• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI, McQuaid, Verbruggen threaten to Sue Landis

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
That reads like the email, and subsequent exchange, Heiney sent Floyd last year.

Mockery will get you everywhere. It is clear Landis is taunting them.

And there is no way that they can win that war of words! Floyd can easily provoke them and they will always take his "bait" if you will. If they start the mudslinging (as in this case) Floyd can play that little game as long as they like. They can't prosecute him for anything at this point without getting him out of the country (U.S.A). He has nothing to provide them with for "damages" so what do they expect to achieve here besides coming off looking like complete buffoons?

Bring it on! I find it all endlessly entertaining. :D

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
That reads like the email, and subsequent exchange, Heiney sent Floyd last year.

Mockery will get you everywhere. It is clear Landis is taunting them.

Floyd is actually a pretty funny guy. I hope he'd come to this forum at some point. He'd make a great poster.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Floyd is actually a pretty funny guy. I hope he'd come to this forum at some point. He'd make a great poster.

Yup.

I'm still waiting for that "Beazed" avatar to show up. ;)

images

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
And there is no way that they can win that war of words! Floyd can easily provoke them and they will always take his "bait" if you will. If they start the mudslinging (as in this case) Floyd can play that little game as long as they like. They can't prosecute him for anything at this point without getting him out of the country (U.S.A). He has nothing to provide them with for "damages" so what do they expect to achieve here besides coming off looking like complete buffoons?

Bring it on! I find it all endlessly entertaining. :D

It is only "damaging" if it is not true. So far, and based on Landis' behavior since confessing, he operates under the heading of "truth", essentially as someone with nothing to worry about.

Judgments from foreign nations can be enforced in the United States. There is a whole body of law that deals with recognition of such judgments.

Floyd MIGHT be vulnerable if the foreign court has jurisdiction over him. But I'm having a hard time seeing a factual basis for a European court's assertion of jurisdiction over Floyd (that a US court would recognize). It appears to me that all of Floyd's unsupported allegations are made in the USA.

I would LOVE to see Floyd get sued for his bribery statements. He's a liar and his bribery statements are uncorroborated. A trial would force him (and the UCI) to put all their facts before a jury. That would be a good show!

A

Anonymous

MarkvW said:
Judgments from foreign nations can be enforced in the United States. There is a whole body of law that deals with recognition of such judgments.

Floyd MIGHT be vulnerable if the foreign court has jurisdiction over him. But I'm having a hard time seeing a factual basis for a European court's assertion of jurisdiction over Floyd (that a US court would recognize). It appears to me that all of Floyd's unsupported allegations are made in the USA.

I would LOVE to see Floyd get sued for his bribery statements. He's a liar and his bribery statements are uncorroborated. A trial would force him (and the UCI) to put all their facts before a jury. That would be a good show!

:D:D:D

You know and I know and you know that I know and I know that you know that I know this will NEVER happen.

But, in the unlikely event I'm wrong just remember, there will be no rock for you to crawl under when your boys get hammered by the lowly Flandis for the whole world to see.

Stay delusional though. It's pure entertainment.

orbeas said:
Investigative journalist Andrew Jennings who wrote The Lord of the Rings about the IOC being corrupt, another bunch of Swiss Officials like the UCI. Was convicted in a swiss court and a prison sentance was imposed, but only is it enforcable in Switzerland if he ever went there, but IOC president then claimed they had won the battle in court.
This is what the corrupt McQuaid and his bunch of gangsters will do and then they can say that they proved there innocence.

Don't they call these libel tourism laws?

Basically, for it to be enforced in the US (at least in California and some other states) it would have to pass judgment of our courts.

Hell, they could probably find a chinese judge that might put Floyd to death for it, probably some pretty good punishments in some mid-east jurisdictions too.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I can imagine Floyd pausing before hitting 'send' and thinking, "Oh why the hell not?" Funny stuff. But, fear the man who has lost most everything but his spirit.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
If Floyd were smart, he'd lift Hein's a-hole letter from the Mercury pay dispute, re-tool it to fit this situation and send it right back.

"It doesn't work that way in the USA and certainly not with me"

My thoughts exactly, BB. And to that Floyd can also send a copy of his latest bank statement to Hein and remind him about the laws of physics and tying to extract blood from a rock.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I can imagine Floyd pausing before hitting 'send' and thinking, "Oh why the hell not?" Funny stuff. But, fear the man who has lost most everything but his spirit.

Or to use one of his quotes from June, 2007 Bicycling Magazine, "Don't poke the crazy guy!" ;)

books

http://books.google.com/books?id=uMUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA27&dq=bicycling+magazine+cover+june+2007&hl=en&ei=oVlbTY2kOYGtgQeInaG-DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=5&ved=0CFUQ6wEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Hopefully Floyd is checking in here to see that he has a lot of support on this. Who wouldn't love to see Verdruggen and fat Pat put in their places.

Maybe there are others with interesting information to provide to Floyd about the dealings of these 2 crooks. RR must have lots of goodies to share.

I'd say this is a pathetic joke, but oh how I'd love it if they went through with this. Or tried to. Good luck getting money out of poor people. It wastes your time, and costs you money. Defamation is also extremely difficult to prove in court.

It's like the CEO of a major corporation suing a former worker who is now homeless and collects can on the sidewalk on the same street.

The stupidity at the UCI is just baffling. Or is it their arrogance leading to such moves?

I was a Floyd fan for false reasons when he won the TdF, but now I'm dead sure I'm his fan for all teh right reasons. Not being the donating guy, I'd like to contribute with my talents and time rather than my assets.
Floyd, how can active supporters reach you? You sure can reach us here.

I want to do something, as a bystander, but what CAN we do, apart from retweet?

[off-topic]
I am walking against similar corruption within the Dutch Atletics union. Steeple chaser Simon Vroemen having gotten out of a clear 2 year ban for self-admitted (in writing) illegal IV during the Goteborg European Championships.
Seems everyone is covering for everyone. A few painful (still hidden) doping affaires with convenient knowledge back a forth can corrupt all cases of those who know something. Throw in a '92 Barcelona gold medal winner at the Union office as well as being a atletes manager and event promoter. Vroemen's girlfriend tied up in Operacion Galgo, etc, etc, and you have too many conflicting interest to deal with any of them in a legal matter.
[/off-topic]

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i'm mostly (but not everything) believing floyd including the gist of his accusations against the uci.

but i'm increasingly getting this feeling that he could find himself fighting too many wars at the same time. i mean yeah it's the uci who are aggressive in this case and he may just be defending, but he also had shot a lot of broadsides in too short a period of time against too many targets.

as much as i feel supportive of most of his causes now, including understanding his emotional drivers, i can't resist saying that personally i'd have exercised more restraint or perhaps i should say i'd 'pace' or 'space out' my volleys with more forethought.

it's hard to forget that his similar frontal (and to be honest, reckless) attacks on usada ended not by just his defeat, his was crushed, annihilated...

wise man he is yet to be...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone seen Floyd's reply?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-threatens-landis-with-legal-action

Hello Mr Ditesheim'

I haven't heard from you in a few days and thought I'd drop you a note with a few things to ponder. I'd like you to please try to reconcile this (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/car...spanish-federations-handling-of-contador-case) with your threat of litigation in light of todays exoneration of Alberto Contador. I look forward to your explanation.

Thank You
Floyd Landis

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
yes, it's been discussed. Though I myself didn't fully check what Floyd is pointing out with the link to Carpani. Or is it merely to point out the whole mess the AC-case has turned into?

Carpani (the UCI spokesman) said:

UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani held a press conference in Madrid on Friday. He would not say whether the UCI would appeal the RFEC's decision. “Until we examine the arguments in depth, we will not make a decision, which could go two ways: either we accept the decision or ask for an appeal.”

The UCI will have one month to decide whether to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

He added, according to as.com, “It is not beneficial to cycling to see Contador crucified.”

My guess is that UCI will not take-up the appeal. They'll leave that to WADA (and force WADA to wear the black hat).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Carpani (the UCI spokesman) said:

My guess is that UCI will not take-up the appeal. They'll leave that to WADA (and force WADA to wear the black hat).

Ok, but what does that have to do with corruption in the UCI, which is what Floyd is trying to hint at, right?

TRENDING THREADS