• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI has one 'last chance to prove its credibility'

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haahahahaha!!

“We note that Paul Kimmage has launched legal action against the UCI president Pat McQuaid and his predecessor Hein Verbruggen,” UCI communications director Enrico Carpani wrote to VeloNews in an e-mail on Sunday morning.

“Pat McQuaid and Hein Verbruggen will, of course, fully cooperate with the judicial authorities should they decide to start an investigation and they are completely confident it will establish that Paul Kimmage’s complaint is without merit.”

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
I suspect that this is one where they will be happy to throw the book at Vino and at Kolobnev as well.

Remember the look on Pat's face when Vino won at the Olympics?

Vino is a pantomine villain. He is easy to vilify, much like Ricco.

Yes but there is a developing problem in that there are some major sponsors that may have vested interests in the "win at all costs" approach, eg. Astana, Katusha, Tinkoff. They are getting increasingly powerful in cycling and will for sure start leveraging their investments.

And they are plotting their ascent to the throne, via Andrei Tschmill....

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
And Luxemburg's cycling head Jean Regenwetter writes a critical open letter to Pat McQuaid (in french sorry, waiting to find translation).

http://www.slideshare.net/wortlu/je...em-brief-an-uci-chef-50979f8fe4b08ca747b6e7f7

Regenwetter also gave an interview last week in Germany (Frankfurter Algemeine, one of the leading German newspapers). You can google translate this. Claiming that Dutch, Austrian and Swiss associations have also had enough. Demanding resignations of Pat & Hein, and for IOC to get involved. And suggesting the Dutch cycling head Marcel Wintels would make a good replacement. And critical of his German counterpart for sitting on the fence.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/me...adsport-muss-tabula-rasa-machen-11941918.html

Jean Regenwetter, president of the FSCL since 1998, not quite honouring his surname and proving to be a fair-weather friend. He didn't have such a strong stance when he protected Fränk in 2008.

Still, beheading the UCI should be the priority right now, so any extra pressure is welcome.

NM...

"In the week of 5 November 2012, therefore, the Management Committee will announce which independent sports body will nominate the members of the Commission and, with the UCI Management Committee, agree appropriate terms of reference."

Could be as late as Friday :(

Meanwhile I hope the pressure just builds and builds to oust the Hein and McQuaid!

Carols said:
Isn't today the day the UCI announces the Independent Commission? Seems WADA knows nothing so far, they haven't been contacted.

Waiting for news!!!!

Just again observing the irony of the obvious, but how can the UCI itself announce an independent commission?

It will be automatically tainted.

Especially with the example of the Vrijman "Independent Investigation" it should be.

I am still fuming at the "Independent Investigation".

The UCI is fully corrupted.

Dave.

hrotha said:
Jean Regenwetter, president of the FSCL since 1998, not quite honouring his surname and proving to be a fair-weather friend. He didn't have such a strong stance when he protected Fränk in 2008.

Still, beheading the UCI should be the priority right now, so any extra pressure is welcome.

UCI leadership is a sideshow when it comes to antidoping. Promotion will kick antidoping's rear every time, no matter who is in charge. The UCI (or its successor) needs an adequately funded and independent antidoping enforcement arm.

MarkvW said:
UCI leadership is a sideshow when it comes to antidoping. Promotion will kick antidoping's rear every time, no matter who is in charge. The UCI (or its successor) needs an adequately funded and independent antidoping enforcement arm.
the bolded is what i sadly don't see happening -- money will always win out.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If you want to understand more about the media rights to cycling events, and UCI's income stream via its own events and related media rights, here is an interesting recent article with links to fill you in.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/sportspro_blog/cycling_holding_strong_as_img_moves_for_flanders/

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/uci_set_for_commercial_growth_after_landmark_infront_deal/

Begs the question though: With the current media rights income stream going mostly to event organizers, should they foot more of the bill for anti-doping controls...

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Don't be too sure.

It will be independent.

Independent of any rational, balanced, arms-length, non-compromising, scandal free, defensible or otherwise justifiable process.

Dave.

:D Not a little decided about the matter, are we?

Good laugh!

ToreBear said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hea...for-sport-to-recommend-uci-commission-members

They are calling on CAS to select members. This is the best case scenario as far as independence goes. CAS is more independent than for example WADA.

Still unclear about their mandate though. Hopefully CAS and their reccomended individuals wil be able to have influence over the framework of the commission.

Depends on how credible John Coates is or if he is just a pro-McQuaid placeman.

Mrs John Murphy said:

Sylvia Schenk reccomended CAS decide on the commision members in an article I read a while back.

She knows cycling, the UCI and what transparency means. So I trust her opinion on this.

Mrs John Murphy said:

The remit looks narrow and is about Armstrong's doping not the UCI.

“The purpose of this independent commission is to look into the findings of the USADA report and ultimately to make conclusions and recommendations that will enable the UCI to restore confidence in the sport of cycling and in the UCI as its governing body.”

thehog said:
The remit looks narrow and is about Armstrong's doping not the UCI.

My impression is that this is very preliminary. I think CAS and the members selected will have a big say.

Though I agree that if Pat is playing tricks this might be an area for him to manouver. Though I'm not sure the management comitee is willing to agree to any Pat jedi tricks in this current climate.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Coates will be highly visible. A whitewash "will not wash". He is way too ambitious for that. But he is highly political also (refer Sydney Olympics manouvering). And depending on his ambitions he will likely tailor the outcome. I think it certainly could have been much worse. So will be interesting.

TRENDING THREADS