• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI, McQuaid, Verbruggen threaten to Sue Landis

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
UCI, Verbruggen, and McQuaid threaten to sue Flandis for comments he made on German TV regarding UCI "protecting" certain riders.

The lawyer's letter is on NYVelocity here.

The interview with German TV is here.

CN story here.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Hein, next time try dueling pistols at 10 paces.

duel.jpg

Floyd has no money, nor will he in the future.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
ruamruam said:
I hope he does McQuaid does sue though I doubt he will. Publicity will be too bad for him.

"Several months on and in a letter dated February 7, 2010, addressed to Landis, the UCI has given the American a 15-day window to retract his comments or face legal proceedings."

If he was going to sue, shouldn't he have sued already? I mean, that window is long gone.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know Swiss law? Because it would appear odd to me in this case to start a suit against an US citizen for statements made in Germany which would probably not even account for a tort, let alone that the damage took place in Switzerland

May 14, 2010
Visit site
These fools will never sue him. Just more hot air from corrupt mouths. They get nothing if they win and lose everything if they lose - which of course they would, which is why it will never happen. And I don't think their empty threats will intimidate anyone.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
"Several months on and in a letter dated February 7, 2010, addressed to Landis, the UCI has given the American a 15-day window to retract his comments or face legal proceedings."

If he was going to sue, shouldn't he have sued already? I mean, that window is long gone.

Check the date again. The letter is dated from last week.

They're drawing Floyd out of his cave. Thinking if they tie him up in legal proceedings he'll crack mentally. In addition they know he can't use evidence in the Armstrong case and they want him to show some cards. Landis's (LeMond's) lawyers will respond with a letter refuting the claim asking for more evidence and the point of law which the parties feel they have been "injured". A tremendous waste of time and money on the UCIs behalf. But heck it stop Floyd saying "What about me"? - If Alberto is set free why did I not get the same pass for my tiny amount of drugs?

In other news FDJ confirms a bigger budget and 4 years of money along with an ardent anti-doping policy...... They fail to get a ProTour license..... what are the rules to get a license? They're not published. Even to the teams.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
does anyone know how the letter got online?
Did Landis submit it to this guy Andy?

Landis probably gave it to NYVelocity, as they seem to be his new favorite, trusted internet media outlet. Even Kimmage endorsed them.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
They're drawing Floyd out of his cave. Thinking if they tie him up in legal proceedings he'll crack mentally. In addition they know he can't use evidence in the Armstrong case and they want him to show some cards. Landis's (LeMond's) lawyers will respond with a letter refuting the claim asking for more evidence and the point of law which the parties feel they have been "injured". A tremendous waste of time and money on the UCIs behalf. But heck it stop Floyd saying "What about me"? - If Alberto is set free why did I not get the same pass for my tiny amount of drugs?

In other news FDJ confirms a bigger budget and 4 years of money along with an ardent anti-doping policy...... They fail to get a ProTour license..... what are the rules to get a license? They're not published. Even to the teams.

The fun thing is that they can do whatever they want in Switzerland, such a verdict in itself is not enforceable in the US, so even if they win, unless a procedure is started in the US to get the verdict enforcable (if there is some form of execution treaty) or otherwise perhaps even a completely new trial, Landis has nothing to worry about, unless perhaps he has assets in Switzerland. So he doesn't need to respond in any manner

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Does anyone know Swiss law? Because it would appear odd to me in this case to start a suit against an US citizen for statements made in Germany which would probably not even account for a tort, let alone that the damage took place in Switzerland

...and therein is the issue. This will go nowhere.

This is quite some huffing and puffing, considering Landis made even more serious allegations LAST year, and nothing came of it.

Anyone with some German legal expertise please comment as to what the UCI can legally do there or in Switzerland, that they could not do in the US?

Barrus said:
The fun thing is that they can do whatever they want in Switzerland, such a verdict in itself is not enforceable in the US, so even if they win, unless a procedure is started in the US to get the verdict enforcable (if there is some form of execution treaty) or otherwise perhaps even a completely new trial, Landis has nothing to worry about, unless perhaps he has assets in Switzerland

Floyd has been receiving cease & desist letters since May. HV had already sent one to Floyd. What does it mean? Not a lot. Send the police around tell Floyd to stop name calling?

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Awesome update from Floyd himself:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-threatens-landis-with-legal-action

Immediately after this story appeared online Landis sent the following email to Cyclingnews's editor and the UCI legal representative, Mr Ditesheim.

Hello Mr Ditesheim'

I haven't heard from you in a few days and thought I'd drop you a note with a few things to ponder. I'd like you to please try to reconcile this (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/car...spanish-federations-handling-of-contador-case) with your threat of litigation in light of todays exoneration of Alberto Contador. I look forward to your explanation.

Thank You
Floyd Landis

Sweet.

A

Anonymous

Pretty slack by the lawyer to refer to McQuaid as "Mr Pat McQuaid" and not his full legal name of "Patrick"

The second paragraph as well is pretty patchy.

You Basically indicate that the UCI may protect etc etc

basically and may are pretty loose terms legally.

Its pretty hard to sue somebody for "kind of" saying "maybe"

My advice floyd, let them take you to court. The amount of evidence they will need to provide they arent corrupt will almost certainly unearth something.

their lawyer looks pretty mean though
ditesheim.jpg

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
now that's funny

Barrus said:

noroll.gif
Gosh I thought you knew ... kicking me all around lately in a thread not far off, and now seeking protective law in the blind.
callme.gif

*** edited by mod ***

A

Anonymous

DAOTEC said:
noroll.gif
Gosh I thought you knew ... kicking me all around lately in a thread not far off, and now seeking protective law in the blind.
callme.gif

*** edited by mod ***

He specifically asked about swiss law regarding libel/slander not european law governing italian doping practices. ;) And besides, barrus wasnt saying he knew the law, he was asking you to provide evidence to show that as you claimed, you knew the law.

TRENDING THREADS