• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

King Boonen said:
Did Absalon get caught up in the field and have to work to get back to the lead?

Nino is ridiculously good.

Not really.....he sat back a bit and let Kulhavy and Nino go......he was on his own or with Cinq for much of the race and then slowly reigned them back in.
Even the commentators were saying that it was uncharacteristic of him and kinda dangerous to let them go from the start.

Nino is amazing....always in control and just seems to wait for the right moment....and then ride off and win the race.

It's really hard to believe that there are only a handful of guys in the world at their level! - it's always the same 2 or 3 up front and the rest competing for the minor places.

pastronef said:
a question: the World Cup is raced by national teams?

the riders have trade teams/ racing teams, or everyone has personal sponsors?

which are the most important races after world cup and world champs /olympics?

thank you

The World Cup is raced by trade teams. It's just the name for the overall competition for the elite DH/XCO racers. It get's a little confusing when they say X has won a world cup then two weeks later Y has won a world cup. I think it's similar in skiing but I'm not sure.

If we are just talking about the pros then they mostly have trade teams, some run their own teams. The sponsors are usually dependent on the team but some things might be different. For instance bike component sponsors are usually blanket across the team but clothing and other individual sponsors might vary for individual riders.

After the World Cup, World Champs and Olympics it tends to be certain national races/Championships. The World Cup calendar is actually quite full now so I don't think you get a huge amount of races outside of it with all the top guys. I'm more familiar with DH racing and in this case you do get other events like Crankworx, Rotorua in New Zealand, Red Bull Hardline, National DH series (top pros tend to only attend if a WC is happening in the country around the same time or it's the mid season break). Some will race the Enduro World Series (non-UCI races) again depending where they are and how they fit.

Mainly though it's the World Cup and World Championships that matter.

King Boonen said:
pastronef said:

thank you

The World Cup is raced by trade teams. It's just the name for the overall competition for the elite DH/XCO racers. It get's a little confusing when they say X has won a world cup then two weeks later Y has won a world cup. I think it's similar in skiing but I'm not sure.

If we are just talking about the pros then they mostly have trade teams, some run their own teams. The sponsors are usually dependent on the team but some things might be different. For instance bike component sponsors are usually blanket across the team but clothing and other individual sponsors might vary for individual riders.

After the World Cup, World Champs and Olympics it tends to be certain national races/Championships. The World Cup calendar is actually quite full now so I don't think you get a huge amount of races outside of it with all the top guys. I'm more familiar with DH racing and in this case you do get other events like Crankworx, Rotorua in New Zealand, Red Bull Hardline, National DH series (top pros tend to only attend if a WC is happening in the country around the same time or it's the mid season break). Some will race the Enduro World Series (non-UCI races) again depending where they are and how they fit.

thank you

trade teams mean Kulhavy races for the Specialized team, Schurter for Scott, Absalon for BMC etc etc during the Wolrd Cup events

have you any good MTB website/forum to suggest that takes care of World Cup races, teams etc ?

thanks again

pastronef said:
King Boonen said:
pastronef said:

thank you

thank you

trade teams mean Kulhavy races for the Specialized team, Schurter for Scott, Absalon for BMC etc etc during the Wolrd Cup events

have you any good MTB website/forum to suggest that takes care of World Cup races, teams etc ?

thanks again

Yes, that's right. They race for national teams only during the world championships, like the road racers.

Pinkbike covers the world cup races for DH and XC but its XC coverage outside of that is not great at all. For instance this is their Olympics photo reports:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rio-2016-xco-mens-race.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rio-2016-xco-womens-race.html

Compare to the DH World Championships:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/over-the-rainbow-val-di-sole-world-champs-finals-2016.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/photo-epic-val-di-sole-world-champs-timed-runs-2016.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/moon-dust-and-angel-beams.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fear-and-loaming-val-di-sole-dh-world-champs-2016.html

Final World Cup of the season:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/from-the-ashes-finals-vallnord-wc-dh-7.html

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ending-on-a-high-xc-world-cup-finals-andorra.html

Basically XC is covered well when it coincides with DH.

Well Nino picked up where he left off. Mati Van Der Poel showed that he is getting better at mountain biking (we know that he has the motor!) at 2:51 back. Another name of note is young Andri Frischknecht 4:33 back.

To kick the the Rainbow win off, World Champ Langvad took the womans race.

Good news for the USA, Kate Courtney took the U23 womans race.

VDP was particularly impressive considering he got caught behind the crashes right at the start dues to being gated in 80th position. I think he would have been front or second row in the next race but he's got a road race instead. I wonder if he's going to keep doing all three disciplines or if he's going to focus more. I'm guessing if he keeps getting better on the road we'll see him focus there.

Re:

King Boonen said:
VDP was particularly impressive considering he got caught behind the crashes right at the start dues to being gated in 80th position. I think he would have been front or second row in the next race but he's got a road race instead. I wonder if he's going to keep doing all three disciplines or if he's going to focus more. I'm guessing if he keeps getting better on the road we'll see him focus there.

He is going to quit the Belgium Tour after stage 2 and go to the MTB WC.

EM- Nino again, but Mati vdP showed his class in second. We should see some battles this season! :)

U23W- Richards edged out Courtney this week.

EW- Belomoina pulls one out. Yana won a U23 World title a few years back ('14?) but this is the first time that she has put it all together at the Elite World Cup level.

The dust and gravel on hard pack claimed plenty of victims!

Note: vdP won stage 2 of the BBT ahead of Gilbert on Thursday.

Well, it was the first XCO race I've seen from start to finish (MVP was the reason) and I've fallen in love with this sport, very good. Apart from the World Cup, is there some prestige series (like the Superprestige and the DVV Verzekeringen Trophy in CycloCross) with TV coverage? Now I'm eagerly waiting for the Vallnord XCO, with or without Van der Poel at the start line.

PS: Flueckiger 2nd crash was horrendous, I don't get what he was trying to do, pulling a stunt just meters after he crashed on the descent.

Re:

Ricco' said:
Well, it was the first XCO race I've seen from start to finish (MVP was the reason) and I've fallen in love with this sport, very good. Apart from the World Cup, is there some prestige series (like the Superprestige and the DVV Verzekeringen Trophy in CycloCross) with TV coverage? Now I'm eagerly waiting for the Vallnord XCO, with or without Van der Poel at the start line.

PS: Flueckiger 2nd crash was horrendous, I don't get what he was trying to do, pulling a stunt just meters after he crashed on the descent.
Below the World Cup, there are national series, and some trade series, but nothing quite to the level of Superpresige or Trophy. As far as TV coverage goes, that depends on where you are I suppose. RedBullTV has some stuff, as do other online sources.

Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
Ricco' said:

Below the World Cup, there are national series, and some trade series, but nothing quite to the level of Superpresige or Trophy. As far as TV coverage goes, that depends on where you are I suppose. RedBullTV has some stuff, as do other online sources.

RedBull TV covers only the World Cup or they show other races too? I saw Albstadt on RedbullTV, pretty good coverage, to be fair.

TRENDING THREADS