• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ultimate Fighting Championship

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think the UFC should be banned worldwide?

• Never heard of or seen the UFC before

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Not really a fan, but have seen parts of a few events online. Don't think it should be banned. If you ban this, where do you stop? Boxing should certainly be banned as well. Probably any real hits and all fighting in hockey as well. Many of the hits in the NFL and rugby and lacross as well. The constant jarring of having your brain rattled from boxing is just as bad, if not worse than what these guys do.

I will also say the sport seems a lot more civil and controlled than it was several years ago when there were no gloves, no rounds, etc. with some guys that looked like they stepped in from a bar. That was nutso.

Again, look at the aim of hockey...it's not to punch?kick/hurt someone someone.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

you've obviously never set skate in a rink then. Tell me if you have ever experienced a cross check into the glass at 30+mph.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
The aim of AFL is to kick goals and get the highest score. UFC is to bash the crap out of someone even till they are "punch drunk". In the past 10-15 years I have never seen anything of what you see in the UFC on the footy field.

Played the game ???

Not much fun being blindsided or had the stufffing knocked out of you by a "shirtfront" That **** hurts. Ive had stiches/breaks/dislocations/torn muscles and tendins/black eyes/concussions just to name a few from Aussie rules .... now tell me the sole intention of aussie rules is to kick a goal !!!!

I agree that the intent is to beat an opponent in UFC by force but really, at the end of the day ...... thats the game they are in .... they clearly enjoy it ..... game on !

auscyclefan94 said:
The aim of AFL is to kick goals and get the highest score. UFC is to bash the crap out of someone even till they are "punch drunk". In the past 10-15 years I have never seen anything of what you see in the UFC on the footy field.

seriously, just stop mugging yourself off with such incredibly ignorant statements like this...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

I believe you're being purposefully obtuse when making this statement.

Otherwise it is very naive.

There are people in professional hockey (and football for that matter) that make entire careers out of being enforcers. They are not great puck handlers, some are bad skaters even...but they can fight, and fight well, and their actions are oftentimes considered as valuable to the outcome of a game as the leading scorer's....

I don't know about other countries or states, but in many youth leagues checking is not allowed in hockey. I don't mean fighting, sticking, etc. Those of course aren't allowed. I mean checking. Why? Because you can damned hurt someone at it, and that's half the idea. NHL players have been seriously injured from legal checks in hockey, to the level of broken bones. I'm sure a serious hockey fan on here could supply a list.

I'm not a big UFC guy, like I said, but from my understanding half of the guys in the sport are submission experts, using arm locks, leg locks, etc. to get the person to give up. Not the same as trying to bash someone's face in. The one complaint I may have watching a few UFC events, is that a couple fights perhaps could have been stopped sooner. Maybe. But same with boxing.

As to the NFL. Think it's tough now? Go back to the 60's and 70's, when head slaps, clothelines, horsecollaring, helmet to helmet contact, chop blocks and crack back blocks were all legal.

Horse racing at the elite level is just cruel, not much different than bull fighting.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
NHL players have been seriously injured from legal checks in hockey, to the level of broken bones. I'm sure a serious hockey fan on here could supply a list.

This video shows 10 of Scott Stevens' hits during his career. All legal by the standards of the day, although the top 3 would probably be considered illegal since a change in rules last year. You are not permitted to make blindside hits and/or target the head. Most of these hits resulted in concussions, which is starting to be the biggest problem in the sport as consecutive hits cause so many problems.

This is an illegal hit that happened last night. It resulted in a minor penalty for interference and a game misconduct due to the injury caused. The NHL reviewed the hit and ruled that no suspension was in order. The hit is best seen at the 45 second mark of the video. The hitter is 6'9" and 255 lbs, the biggest and strongest player in the league. He is also an all star player with no history of illegal activity. I think the league dropped the ball, the injured player clearly had a step on the defenceman, who steered his head into the stanchion. The result was a concussion and broken vertebra.

Hockey is no dirtier than any other contact sport, but it puts the UFC into perspective. MMA looks rough, but there are rules that keep it civilized.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Wow... those NHL hits from Stevens were brutal! ACF is correct in saying that the intention of Aussie Rules is not to go out there and 'bash the crap out of each other', but sometimes the players sole intention IS to hurt another... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2YRvlBy3Qg&feature=fvsr Google Robbie "Mad Dog" Muir and you'll see some REAL violence on a sporting field.

And of course ACF IS a Collingwood supporter... explains a lot :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
This ...Hockey is no dirtier than any other contact sport, but it puts the UFC into perspective. MMA looks rough, but there are rules that keep it civilized.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Damn. Those Stevens hits are brutal. I believe under updated league rules a few of those would now be penalties, but many would not.

And this vidoe and the following comments really shows the point I was trying to make earlier. It's naive to believe that just because "the point" of the game is not bash one another, where there's a W or L on the line all efforts (including enforcement) will be used.

I, in no way condone it, and hope that's not how my post came across. I'm very much in favor of the newer rules against head contact, and helmet-helmet contact, blind sides, etc.

As usual Pedaling Squares has very eloquently and simply stated what I was trying to say.

One other note I will add: I just watched a tape delay of UFC 126 I believe (silva-belfort) and Strike Force. And one thing that really stuck with me was the level of respect shown by the opponents for one another. After the match it was quite common for the winner to check on the loser. In one instance, the winner kneeled and bowed to the loser as he was sitting on the mat...a very high level of respect and concern shown there.

Conversely, I can't recall a time that I have ever seen an NFL linebacker who has just laid out a QB, stop and check on him. It's usually followed by some sort of dance or celebration of the fact that the QB is off the field for the rest of the game, maybe the season. But hey, the point of the NFL isn't to bash eachother's heads in, now is it? :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Wow... those NHL hits from Stevens were brutal! ACF is correct in saying that the intention of Aussie Rules is not to go out there and 'bash the crap out of each other', but sometimes the players sole intention IS to hurt another... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2YRvlBy3Qg&feature=fvsr Google Robbie "Mad Dog" Muir and you'll see some REAL violence on a sporting field.

And of course ACF IS a Collingwood supporter... explains a lot :D
Iam a collingwood supporter but if the stereotype were true about collingwood supporters then I would like UFC.:D
Archibald said:
seriously, just stop mugging yourself off with such incredibly ignorant statements like this...

Reply to the post, don't insult...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Damn. Those Stevens hits are brutal. I believe under updated league rules a few of those would now be penalties, but many would not.

Agreed...many were actually pretty decent hard nosed hockey plays...but a couple were definitely dirty...shoulder to head on Lindros, etc. As a fan of the Hurricanes...the staggering Ron Francis gets me every time I see it!!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 and others, when an afl player hits or applies illegal amount of contact to another player they face legal ramifications within the game so therefore it is not condoned in AFL just like many other sports. One of the greates players of all time Liegh Matthews has been charged with assault after his actions on the footy field.

Even with more restrictions in UFC,the ultimate aim of the game it to hurt someone

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah.. see your point.. to a point ACF... but ur a Collingwood & I'm Carlton so our ideology is always going to be at odds. ;)

I was brought up in a household that idolised Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson and def not Cassius Clay because he was a "showboater"... this has ulimately transferred into a fascination with martial arts.. leading to UFC... which brings us here. I love it... you and others hate it... never the twain shall meet. I'm also someone who can appreciate the skill in a wide range of sports.... after coming back from my Friday hell ride this morning I made the kids lunches watching Phil "The Power" Taylor win a premier league darts match... Boxing, UFC, Cycling, Darts... is that a wide range of sports?

Still don't reckon it should be banned... but my (current) state government does... Mmmm.. whatever.... means I get a trip to Sydney occasionally.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Granville57 said:
Fascinating article, thanks for that link.
I just started a thread in The Clinic devoted to the topic (with credit given ;)).

I almost posted it in the Clinic myself. The Doctor's statements reminded me of some comments made by ??? (brain freeze) about just making the patient well.

auscyclefan94 said:
Reply to the post, don't insult...

okay, then your statement "UFC is to bash the crap out of someone even till they are "punch drunk". " just reeks of ignorance.
You obviously don't get what UFC is or how it works, and I'd take a pretty good punt that the same goes for the likes of western boxing, thai boxing, greco-roman wrestling, and any other combative sport...
your comparison with AFL is laughable - go check out the VFL from the 80's and earlier. Better yet, look up what leigh matthews did to Barry Robran because he could never get the better of him. Robran was one of the greatest and skillful exponents of the aussie rules game until matthews (who hatched and executed the plan with some other players) deliberately smashed in his knee and ended his career... Barry still walks with a bad limp to this day, decades later.

if you really want to carry on about banning combative sports - try one that doesn't include combatants that are willingly and knowingly entering the ring of the competition: bear baiting.

TRENDING THREADS