• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

King Boonen said:
Red Bull is just the world cup. It used to be just the world cup that happened to be at the same location as the DH but they have got better.

MVdP looks very good. I didn't get chance to watch the race, does he look like a serious challenger to Nino?
Yes, I think that he can push Nino, but IMO Nino was measuring his efforts to maintain the 20-30 gap.
 
DH Round 1- a mess thanks to mom nature so not worth talking about.

DH Round 2- an old man on big wheels! Minnaar on a 29er. EDIT: Minnaar on a 29aar!

Didn't watch the women's race yet...
 
Re:

jmdirt said:
DH Round 1- a mess thanks to mom nature so not worth talking about.

DH Round 2- an old man on big wheels! Minnaar on a 29er.

Didn't watch the women's race yet...
The UCI have screwed us on both fronts. Round 1 they knew that storm was coming, everyone did, but they refused to move the schedule forward by an hour.

Round 2 and the rain turned the new woods into a mud trap with frame deep ruts that was basically a lottery as they were changing with run to run. How do they decide to fix it? They chuck a load of rocks into the worst of the mud and don't tell the riders. The result is the world's best riders basically dropping into a blind boulder pit covered in sloppy mud with OTBs galore. We then see then pretty much pushing their bikes through the mud, if you watch Tracey's winning run it looks like an amateur race at the weekend. Absolutely stupid.
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:
DH Round 1- a mess thanks to mom nature so not worth talking about.

DH Round 2- an old man on big wheels! Minnaar on a 29er. EDIT: Minnaar on a 29aar!

Didn't watch the women's race yet...
The UCI have screwed us on both fronts. Round 1 they knew that storm was coming, everyone did, but they refused to move the schedule forward by an hour.

Round 2 and the rain turned the new woods into a mud trap with frame deep ruts that was basically a lottery as they were changing with run to run. How do they decide to fix it? They chuck a load of rocks into the worst of the mud and don't tell the riders. The result is the world's best riders basically dropping into a blind boulder pit covered in sloppy mud with OTBs galore. We then see then pretty much pushing their bikes through the mud, if you watch Tracey's winning run it looks like an amateur race at the weekend. Absolutely stupid.
Are you surprised that the UCI pooed the screwch? That's their MO. The mud pit is short enough that it was still a good race.
EDIT: Her trip through the mud pit looked bad, but the rest of her run looked good (far from weekend warrior). They should have addressed that section better than they did, but at least they all raced the same course (it was wetter for the women).
 
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:
DH Round 1- a mess thanks to mom nature so not worth talking about.

DH Round 2- an old man on big wheels! Minnaar on a 29er. EDIT: Minnaar on a 29aar!

Didn't watch the women's race yet...
The UCI have screwed us on both fronts. Round 1 they knew that storm was coming, everyone did, but they refused to move the schedule forward by an hour.

Round 2 and the rain turned the new woods into a mud trap with frame deep ruts that was basically a lottery as they were changing with run to run. How do they decide to fix it? They chuck a load of rocks into the worst of the mud and don't tell the riders. The result is the world's best riders basically dropping into a blind boulder pit covered in sloppy mud with OTBs galore. We then see then pretty much pushing their bikes through the mud, if you watch Tracey's winning run it looks like an amateur race at the weekend. Absolutely stupid.
Are you surprised that the UCI pooed the screwch? That's their MO. The mud pit is short enough that it was still a good race.
EDIT: Her trip through the mud pit looked bad, but the rest of her run looked good (far from weekend warrior). They should have addressed that section better than they did, but at least they all raced the same course (it was wetter for the women).
That section made the whole thing a lottery though I think. It was chance whether you managed to pick a line through the mud that didn't have hidden rocks dumped in it and one mistake in there basically meant you were walking as it was too flat and sticky to pick up any momentum.

We had horrible weather in Cairns in 2015 but it was fine because the course still allowed people to race, same with the WC's in Champery. I just feel this section should have been cut, it was obvious what was going to happen as soon as the heavy rain started.
 
Re:

Ricco' said:
Any way to watch live coverage of tomorrow's MTB Marathon World Championship?
I'm not seeing any live coverage listed. I'll keep exploring...

It won't be live but the UCI site might have a video up later in the day:
http://www.uci.ch/mountain-bike/news/article/eight-current-and-former-uci-world-champions-line-for-uci-marathon-worlds/

You might see if something pops up here:
http://www.cyclingfans.com/mountain-biking/live

Plus you might luck out and find something on YouTube.
 
Nino is on a roll! He'll be tough to catch. SWI race next round.

MvP- he/many will blame the altitude, but as much as the thin air, XCM last weekend, 8 hour road ride this week, no specific training... I haven't heard what was wrong, but if he quit because he didn't feel good, that's something that he wants to avoid.

Belomoina is for real! Langvad, and Dahle on the box too.
 
Nino locked up the series so the question becomes what does he do now? Does he try to win every race? Does he drift his focus a bit?

I like that MvP has struggled. Not because I want to see him do poorly, I don't because I like the kid, but because its a good message to those who think this dirt thing is easy. I have no doubt that if MvP wants to do well on the dirt he can, but it will take work and focus.
 
Must be hard for Nino, he's just better than everyone else at all aspects of MTB XC racing. People struggle to match his skills downhill, which lets him save energy and so he's better on the climbs. I have to admit I thought we'd see him move to road or something else once the Olympic gold was in the bag, it must take a huge amount of focus to keep training as hard as required when he's already won everything.

I agree on MvP, I felt the same when road fans thought Sagan would podium or win the Olympics. Both of them could obviously be very good MTB riders, but it's not dirt crit racing anymore and you need to be doing it day in, day out to maintain the required skills. I think people thought MvP coming from 'cross would do fine as they are both off-road, but again cross is nothing like XC racing these days, the courses are really technical, to the point that most people who ride MTB would probably want to be on a 140mm+ FS.
 
Re:

King Boonen said:
Must be hard for Nino, he's just better than everyone else at all aspects of MTB XC racing. People struggle to match his skills downhill, which lets him save energy and so he's better on the climbs. I have to admit I thought we'd see him move to road or something else once the Olympic gold was in the bag, it must take a huge amount of focus to keep training as hard as required when he's already won everything.

I agree on MvP, I felt the same when road fans thought Sagan would podium or win the Olympics. Both of them could obviously be very good MTB riders, but it's not dirt crit racing anymore and you need to be doing it day in, day out to maintain the required skills. I think people thought MvP coming from 'cross would do fine as they are both off-road, but again cross is nothing like XC racing these days, the courses are really technical, to the point that most people who ride MTB would probably want to be on a 140mm+ FS.
MVP isn't struggling with tech skills. He did XCM WCH (finished 4th) between those two high altitude XCO races and just blew up little bit. And he's still very young. CX riders are technically on par with XCO ones.
Sagan might lost some skills on MTB but he still was junior XCO WCH winner and 3rd or 4th in U23 XCO WCH and can handle his bike pretty well - even the road one. He would probably struggle more with that 70 min. full gas effort needed for good result in XCO.
 
Re: Re:

glassmoon said:
King Boonen said:
Must be hard for Nino, he's just better than everyone else at all aspects of MTB XC racing. People struggle to match his skills downhill, which lets him save energy and so he's better on the climbs. I have to admit I thought we'd see him move to road or something else once the Olympic gold was in the bag, it must take a huge amount of focus to keep training as hard as required when he's already won everything.

I agree on MvP, I felt the same when road fans thought Sagan would podium or win the Olympics. Both of them could obviously be very good MTB riders, but it's not dirt crit racing anymore and you need to be doing it day in, day out to maintain the required skills. I think people thought MvP coming from 'cross would do fine as they are both off-road, but again cross is nothing like XC racing these days, the courses are really technical, to the point that most people who ride MTB would probably want to be on a 140mm+ FS.
MVP isn't struggling with tech skills. He did XCM WCH (finished 4th) between those two high altitude XCO races and just blew up little bit. And he's still very young. CX riders are technically on par with XCO ones.
Sagan might lost some skills on MTB but he still was junior XCO WCH winner and 3rd or 4th in U23 XCO WCH and can handle his bike pretty well - even the road one. He would probably struggle more with that 70 min. full gas effort needed for good result in XCO.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, because I think that's rubbish.
 
Re:

glassmoon said:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/jenny-rissveds-to-miss-world-champs-2017.html
F*ck POC. F*ck SCF.
#boycottPOC - shady for over a year and UCI is, like usually, helpless and incompetent. Just shame.
I'm stuggling to see how POC are at fault? Surely it's the SCF who have caused this?
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
glassmoon said:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/jenny-rissveds-to-miss-world-champs-2017.html
F*ck POC. F*ck SCF.
#boycottPOC - shady for over a year and UCI is, like usually, helpless and incompetent. Just shame.
I'm stuggling to see how POC are at fault? Surely it's the SCF who have caused this?
They (POC) knew about it for a year, they knew JR (and others) has private contracts, they haven't propose any solution until it recently blew up. They basically thought SCF will make the riders comply with the shitty deal and buried their heads into the sand.
 
SCF signed the deal so it's fair to assume POC felt SCF had the standing to do this. From what little bits I've read in English, and the comments in the article you linked, it seems it is the SCF who are at fault. There are a few who think POC should drop the helmet/glasses requirement, but then why should POC have to be the ones to do this? Why not Scott and Oakley? SCF caused this mess, it's unfair to blame anyone else for it when they are all playing chicken with Jenny in the middle.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS