• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I missed the elite women's race but in the men's, Tom was fortunate that Nino flatted today after looking arguably the strongest in the race. I couldn't help but notice that Tom wouldn't say to the interviewer why his bike was malfunctioning. Very classy not blaming the supplier... Gaviria take note :)
Well, he still blamed his bike, he just wouldn't say what was wrong with it other than it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. Could have been because his bike isn't sponsor correct and talking about his ride might not have gone over well with his employer.

Or maybe the motor in the bike wasn't working properly ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Raggamuffin
A couple of other non starters in Leogang, and both riders who won World Champs in 2020; PFP & Reece Wilson.
PFP is concentrating on the Worlds in Les Gets, so is preparing for the French Nationals in Brittany.

well PFP's overall season is already hindered by the DNFs in BRA and bad luck in Nove Mesto so a mental restart and good training block seems like a good idea. It would be great to see some close battle between the experienced riders and the young guns during the WCH (with me preferring a young new world champion :) )

Reactions: jmdirt
The downhill course preview POV is just pure awesomeness

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/video-l...ackson-goldstones-leogang-course-preview.html

On another note, I see Emily Batty on the start list for the XCC. I seem to recall she was trying some sort of low carb approach to nutrition, which might be one of the reasons why her results have been (relative) crap over the past couple of years. I wonder if she's sorted that out (hope so).

The downhill course preview POV is just pure awesomeness

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/video-l...ackson-goldstones-leogang-course-preview.html

On another note, I see Emily Batty on the start list for the XCC. I seem to recall she was trying some sort of low carb approach to nutrition, which might be one of the reasons why her results have been (relative) crap over the past couple of years. I wonder if she's sorted that out (hope so).
wow... nasty conditions. love it! :D

Apropos Emily...
I don't buy this diet excuse BS (was floating around since 2019)... they are professionals and if it wouldn't work they'd be tossing this idea out right at the beginning and not after years of "bad performances"... I refuse to believe they would be willing to sacrifice so many years of her career - basically ending it with those results. She shifted her focus in different direction around 2019... She was more Instagram model/influencer and MTB ambassador than a top class bike racer for years now and it looks like she's pretty OK and happy with this path. She did a great job in the promoting of MTB among women around the world.

Last edited:
wow... nasty conditions. love it! :D

Apropos Emily...
I don't buy this diet excuse BS (was floating around since 2019)... they are professionals and if it wouldn't work they'd be tossing this idea out right at the beginning and not after years of "bad performance"... I refuse to believe they would be willing to sacrifice so many years of her career - basically ending it with those results. She shifted her focus in different direction around 2019... She was more Instagram model/influencer and MTB ambassador than a top class bike racer for years now and it looks like she's pretty OK and happy with this path. She did a great job in the promoting of MTB among women around the world.
That would make sense. I don't follow the social media thing very much, but I would not be surprised if there's more money in it as well :)

The men's race was a thriller; another Flueckiger v Schurter last lap decider; and another good result for Hatherley, Dascalu & Marotte.

As expected, the women's turned into another Loana demonstration; she just rode away from the rest for a comfortable win; was impressed was the 2nd of Jenny, whose interviews are fabulous. And Stigger in 3rd keeping the home fans happy. But what a disaster for Mona....oh dear; race over inside 10 seconds.......

They talked a lot, without really saying anything. And it was what you would expect.
They don't need to do a great deal as the RB TV coverage is so good, and it's free. I'd like to see DH qualifying live, and the U23 XCO races; sort that and I think they'll have done well.
I'm guessing we'll see more racing input from GMBN, and probably more rounds of the World Cup. Though they mentioned the disciplines all working together. It will be interesting to see how that works.

Yes, Under 23 XCO races should be already in RedBull. Even more because they are recorded live with the same graphs as the Elite races and, at least in Nové Mesto, they even pass in local TV.

I just want Rob Warner, Bart Brentjens and Claudio Caluori to keep as the voices of the sport. I don't mind if they throw Dan Lloyd around but please no Marty, Jaz (or whatever you call that guy who does some crosses) or Blythe's kind of guys.

Rob Warner is a must, along with having actually been a mountain biker, he just brings the right vibe for the sport.
I wish Rob and Bart would put in a little bit more study of the athletes. For instance, Bart didn't even know Tom Pidcock was the reigning CX World Champion when Pidcock did his first XCO race this year. That's embarrassing. Bart can't really be a fan of cycling if he didn't know that.

• Wow
Reactions: glassmoon

TRENDING THREADS