• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well that was some entertaining racing today! Koretzky kicking some serious butt ... He is so strong technically and so explosive going up. Nino lacking just a little bit today and then got a little caught out at the end; pretty amazing pass of Mathias though! Flückiger at least was smiling after the race today, but he might be developing a complex about Nino passing him at the end of races

Reactions: jmdirt
Kate Courtney:

She blasted into the elite class, but has struggled of late (but still a top 10 racer).
-Is it just dealing with SARS-CoV-2 is harder when she spends her non race time in Cali USA?
-She's had a wrist injury, but how much can that affect her legs? Did she struggle with the stationary training?
-Is it because when there was no pressure on a young up and comer she could just ride and race, but now she has the pressure of her results?
-Is it because the program she's on with her team/coach/trainer isn't 'right'(I know its Frischy, but...)?

I don't know the answer, but I hope that she (they) finds her top form again.

Reactions: postmanhat
Kate Courtney:

She blasted into the elite class, but has struggled of late (but still a top 10 racer).
-Is it just dealing with SARS-CoV-2 is harder when she spends her non race time in Cali USA?
-She's had a wrist injury, but how much can that affect her legs? Did she struggle with the stationary training?
-Is it because when there was no pressure on a young up and comer she could just ride and race, but now she has the pressure of her results?
-Is it because the program she's on with her team/coach/trainer isn't 'right'(I know its Frischy, but...)?

Is her trainer Frischi? I thought it was Jim Miller.

From what I've read some guys writing in PB forum, they think it can also be about lack of technical skills and they say she spends way too much time on her road bike instead of her mountain bike.

But I also don't know, in 2019 she started the season as the undisputed strongest rider, but hasn't achieved the same level from the middle of that season. This level is not too dissimilar to the one she showed in 2018 on her first elite year (with the Lenzerheide WCH being the biggest outlier of her that season). In hindsight, 2019 is the exception to the norm, but she should be much better indeed.

Kate Courtney:

I wouldn't recommend living in California during a pandemic. I suspect she was way more isolated than other top racers due to the extreme lockdowns and she is having a hard time getting back up to speed. I bet she did very little riding with other pros during the lockdown and she probably lost a lot of her skills/confidence shredding at speed.

Has been very noticeable how much Evie Richard's climbing had improved this season, but having just watch the Worlds again, it seemed to be her descending, particularly through technical sections had also moved up a level. She's been a little bit fortunate perhaps in that others peaked for the Olympics, and Lecomte is off-form for the first time, but she's definitely made great progress this year. Much more so than her first year in the elites, which is when so many riders seem to make a big splash .

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Also props to Koretzky - fighting for that overall 2nd place after the puncture. Avancini's late flat tire saved the 2nd overall for him in front of Cink by 1 point...
Sad for the Kate though - had to abandon the home race after faded to 2nd ten - wonder if she was hurting after that XCC crash.

Reactions: jmdirt
Has been very noticeable how much Evie Richard's climbing had improved this season, but having just watch the Worlds again, it seemed to be her descending, particularly through technical sections had also moved up a level. She's been a little bit fortunate perhaps in that others peaked for the Olympics, and Lecomte is off-form for the first time, but she's definitely made great progress this year. Much more so than her first year in the elites, which is when so many riders seem to make a big splash .

She did some specific training on this because of that large drop-off in the Olympics so I'm guessing she also worked on the other technical aspects too.

Only watched the women's race, but that was a great course for short-track. Really good race by Richards. Looked like she had the opportunity to go to the front quite a few times, but held back until it counted. She definitely seems to be riding a lot smarter the last few races?

I think now she's won races she knows she can compete. You see it with new talents where they want to hit the front and hold it there the whole race because they're worried they won't be able to follow people. Now she knows that she's as good as the rest on her day she seems more comfortable to play it smart.

TRENDING THREADS