• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI to ban supertuck descending starting April 1st.

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DpykkLL.png

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ouch. Is he out?
I can’t tell if he’s sitting on the top tube or the saddle. Isn’t that position still okay as long as you’re not sitting on the top tube? I’ve seen enough riders descending with the “old” hands on top of bars, chest on top of hands, butt in the air aero position since April 1 (which, BTW, seems less stable than the supertuck). I just assumed they went back to that older position cause that is still allowed?

• Wow
I can’t tell if he’s sitting on the top tube or the saddle. Isn’t that position still okay as long as you’re not sitting on the top tube? I’ve seen enough riders descending with the “old” hands on top of bars, chest on top of hands, butt in the air aero position since April 1 (which, BTW, seems less stable than the supertuck). I just assumed they went back to that older position cause that is still allowed?

Watching it back, I think he was just touching the saddle, at least he was when rode past the moto right before this shot was taken.

Position 1.3.008 The rider shall normally assume a sitting position on the bicycle. This position requires that the only points of support are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle.

Riders must observe the standard position as defined by article 1.3.008. Sitting on the bicycle’s top tube is prohibited. Furthermore, using the forearms as a point of support on the handlebar is prohibited except in time trials.

One can also say that his chest was touching the handlebars which would also break the rules.

He was trying to go around the rules. It was the right decision to desqualify him. I also disagree with the existence of this rule, but if it exists, it must be followed.

• Wow
It is very poor legislation to prescribe what something "normally" is. If his chest is on the handlebars for 49% of the race, then "normally" it is not, so that is OK. The explicitly forbidden positions don't refer to chest on handlebars (but that sounds very risky to me)

I think it's very clear that if a rider thinks he can do what Carapaz did yesterday to avoid punishment for a rule that was meant to make cycling safer, then the rule badly needs to be adjusted.

But I think it's almost just as clear that a rule we have the kind of discussion about that we do now must be a pretty stupid rule. I mean, wtf is this? Do we seriously need to discuss whether a rider should or should not be disqualified for descending in a position that might or might not be illegal due to his upper body being positioned a few centimetres too high or too low, for five f*cking seconds? If Roglic leads the Tour by 5 minutes on stage 20 and on a descent instinctively goes into the super tuck for 2 seconds before he realizes that's actually forbidden now, will they seriously kick him out of the race? If no, then can you justify ever kicking anyone out of a race for super tucking?

It's just nonsense. We shouldn't be having these sort of discussions because of rules nobody needed or wanted and I honestly hope the rule will get dropped again.

It's just nonsense. We shouldn't be having these sort of discussions because of rules nobody needed or wanted and I honestly hope the rule will get dropped again.

And if you have a rule like that, I mean, make it a fine if you must or maybe a points deduction or time penalty. But instant DQ is the nuclear option. Are we going to DQ a rider for getting a push from a fan or taking a long draft from the team car after a mechanical too now?

I don't know if "rules are meant to be broken" is all a very good approach for sports...

If i travel 1000 km to a race i still want to at least have an illusion i am bringing a bottle back home. When i am riding a bike i want to be relaxed. Not stiff, thinking if i will break any rules, by putting my ass on the line.

It's just ridiculous defending this from perspective of improving rider safety or saving the planet.

If they would decide it is illegal to stand on one leg while stretching the back. We would have this same debate, some actually having the nerve to defend it.

Can somebody in the future crash, using some position on a bike. Sure it can but that doesn't change anything. That just comes with the sport and you can't do much about it.

What you can do, being UCI, is to not allow dangerous sprint on a race that had a mayor accident last year. And after have a nerve to claim you are not responsible in any way when people get butchered.

We see this all the time in real life. People not having real power to change anything substantial being under pressure. They still want to give the illusion of power by making things ridiculous.

They need to make the distinction asap, between a rider riding solo (and risking nobody's but his own safety) and a rider in group. Same with the arms on the bar in TT fashion. The entire "but kids will copy it" is such BS. That's were parenting and coaching comes in. Ban it from youth races if need be. But both measures are against the breakaway rider, against offensive cycling.

I think it's very clear that if a rider thinks he can do what Carapaz did yesterday to avoid punishment for a rule that was meant to make cycling safer, then the rule badly needs to be adjusted.

But I think it's almost just as clear that a rule we have the kind of discussion about that we do now must be a pretty stupid rule. I mean, wtf is this? Do we seriously need to discuss whether a rider should or should not be disqualified for descending in a position that might or might not be illegal due to his upper body being positioned a few centimetres too high or too low, for five f*cking seconds? If Roglic leads the Tour by 5 minutes on stage 20 and on a descent instinctively goes into the super tuck for 2 seconds before he realizes that's actually forbidden now, will they seriously kick him out of the race? If no, then can you justify ever kicking anyone out of a race for super tucking?

Stage race vs One day race punishments.

And yeah we spoke about how re** this was from the get go now we're just dealing with the natural consequences and arguing about which is the less re**** option.

They need to make the distinction asap, between a rider riding solo (and risking nobody's but his own safety) and a rider in group. Same with the arms on the bar in TT fashion. The entire "but kids will copy it" is such BS. That's were parenting and coaching comes in. Ban it from youth races if need be. But both measures are against the breakaway rider, against offensive cycling.

Carapaz was solo.

TRENDING THREADS