• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Universal Sports Showing the Giro Live

This should be a sticky. At least for the next three weeks.

Cycling.TV has had the Giro off their list for some time. They also dropped some of their prices. I'm going to imagine if anyone bought the "Giro only" package some time ago, they'd be compensated.

Versus is owned by Comcast, who has a lot of resources, but nowhere near as much as NBC.

I personally think NBC deserves huge props, not just for covering the Giro, but for offering great sports webcasting. Turner Broadcasting has done a good job paving the way in recent years, NeuLion (Cycling.tv, Jump.tv) deserves credit, as did Amgen for great ToC coverage (one day glitchy), but NBC really sees the future and is making it happen.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
i have to assume that universal.com will be a capable web feed. AdH, any reason to doubt that? I have DirecTV satellite, so no TV coverage for me.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hihaaaa. Great news.

Let's hope they have some decent commentators and that they start televising from the moment the riders have wiped clean their @rses, hoisted them in their chamois, and swung them over the sadles.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have DIRECTV and in the web in my area they said it was going to be broadcasted through channel 305. So you need the Choice package in order to get it. I had an international package and had to give up some of the spanish channels that my wife likes. I hope I have a place to sleep in the next three weeks.

Cheers.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I go to their web site, click on video highlights, and they don't work. The videos start with an 11 second intro ending with the Universal Sports logo and annoying sound, then it stops. Every video highlight does this.

I notice the Universal Sports banner says "Beta" to the above right. It's certainly Beta for me... as in doesn't fully work.

Looks like the Giro won't work for me, unless they get their act together.

I go to their web site, click on video highlights, and they don't work. The videos start with an 11 second intro ending with the Universal Sports logo and annoying sound, then it stops. Every video highlight does this.

You likely need to update your browser, or try a different one, or shut your ad blocker off. This question is answered in their Help Page, click here.

A FAQ page is here that also addresses this issue.

If you're watching outside North America, you may get blocked and see nothing. But if you're outside North America, there's a good chance it's on TV.

For those of you unsure about where to find the direct link to it on Universal Sports website to watch for free:

Click Here for Universal's Giro Site.

Huge, huge props to David Michaels, EP at Universal NBC for pulling this off. I don't know who this guy is, but he's the best man in all of broadcasting if you ask me.

Cycling.TV no longer offers the Giro in their packages, or alone. They have also dropped their prices slightly. I would write to them and see if they can compensate you if you previously paid.

Finally, if you don't get it on TV and can't get Universal to work, there is still Steephill.tv and Cyclingfans.com. They will offer decent live feed, but no VOD replay (other than highlights), and you might be able to get it in English, or any number of languages.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
You likely need to update your browser, or try a different one, or shut your ad blocker off. This question is answered in their Help Page, click here.

A FAQ page is here that also addresses this issue.

Yeah .... I tried all that. My Firefox browser and Flash and Movie player all as up to date as possible. No pop up blocker. The only thing I can think of is I use Linux, but this is web based video.... and I've never had an issue watching web based video before. The only problem I've ever had watching anything is ABC's Viewer, which is a stand-alone player that must be iinstalled and it states it doesn't support linux. Universal Sports makes no mention of a proprietary viewer, just the common Windows Media Player..... which my system runs that content all the time.

The FAQ's aren't helpful, and out of date? ... or what?

It says: Q="How do I Signup and enroll?

A=To process your subscription, you will need to create a username and password. You will also be required to provide your name, address, phone number, email address and credit card information. "

I see nothing about paying a fee and logging in anywhere on any page in their site? Am I missing it somehow? Is it a pay service?

franciep10 said:
if i'm in new york what channel will it come on

Oops, now I see why you thought I was joking in the other thread. No, I was serious, but I just assumed this Universal Sports business was only on the interwebz.

I checked with my provider, and I don't get the channel in Austin, TX :( (which makes sense b/c why would people in Austin care about a race with Armstrong in it?)

I hope you have better luck in New York.

Watching the Giro

Couple of comments...

I read there will be NO commentary during the Live coverage of the Giro on Universal Sports. Commentary will be available on the later recaps.

For the many of us who do not get Universal Sports, try this:

Bring up the following LIVE RAI Video feed (and turn the sound down)
mms://rntlivewm.rai.it/giro2007live#cf

Bring up the LIVE Eurosport Audio feed (with sound up):
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/audioplayer.html

I have watched the Giro this was for the last several years, and it is fantastic!
not to mention - Free.

Enjoy!

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
I had video problems too at first, but then I went to the help section and downloaded Windows Media Player 11 and the Firefox plug-in and I just saw the highlights of Contador's Basque Country TT!!!!!

Woohoo!!!!!:D

hbrown

BANNED
May 8, 2009
Visit site
Giro Broadcast

Universal Sports is working on getting the channel up on Direct TV in the next week for the Giro. The more people that call and complain the better chance there is that they will get the channel for for the Giro. #(1800-347-3288.

And the video streaming should work it works well for me!

http://www.universalsports.com/cycling

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Juan Pelota said:
Will you be able to watch replays later on? I don't know if i can watch the event live?

And what's up with cycling.tv . I paid for it. Are they still showing it?

No, I got an email today saying they lost the rights to Universal. They said something about appropriate compensation to customers. Too bad, the commentators on Cyc tv are great, especially when they have Maggie B in there.