• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Road World Championships 21st-29th September 2019 - Yorkshire - Race Thread.

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Latest statement: the jury based the disqualification on images that were not broadcasted live. They also showed them to the Dutch Federation and they agreed with the decision. I'd like to hear that from them before I believe the UCI.

Have to agree - DSQ him at the time, they only had 124km to do it. If none of the race officials saw the offense, then Tough - he should keep his win. He also had an influence in the outcome of the race.
Evidence from non race officials should be in-admissible. The UCI have once again left themselves looking totally amateur & clueless.
Could it have been from transponder data that they maybe couldn’t access until after the race?

Yes, the race would have been raced differently had he been dq’ed at the time of the offense, but it’s not like a DQ after the fact is anything new in any sport, cycling in particular.

I still am not sure what to think about the disqualification. The footage of Eekhoff's return to the peloton after the crash shows him weaving in and out of the cars, which seems fine, and then at the end of the clip he is starting to get what looks like a sticky bottle from his team car--and then the clip ends. From that footage, I don't see how anything can be concluded. If he got a sticky bottle for a few seconds, that happens all the time in races, including world tour events, and it's usually not penalized. Also, in considering drafting help from cars, don't the commissaires usually differentiate between a rider who has crashed and a rider who has lost the peloton because of racing events (not a crash or mechanical)? In general, there usually seems to be some reluctance to penalize a crashed rider who is getting a bit of drafting help to return to the peloton.

Last edited:
I still am not sure what to think about the disqualification. The footage of Eekhoff's return to the peloton after the crash shows him weaving in and out of the cars, which seems fine, and then at the end of the clip he is starting to get what looks like a sticky bottle from his team car--and then the clip ends. From that footage, I don't see how anything can be concluded. If he got a sticky bottle for a few seconds, that happens all the time in races, including world tour events, and it's usually not penalized.
They are saying the footage they have based their decision on, was not broadcast on TV, so the footage you saw, was not the true/full transgression. (This is what UCI says).

He was banned for drafting, not a sticky bottle, just the Anglos making sure one of their own is on the podium, hope him and the agent wins the lawsuit.

Here are UCI's own rules of what to do in case a rider taking advantage of a slipstream behind a vehicle, make up your own minds.

EFfonsDXUAACvAo.jpg:large

From CN : "The UCI has declined to release the full video footage, but has told Cyclingnews that the rider drafted behind the team car for over 30 seconds but less than a minute, although Eekhoff's coach later admitted that the time spent behind the car was closer to two minutes."

Case closed, the coach must be fired.

Also "The incident was immediately reported by the VAR to the jury, but could not be checked until after Eekhoff and the rest of the lead group had crossed the line."

Somehow they were sure that Eekhoff will not win.

From CN : "The UCI has declined to release the full video footage, but has told Cyclingnews that the rider drafted behind the team car for over 30 seconds but less than a minute, although Eekhoff's coach later admitted that the time spent behind the car was closer to two minutes."

Case closed, the coach must be fired.

Also "The incident was immediately reported by the VAR to the jury, but could not be checked until after Eekhoff and the rest of the lead group had crossed the line."

Somehow they were sure that Eekhoff will not win.
Nah man let's not release the footage.