• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
F3V9sCpWgAAIm2E

Hats off to PFP who didn’t convince last CX season but still has a lot to give in MTB. Hope she will give CX another try in the upcoming season. Yet there will be no giveaways with Pieterse, van Empel and others.

Pidcock showed class but it’s also a sign that top MTB riders aren’t really competitive when compared to roadies.

Ps. The XCO race was good to watch with nice camera coverage but the short track race was a real sleeping pill. Not a good promotion for MTB.

Hats off to PFP who didn’t convince last CX season but still has a lot to give in MTB. Hope she will give CX another try in the upcoming season. Yet there will be no giveaways with Pieterse, van Empel and others.
World champs PFP is a lot different to the PFP we saw in CX last winter.....In fact she's a lot different to the rider we saw in Val di Sole 6 weeks ago.

Olympic Qualification at the moment after this race with the last rankings at UCI website
1​
RANKING NOC 1Switzerland
2​
RANKING NOC 1Switzerland
3​
RANKING NOC 2France
4​
RANKING NOC 2France
5​
RANKING NOC 3Italy
6​
RANKING NOC 3Italy
7​
RANKING NOC 4Spain
8​
RANKING NOC 4Spain
9​
RANKING NOC 5Belgium
10​
RANKING NOC 5Belgium
11​
RANKING NOC 6Germany
12​
RANKING NOC 6Germany
13​
RANKING NOC 7Brazil
14​
RANKING NOC 7Brazil
15​
RANKING NOC 8Great Britain
16​
RANKING NOC 8Great Britain
17​
RANKING NOC 9South Africa
18​
RANKING NOC 10Canada
19​
RANKING NOC 11Austria
20​
RANKING NOC 12Denmark
21​
RANKING NOC 13New Zealand
22​
RANKING NOC 14United States
23​
RANKING NOC 15Poland
24​
RANKING NOC 16Norway
25​
RANKING NOC 17Romania
26​
RANKING NOC 18Chile
27​
RANKING NOC 19Czechia
28​
AFRICA CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPNamibia
29​
AMERICA CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPMexico
30​
ASIA CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPTBD
31​
UCI ELITE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSLatvia
32​
UCI ELITE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSColombia
33​
UCI U23 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSNetherlands
34​
UCI U23 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSSweden
35​
HOST COUNTRYIsrael
36​
UNIVERSALITYTBD
1​
RANKING NOC 1Switzerland
2​
RANKING NOC 1Switzerland
3​
RANKING NOC 2France
4​
RANKING NOC 2France
5​
RANKING NOC 3Netherlands
6​
RANKING NOC 3Netherlands
7​
RANKING NOC 4Austria
8​
RANKING NOC 4Austria
9​
RANKING NOC 5Denmark
10​
RANKING NOC 5Denmark
11​
RANKING NOC 6United States
12​
RANKING NOC 6United States
13​
RANKING NOC 7Italy
14​
RANKING NOC 7Italy
15​
RANKING NOC 8Australia
16​
RANKING NOC 8Australia
17​
RANKING NOC 9Great Britain
18​
RANKING NOC 10Brazil
19​
RANKING NOC 11Sweden
20​
RANKING NOC 12Germany
21​
RANKING NOC 13Canada
22​
RANKING NOC 14Poland
23​
RANKING NOC 15Belgium
24​
RANKING NOC 16Czechia
25​
RANKING NOC 17Estonia
26​
RANKING NOC 18Slovenia
27​
RANKING NOC 19Ukraine
28​
AFRICA CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPSouth Africa
29​
AMERICA CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPMexico
30​
ASIA CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPTBD
31​
UCI ELITE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSHungary
32​
UCI ELITE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSSpain
33​
UCI U23 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSNew Zealand
34​
UCI U23 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSPortugal
35​
HOST COUNTRYIsrael
36​
UNIVERSALITYTBD
Host Country?
Since when were the next Olympics in Israel?

OK, the dust has settled (lit/fig):
The start grid mess isn't about who got what, but the timing IMO.
-we've all known for months that MvdP, TP, and Sagan were going to do the XCO.
--make a decision in April about starting position preference.
-IMO, TP should get a front row start because he is the reining Olympic Champ and won a World Cup this year.
-IMO, MvdP should get some preference because he has done World Cups in the past and features at the front when he does.
--Being World RR Champion should skip him up.
--Being World CX Champion should skip him up.
--5th row seemed OK to me.
-IMO, PS should not get any preference.

Disclaimer: I am a 'fan' of all three.

In 2024 XCO will be 6 days before RR. Should the reigning World RR Champion risk something like what happened to him today before a olympic road course that suits him while he is on his prime (the next will happen when he will be 33 in a tbd course)?
MvdP needs to focus more on Vtt, even if it means a reduced road schedule ahead of the Olympics. 2 bonehead crashes in his 2 biggest races ought to tell him something...

MvdP needs to focus more on Vtt, even if it means a reduced road schedule ahead of the Olympics. 2 bonehead crashes in his 2 biggest races ought to tell him something...

A few of us on here think that. I feel this started back in 2019, when he didn't ride the MTB Worlds in Monte Saint-Anne when he was in great form - and chose the Road Worlds in Harrogate. The Tokyo test event was not long later, and a few days before him/ his team decided against going - instead he rode a road race in Belgium.

Obviously 2020 was affected by Covid and that ruined his plans.....and the late season World Cups/ Worlds didn't suit his schedule.
Then just 2 World Cups in May 2021 before the Olympics in July.....when the prep for and racing the Tour took precedence. And we know what happened.

His best performances on the MTB have been when he's done a proper programme and is used to racing the MTB - 2019. You can't turn up to race MTB with very little prep - even MvdP. We all know he's more than capable of running at the front, and winning these races - he's done it before.

Pidcock is meant to be racing the 2 World Cups in US/Canada, plus the Paris test event; is MvdP??

Everybody talks about what a great bike handler MvdP is but what kills him is his lack of concentration...or is it carelessness? He crashes when he shouldn't be crashing in seemingly easy corners. Maybe he's just overconfident in his skills but I've seen him lose his front wheel in many CX, road, and MTB races. Maybe with his long arms his center of gravity is too high or too far back which makes his weight over the front wheel not be correct.

Reactions: postmanhat and xo 1
Everybody talks about what a great bike handler MvdP is but what kills him is his lack of concentration...or is it carelessness? He crashes when he shouldn't be crashing in seemingly easy corners. Maybe he's just overconfident in his skills but I've seen him lose his front wheel in many CX, road, and MTB races. Maybe with his long arms his center of gravity is too high or too far back which makes his weight over the front wheel not be correct.
Most of the time when you slide out/crash in MTB it's from losing your front wheel, not your rear

British World champions on a home course; if that can't have a legacy, as in a UK XC World Cup then nothing will. It's been a golden era for British off-road cycling in the last 5-6 years with Tom, Evie, Ben & Charlie all winning multiple championships in CX and/or XCO.
I've heard there is no plan to retain the additional XC features that had to be built for these races and that Glentress is going to be returned to what it was beforehand and they'll essentially be left to rot. I'm hoping this won't be the case and the community will at least maintain the things they can as off-piste sections (we've always had lots of those at GT) but it's pretty depressing to hear this after all that recent success.

Most of the time when you slide out/crash in MTB it's from losing your front wheel, not your rear
It's a common 2 wheeled accident, whether bicycles or motorcycles.....
I've heard there is no plan to retain the additional XC features that had to be built for these races and that Glentress is going to be returned to what it was beforehand and they'll essentially be left to rot. I'm hoping this won't be the case and the community will at least maintain the things they can as off-piste sections (we've always had lots of those at GT) but it's pretty depressing to hear this after all that recent success.

Yes, I know, I recall reading something on Singletracks, and being really disappointed. These events should have a legacy beyond once a generation championships.....British Cycling need to pull their collective finger out and use that money from Shell. I fear we'll rue this in years to come as a wasted opportunity while we had world class riders - and no home round.

I don't understand venues hosting a championship for one event and never returning; we've seen a few CX Worlds not used post championships; Bieles, Bogense, Dubendorf; though they were all pretty much forgettable courses.

Reactions: jmdirt
It's a common 2 wheeled accident, whether bicycles or motorcycles.....

Yes, I know, I recall reading something on Singletracks, and being really disappointed. These events should have a legacy beyond once a generation championships.....British Cycling need to pull their collective finger out and use that money from Shell. I fear we'll rue this in years to come as a wasted opportunity while we had world class riders - and no home round.

I don't understand venues hosting a championship for one event and never returning; we've seen a few CX Worlds not used post championships; Bieles, Bogense, Dubendorf; though they were all pretty much forgettable courses.
We could do with a permanent CX round as well as a MTB one. I guess we have a downhill MTB round at least.