• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ulissi pulled

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
King Boonen said:
No, they are not. Go and read the MPCC rules.

In fact, here you go.

4. Intra-articular corticosteroid injections have to be validated by the team doctor, who will prescribe eight days off-race.

5. In the event of collapsing cortisol levels, eight rest days are to be prescribed (waiting for normal blood tests results).

The only rules you could possibly be thinking of. Neither would have prevented Froome's TUE and continued racing.

But wouldn't the "eight rest days" stipulation have ruled out Froome's participation in Romandie?

Wallace said:
That Lampre hired Horner after seeing those blood values tells you everything you need to know about the team's ethics.

I was never under any illusion. Also hiring Maxtin says much more about their ethics than hiring Horner.

Apparently Lampre assigns 6 riders to each DS and only Costa and his close group are working with Maxtin. Hmmm interesting . . .

cineteq said:
ITT performance was too good to be true.

Why, because he beat Canc? It was very good but it wasn't all that special. Costa has always been a good hilly time trial rider and Cancellara stopped being the benchmark for time trialing a couple years ago. Martin still easily beat Costa and put a good amount of time on him on the flat part of the course.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
The MPCC has nothing to do with Froome's TUE, any MPCC rider could recieve the same and continue riding.

That's all I'll say, lets not turn this into another Sky thread.

Too late. Predictably any rider getting popped somehow has something to do with Sky, or its just that sceptic, hog and Moose are just so desperate to talk about them all the time

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
You think its fair that some sick riders will test positive due to not having TUEs, while others can dope on horse steroids and get away with it?

Lack of a TUE is irrelevant to this case surely.

Am I not correct that Ulissi didn't need a TUE for this substance so long as he didn't go over certain limits. He did. He got popped.

Ulissi's team's membership of a marketing group with certain restrictions meant that the option of a TUE for oral glucocorticosteroids (if relevant to this illness) wasn't open to him. If that's unfair he needs to take it up with his own team.

Its crazy how effective these low octane drugs are. Froome goes from sick to sickk!!. Ullisi wasn't a chump before, but he definitely turned into a champ. He may be on other drugs that went undetected, but still baffling what they can do.

It may be possible for a clean rider to win a race, but it is equally as possible for a low-octane drug to be the difference maker.

Parrulo said:
Why, because he beat Canc? It was very good but it wasn't all that special. Costa has always been a good hilly time trial rider and Cancellara stopped being the benchmark for time trialing a couple years ago. Martin still easily beat Costa and put a good amount of time on him on the flat part of the course.
Yes, he's always been a decent ITTer. But, he was just 28 sec. off Martin's winning time, over 25 Km. And have you noticed Martin can climb? Your hilly justification is weak.

So what does Salbutamol actually do for a rider?

I had a cursory glance at wiki and the first thing it said under doping was:

"Clinical studies show no compelling evidence that salbutamol and other β2-agonists can increase performance in healthy athletes"

And it doesn't seem like it's used to mask anything.

King Boonen said:
No, they are not. Go and read the MPCC rules.

In fact, here you go.

4. Intra-articular corticosteroid injections have to be validated by the team doctor, who will prescribe eight days off-race.

5. In the event of collapsing cortisol levels, eight rest days are to be prescribed (waiting for normal blood tests results).

The only rules you could possibly be thinking of. Neither would have prevented Froome's TUE and continued racing.

I stand corrected. He would be within the rules of the MPCC to take horse steroids with a TUE and race. Oral only.

Ventolin over two puffs without a TUE is a no no. Suspension.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
At the end of the day he broke the rules, so lets hope he gets the full ban and not one of these soft 6 month bans during the winter.

JimmyFingers said:
Seems a real shame, no real-performance-enhancement at all from ventolin, and yet they let other riders use proper PEDs legally for similar ailments.
So I imagine all those dopers who used salbutamol in the past (Indurain, Pereiro, Igor González de Galdeano...) did it just for ****s and giggles?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
So I imagine all those dopers who used salbutamol in the past (Indurain, Pereiro, Igor González de Galdeano...) did it just for ****s and giggles?

So how does it enhance performance then, pray tell? He was suffering from bronchiospasms, which doesn't sound nice at all.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Eclipse said:
So what does Salbutamol actually do for a rider?

I had a cursory glance at wiki and the first thing it said under doping was:

"Clinical studies show no compelling evidence that salbutamol and other β2-agonists can increase performance in healthy athletes"

And it doesn't seem like it's used to mask anything.

Works in conjunction......

JimmyFingers said:
So how does it enhance performance then, pray tell? He was suffering from bronchiospasms, which doesn't sound nice at all.
Correction: he claims he was suffering from bronchiospasms

How does it enhance performance? I don't know. There's lots of stuff about PED interaction we know very little about, since it's not typically the kind of thing people conduct serious studies about. What we do know is that salbutamol is used by dopers. They probably know more than both of us about what works and what doesn't.

cineteq said:
Yes, he's always been a decent ITTer. But, he was just 28 sec. off Martin's winning time, over 25 Km. And have you noticed Martin can climb? Your hilly justification is weak.

I don't want to derail this thread so if you really want to discuss Costa there is a thread about him that you can easily bump and i will discuss his performances with him there.

But i will say one thing, imo his ITT was good but not alarm raising, and if you want a truly alarm raising performance at the TdS then check Martin's performance. Still better in the itt's than everyone yet climbing with the best for the first time in his life. Hell the day after the itt he was stronger than Costa up Verbier. When did Martin find this climbing legs? Has he been hiding them for the past 4/5 years?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Correction: he claims he was suffering from bronchiospasms

How does it enhance performance? I don't know. There's lots of stuff about PED interaction we know very little about, since it's not typically the kind of thing people conduct serious studies about. What we do know is that salbutamol is used by dopers. They probably know more than both of us about what works and what doesn't.

Did a little research. There's not too much definitive about sabultamol, it seems it may help weight loss and muscle growth but it that seems to be about it. It still seems a very soft drug to get pinged for. It certainly isn't rocket fuel

TRENDING THREADS