. They need that year to spin a certain name in the dirt (hello mr McQuaid) creating a smooth path for his successor (or save his own image).

Articles like the one from HUMO and "un-identified ASTANA-member watching Contador take the juice" is a part of that.

Mark my words. In "mid-January" we will have an press-release stating that the Contador-case will be solved in "Mid-february".

warmfuzzies said:
Your critique might carry more credibility if it acknowledged the muscle-recovery benefits of clenbuterol. Clenbuterol is a performance enhancing drug. Clentador is guilty of doping - the poz A and B samples prove it.
I'm not defending Contador, I think he used clen and blood transfusions. I'm merely questioning your reasoning. This is the first time I read about using clen for short-term recovery. Everything I've seen so far suggests taking clen during a competition is a bad idea.

No it's not, Willy Voet told us 10+ years ago in his book, he was trying it on himself before passing it on to the boys and said he "felt like a bull" as soon as he started taking it. I'm surprised no one has pointed that out since the story broke out, focusing instead on the "weight loss no muscle loss" story.

@ No_Balls - nice call!

webvan said:
No it's not, Willy Voet told us 10+ years ago in his book, he was trying it on himself before passing it on to the boys and said he "felt like a bull" as soon as he started taking it. I'm surprised no one has pointed that out since the story broke out, focusing instead on the "weight loss no muscle loss" story.

@ No_Balls - nice call!
Willy Voet wasn't microdosing, and clen is easily detectable in normal doses.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thinking like a doper, I'd use everything and anything which could give me a 0.5%-1% cumulative advantage over my competitors. Clenbuterol improves muscle recovery, and helps tilt the body's fat/muscle production slightly in favor of muscle. This would be quite helpful in a 3-week Grand Tour, particularly after a grueling stage or 2. Knowing the level of detectability, I'd try to keep my dope level below this. With clen's rapid metabolism in the body, a daily dose would be theoretically possible. I emphasize that 0.5%-1.0% wattage advantage over the course of a 3-week Grand Tour could prove decisive. A lab with exceptionally sensitive equipment would uncover this doping strategy. If an athlete were busted in this fashion for clen, one could always use the tainted food explanation, and assert that such a low level of clen could not possibly result in competitive advantage.

Well put, and yes, the "such a low level can't have helped me win the tour" is the worst possible argument, nothing new really, think Fraud's testosterone bust.

I wonder if they tried to figure in the lab out how much clen would have to have been taken to get the level they detected. Not easy to do I'm sure, besides it's a moot point as far as the positive goes.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
Well put, and yes, the "such a low level can't have helped me win the tour" is the worst possible argument, nothing new really, think Fraud's testosterone bust.

I wonder if they tried to figure in the lab out how much clen would have to have been taken to get the level they detected. Not easy to do I'm sure, besides it's a moot point as far as the positive goes.

I could see them working backwards from the established detection capabilities of most labs. The fact that they got caught by a lab with better capabilities raises the possibility of microdosing.
Also people talk about the muscle to fat aspect and strong like bull angle but what about the actualintended use of the drug. For respiratory problems. It opens the bronchial passages, would that not be better in a series of microdoses before a mountain stage than putting a bandaid on your friggin nose?

May 24, 2010
Visit site
runninboy said:
putting a bandaid on your friggin nose?

Bandaid doesn't get you two years for a doping offence.:rolleyes:

I don't think theres a chance in hell that Bert will ride the tour this year because the UCI will do everything to prevent it. fat pat has thrown his lot in with LADOPER-Trek, its about "MAKING SURE" Andy wins the tour

TRENDING THREADS