• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Underpants!!

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Well I'm asking for some smart replies but I just need to get a handle on this!
I wear underpants under my chamois/bib. Reason? well I guess it doesn't seem "proper" to not wear anything under a pair of shorts [bib].. I've got a feeling that the majority are going to say they wear nothing under their chamois/bib. Please convince me why I should go "bareback".:):eek::confused:

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
OMG! I mean, .... OMG! :rolleyes:

Dude, you're defeating the whole purpose of the chamios, it's meant to go against your skin. Boxers or briefs? :D Take cotton out of the mix and you'll be much happier. I can't believe I'm even responding to this. Goes to show how slow the forum is lately. Good luck with that! Your member name is so fitting...:p

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:
I wear underpants under my chamois/bib. Reason? well I guess it doesn't seem "proper" to not wear anything under a pair of shorts [bib].. I've got a feeling that the majority are going to say they wear nothing under their chamois/bib. Please convince me why I should go "bareback".:):eek::confused:

Because your undies will bunch up and cause chaffing.

Because they'll prevent sweat from being more easily removed from your crotch.

Once you drop the undies, try some chamois cream too. You'll wonder how you road without it.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:

You are just taking the **** out of us, right?

You are supposed to wear the jockey-shorts over your bibs.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have observed over the past 50 years that some do wear undies under the knicks so you are not alone.
one guy I know went over a rail crossing and sat on his what knots so he always wears undies now recons they hodls everything in place.
they need to be tight no seams .
and I have even seen thongs worn . just look around without being obviouse you will see many things while riding a bike.
Go into the underwear dept and ask the young lady if she has any without seems and see what she says..

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
I have observed over the past 50 years that some do wear undies under the knicks so you are not alone.
one guy I know went over a rail crossing and sat on his what knots so he always wears undies now recons they hodls everything in place.
they need to be tight no seams .
and I have even seen thongs worn . just look around without being obviouse you will see many things while riding a bike.
Go into the underwear dept and ask the young lady if she has any without seems and see what she says..

Thanks brian! I'm glad I'm not the only panty wearer! I'll report back tomorrow as I plan to go bareback...:D Thanks for your imput gents. Surprisingly I thought woman might have supplied their opinion;)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:
Thanks brian! I'm glad I'm not the only panty wearer! I'll report back tomorrow as I plan to go bareback...:D Thanks for your imput gents. Surprisingly I thought woman might have supplied their opinion;)

Now after 50 years of racing all I get to see these days is backsides while trying to hang on in the bunch. That and the wheel in front of mine no sight seeing.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
To the OP:

Are you a female?

If so, be sure to purchase riding shorts and a saddle that meet the specific needs of your anatomy. When my fiance' switched to a Terry Butterfly saddle and some woman-specific shorts her enjoyment of riding improved dramatically.

If you do any trimming or shaving in the saddle area, an infected in-grown hair is a concern. Assos makes a woman-specific chamois cream that is anti-bacterial, anti-chaffing, and is not likely to cause any skin irritation.

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Dude What are you doing! Although on a ride last year i saw a guy with the most see through shorts ever. I really wish he was wearing undies. I don't think i have ever overtaken somebody so quickly.:D

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
To the OP:

Are you a female?

If so, be sure to purchase riding shorts and a saddle that meet the specific needs of your anatomy. When my fiance' switched to a Terry Butterfly saddle and some woman-specific shorts her enjoyment of riding improved dramatically.

If you do any trimming or shaving in the saddle area, an infected in-grown hair is a concern. Assos makes a woman-specific chamois cream that is anti-bacterial, anti-chaffing, and is not likely to cause any skin irritation.

No, a male.
Had a few rides and definately bareback from now on.
However I do have another question. It's now getting colder and tights [without chamios] are the plan. So, under the bib or over the top?

iwannabeabiker said:
No, a male.
Had a few rides and definately bareback from now on.
However I do have another question. It's now getting colder and tights [without chamios] are the plan. So, under the bib or over the top?

if the tights have no pad, then over the bib. just stay in touch,we will keep you away from the "Fred Zone".

May 5, 2010
Visit site
once wore everything

When I first started riding again I used to wear all kind of shorts, running shorts, walking shorts with liner, shorts with underwear all kind of stuff. I needed to convince myself I was going to stick with it before purchasing anything. I was riding my 26 year old Centurion that I used to ride back when I was young. Once I switched to bibs with a chamois and no wear I was in heaven:D.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
There is such a thing as cycling underwear for those that just can't go commando. :cool:
Tights go on top of shorts unless the tights have an insert then you go commando in tights.
Leg warmers under the shorts unless you are a dancer then you can just do what ever you like as it will always be wrong for one or the other.:)

gazza1286 said:
Had to revive an old thread afer buying these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171179628...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Previously used briefs under my bibshorts - but these are like a second skin. go on - give them a go - commandos welcome!!

I wear something like that but longer, nearly as long as my bib shorts. Tight fitting Sports underwear shorts. No seams, no chafing, no riding up, no chamois cream required, everything held in place. Have been doing it for years. Don't care what the Fashionista Police say, it's a far better solution.. particularly in a crash.. substantially reduced road rash. Unfortunately I've been able to prove this a number of times :mad:

The only problem with wearing the underwear though is that I never get to look like this at the local coffee shop.... :rolleyes:

polish-11.jpg

TRENDING THREADS