• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ullrich confessed

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
darwin553 said:
I hope Ulrich faces the same consequences (in so far as they can be applied) and condemnation as LA has endured. Both peas in an ugly pod.

Sporting or personal/criminal consequences? Please specify.

The former? I may agree. A cheat is a cheat

The latter? I would think you're joking or misinformed.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Neworld said:
Sporting or personal/criminal consequences? Please specify.

The former? I may agree. A cheat is a cheat

The latter? I would think you're joking or misinformed.

Sporting consequences and as for 'condemnation' - just remember no-one forces anyone to dope. They know what they are doing isn't in the rules or spirit of the sport.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Sporting consequences and as for 'condemnation' - just remember no-one forces anyone to dope. They know what they are doing isn't in the rules or spirit of the sport.

sporting consequence and condemnation-agreed.

personal condemnation - Lancey and Jan were Worlds apart. Sequestering and stealing money from fragile and dying cancer patients with hubris that only a psychopath could manifest is unforgivable. Making arrogant statements at press conferences to socially demolish Kimmage and Walsh... running Bassons and Simeoni out of the sport, destroying Andreu and his wife...Emma O'Reilly etc... is worthy of unparalleled condemnation.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
darwin553 said:
I hope Ulrich faces the same consequences (in so far as they can be applied) and condemnation as LA has endured. Both peas in an ugly pod.

Are you at all aware of what Germany thinks of doping and Jan? You probably aren't but Jan was busted seven years ago and has already been through the ringer. Though to compare Jan to Lance is a little unfair. Jan is a doper. Lance is a criminal doping psychopath.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Neworld said:
sporting consequence and condemnation-agreed.

personal condemnation - Lancey and Jan were Worlds apart. Sequestering and stealing money from fragile and dying cancer patients with hubris that only a psychopath could manifest is unforgivable. Making arrogant statements at press conferences to socially demolish Kimmage and Walsh... running Bassons and Simeoni out of the sport, destroying Andreu and his wife...Emma O'Reilly etc... is worthy of unparalleled condemnation.

I understand where you are coming from and in hindsight having been a close follower of the LA debacle for the last couple of years I know what Armstrong did to intimidate and bully his own team-mates and others in the cycling world was deplorable.

But I come to this argument with what was a sheer admiration for Ulrich having been a keen supporter of his during his Armstrong dueling days and this news (although I have suspected it for the last few years) still hits me extremely hard and for that I hate him as much as I do LA for deceiving me.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:
But I come to this argument with what was a sheer admiration for Ulrich having been a keen supporter of his during his Armstrong dueling days and this news (although I have suspected it for the last few years) still hits me extremely hard and for that I hate him as much as I do LA for deceiving me.
You blame Jan for losing your virginity?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Mr.38% said:
Hating somebody for being a cheat in professional sports is sick. Seek mental help.

Hate is a strong word but I think it is justified here.

Ulrich is probably the only sportsperson that I have supported and can think of that has let me down because of what they did in competition. Other sportspeople have let me down but for off-field indiscretions and I generally look the other way because it is for things not directly related to sporting achievements that they made themselves famous in.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I was in a trip when this topic was started so I recapped today. Since the first pages of this thread I intended to ask something and then I saw Bavarienrider was first but from what I saw he didn’t get an answer. So if Ullrich worked with Fuentes and Fuentes had his blood and police took that blood, what was going on in Suisse that June? Ullrich won it on the limit but won it. And what he had in his store for that Tour? Maybe knowing that Birillo had his blood confiscated too, same most of the prerace favorites, he intended to race (again?) the Tour clean?
And as regards some of the comments I saw about his Giro TT being clean, I remember he took a trip to Madrid in the first rest day. I am sure I red this somewhere in 2006.

bettiniphoto_0011790_1_full_600.jpg

So Birillo, we have a deal?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
McLovin said:
So if Ullrich worked with Fuentes and Fuentes had his blood and police took that blood, what was going on in Suisse that June? Ullrich won it on the limit but won it. And what he had in his store for that Tour?

Give Ullrich's financial resources it is highly likely he had his own fridge, like Lance did. Fuentes top level program involved a lot of rotation to insure the cells did not die in storage. Because of this he likely had his own supply.

the bigger question is what did do for the Tour? It is conceivable that he had a supply that would last him through the Swiss but after that I doubt it

roundabout said:
I am curious how many bags Koldo Gil, Jäksche and Vicioso had confiscated

According to El Pais 7 BB for Jäksche, 3 for Vicioso, Gil is not on their list...
http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=1783.msg90528#msg90528

Ullrich blood source during TdS is quite a mystery, as he had 9 blood bags he couldn't use in Fuentes' house. Those bags were frozen, the method was different from LA or Landis who kept their bags just above 0°C.

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:

With all due respect, the lesson here is that it's never wise to place emotional investment in professional athletes of any sort whatsoever.