• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI: Valverde wonÂ’t get deal for confession

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Of course not. The UCI is about upholding the omerta.

From a call today with a friend back Denmark, one Lance goes down (likely before the Tour), McQuaid will be "lame duck" at the UCI and will be jettisoned (along with Hein) from the IOC.

More to rock their world is coming.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

To be quite honest, the main problem with this supposed confession, is the credility. I do not wish to sound like Pat or Armstrong, but if he wanted to get a shorter suspension he should have been forthcoming with the information at a earlier stage and not after almost 2 years of legal battles. However the statement as it is worded is not one that I would issue out. I would have written or stated it in such a way as to acknowledging that if he had come out with the information at an earlier stage he would have a reduced sentence and anyone else coming forth with this information will see such a reduced sentence

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
From a call today with a friend back Denmark, one Lance goes down (likely before the Tour), McQuaid will be "lame duck" at the UCI and will be jettisoned (along with Hein) from the IOC.

thanks Colm, keep up the good work. Perhaps one of those mechs on that team, might know something about Spartacus. Drill the sources like BP.

Colm.Murphy said:

Interesting update thanks. I'm not sure ASO and the Feds can have him ride come July. It will just get too embarrassing when further revelations come out.

I hear the two further emails are circulating but the press is unwilling to print their contents at this point.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:

Exactly. This is the precise time the UCI should be aggressive in its attempts to expose the doping everyone knows is happening. Hhowever, they would rather look pious and pretend to be upholding the dignity and morality of the sport instead of rooting out the sickness that is killing it.

Pat McQuaid needs to resign, and resign fast. He is an emperor with no clothes.

Colm.Murphy said:

McQuaid was just reelected. He has four more years. The FIA gave Mad Max Mosley a vote of confidence after he was video taped in a sadomasochistic Nazi-style orgy with five hookers. McQuaid can probably get the same type of support from the national federations. He will be around for a long time.

BroDeal said:
McQuaid was just reelected. He has four more years. The FIA gave Mad Max Mosley a vote of confidence after he was video taped in a sadomasochistic Nazi-style orgy with five hookers. McQuaid can probably get the same type of support from the national federations. He will be around for a long time.

Good points. Look at Silvio Briatore. Once on top of the world and now can't work in his sport and is being investigated for tax evasion.

I'm hearing the UCI will be banned from serving in the US and some other countries. I'm not sure how that will work as the UCI works out of Switzerland.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I hear the two further emails are circulating but the press is unwilling to print their contents at this point.

Yes, same here. Could be any day this week. I have a feeling there will be a certain IOC member who will be taking it on the chin.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:

Is it just me or was there something else in this post before it? I really think I first read something else

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
Unless you are reading between the lines, :), then no.

I thought there was a third post there first which had nothing to do with Armstrong, probably just me trying to ignore most things Armstrong related as I hope he goes on retirement 2.0 as quickly as possible

(retirement 2.0 meaning either stop racing get out of cycling all together and live a silent live, or Retirement plan 2.0 jailtime, just as long as I don't need to hear from him and his syncophantic cronies, nor of his rabid fanboys and the haters) God the Tour is gonna suck, no matter if he rides or not, if he rides everybody will be focusing on him and his performances, or lack thereof. While if he is riding it's gonna be focusing on him and what he does at that point and how much "better" the race would be would he be there

Moose McKnuckles said:
Honestly, I don't think Lance is going down before the Tour. I just don't.

I don't see it happening either. Federal investigations happen slowly...very slowly. The ASO and UCI are determined to have Armstrong at the Tour. There is a lot of money riding on his participation. It would take something huge for those two organizations to refuse to let him race. Radio Shack's sponsorship is built around Armstrong racing the Tour. If Armstrong bails then RS's reason for sponsoring the team evaporates. They did not sign on to support an unknown little bald guy's bid to win the TdF.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I don't see it happening either. Federal investigations happen slowly...very slowly. The ASO and UCI are determined to have Armstrong at the Tour. There is a lot of money riding on his participation. It would take something huge for those two organizations to refuse to let him race. Radio Shack's sponsorship is built around Armstrong racing the Tour. If Armstrong bails then RS's reason for sponsoring the team evaporates. They did not sign on to support an unknown little bald guy's bid to win the TdF.

I guess we'll have to watch and see if any of them decide taking the risk of having it blow up their event is worth the upside of his presence.

Back on topic, I do know one very fast Spaniard who will not be at the Tour.

BroDeal said:

Big big big risk. If you were ASO would you want doping to become the main story of the Tour? They can't control this one. If the Tour has another Festina/OP/Chicken moment it will be so hard to get through this time round. McQuaid will be telling the world how clean the sport is now whilst more and more information will leak on Armstrong, Hincapie, Levi and the BioPassport that favors the rich and bribes to the UCI.

Seriously ASO won't know how to pull itself out of this one. They can't afford to have Armstrong there. All the press will want to talk about is the Landis emails not each days stage.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:

Yea, any proclamation that Armstrong is going down soon seems a bit optimistic to me. Building a case of this magnitude takes time regardless of how quickly some people may spill their guts. This is not the type of case where you take the principles down in pieces. You keep the cards close to your chest and then take them down with the weight of your evidence all at one time. Indictments, perp walks, the whole nine yards. I would imagine that the Feds in this case will not just nibble away. They will wait until they can put the hammer down fully, and with the accusations presented thus far, that does not sound like something that is capable of materializing quickly.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Big big big risk. If you were ASO would you want doping to become the main story of the Tour? They can't control this one. If the Tour has another Festina/OP/Chicken moment it will be so hard to get through this time round. McQuaid will be telling the world how clean the sport is now whilst more and more information will leak on Armstrong, Hincapie, Levi and the BioPassport that favors the rich and bribes to the UCI.

Seriously ASO won't know how to pull itself out of this one. They can't afford to have Armstrong there. All the press will want to talk about is the Landis emails not each days stage.

To be frank, I am not sure how McQuaid can go there and be issued a credential. Or Verbruggen. Not after the next bombshell.

I also have a feeling Allen Lim will have either gone through an intensive PR training course, or will stay home in the USA.

In fact, the more I think about it, this is such a mess, with so many questions coming their way, there could be severe changes in the team rosters submitted come end of June.

If Piti were willing to give more info than just a personal confession then I would say reduce his suspension, but getting a reduction for admitting after he fought and lost the cast is ridiculous.

If the UCI had a clue then there would be something like a 25% reduction for riders who admit what they did instead of fighting the charges.

If Valverde would have been smart then he would have made a deal for a one year suspension with the Spanish fed before CAS gave its expected decision. He should have done this two months ago.

BroDeal said:

Even though he does have a better chance.;)

Colm.Murphy said:
To be frank, I am not sure how McQuaid can go there and be issued a credential. Or Verbruggen. Not after the next bombshell.

I also have a feeling Allen Lim will have either gone through an intensive PR training course, or will stay home in the USA.

In fact, the more I think about it, this is such a mess, with so many questions coming their way, there could be severe changes in the team rosters submitted come end of June.

I'm with you.

It’s a mess and so much information will be dribbling out that damage control will set in. ASO won't have a choice but to ban riders until investigations are concluded.

The French police are going to be on high alert. It would be stupid to risk doping at this year’s Tour although many will.

BroDeal said:
If Piti were willing to give more info than just a personal confession then I would say reduce his suspension, but getting a reduction for admitting after he fought and lost the case is ridiculous.

Pretty much what I came to say.

thehog said:
The French police are going to be on high alert. It would be stupid to risk doping at this year’s Tour although many will.

Will it be that much of a risk? Really?

TRENDING THREADS