• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Uphill hour

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jahn said:
Seems kind of dangerous, being severely underweight and dehydrated while doing an all out one hour effort.
They're not gonna ride it dehydrated. Losing any more than 2% of bodyweight in fluid makes performance go down, so they'll watch that.

It's not any more dangerous than a regular hour record, especially compared to the hour in Mexico

Re:

gerundium said:
people discussing gradient: if VAM is the goal the higher the gradient the better. you want as much energy going to gravity as possible, none of this pesky air and rolling resistance.
Higher gradients place the bottom bracket further ahead from the saddle, making for a more inefficient pedaling position on a standard geometry bike. Then we would either see the development of taylored geometry bikes or the dominance of riders who can climb most of the time out of the saddle such as ... Chris Horner! :D

Re: Re:

ice&fire said:
gerundium said:
people discussing gradient: if VAM is the goal the higher the gradient the better. you want as much energy going to gravity as possible, none of this pesky air and rolling resistance.
Higher gradients place the bottom bracket further ahead from the saddle, making for a more inefficient pedaling position on a standard geometry bike. Then we would either see the development of taylored geometry bikes or the dominance of riders who can climb most of the time out of the saddle such as ... Chris Horner! :D

You could do a lot by using a laidback post reversed and slamming the seat all the way forward.

The whole enterprise could be cheaply replaced by a powermeter and some scales ;)

Re:

yaco said:
I am interested in two things - Would a rider need to do more or less preparation than for a standard one hour ride on an indoor track veledrome ? And how the recovery period compare to the standard one hour ride ?
Less aero bike training and technical stuff that takes eons before a normal hour attempt. I think prep could be shorter

Re:

yaco said:
I am interested in two things - Would a rider need to do more or less preparation than for a standard one hour ride on an indoor track veledrome ? And how the recovery period compare to the standard one hour ride ?
Inclined terrain makes it more difficult from mechanical point of view.
Ain't everything linearly algebraic. There's some trigonometry added in already complex differential equations of bicycle.

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this idea is extremely uninteresting, but I couldn't care less which also-rans ultimately steal this meager crown from each other before everyone loses interest. Actually, Tommy Danielson should give it a try. I seem to remember Lance or someone with Discovery making the claim at one point that Danielson could probably climb a single mountain faster than anyone else.

Re:

BigMac said:
Joe Dombrowski should focus on getting his stuff together for next season and delivering for once.

Unless he's already planning on retiring, which would explain the hour talk.
Your post would have made sense if it wasn't for Dombrowski actually doing well, especially in the Giro. Unless you expected him to be a worldbeater in 2016.....

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Joe Dombrowski should focus on getting his stuff together for next season and delivering for once.

Unless he's already planning on retiring, which would explain the hour talk.
Your post would have made sense if it wasn't for Dombrowski actually doing well, especially in the Giro. Unless you expected him to be a worldbeater in 2016.....
Yes, Dombrowski has pretty much found the ideal role for him, he's a climbing domestique for the high mountains, a bit like a Sylwester Szmyd at Liquigas, or to a lesser extent a stagehunter in the high mountains.

Mayomaniac said:
Red Rick said:
The steeper and more consistent the better. Finestre seems the obvious choice. Otherwise I don't know a lot of climbs that fit well. I really like the idea though
Maybe Blockhaus, there are a few sides that offer over 1900m of altitude gain(fromRoccamorice and Fara Filiorum Petri, Blockhaus from Lettomanoppello has over 2000m of altitude gain) and by finishing just a bit over 2000m the altitude wouldn't be a big factor, but the average gradient is maybe a bit too low.

If you climb the Lettomanoppello side in 60 minutes, you would clock a VAM of 2038 for the whole climb. What we are looking for according to Dombrowski is 1900.

345m105.jpg

So when we cut out these first 2,2k and start at 130m, we would have to climb up to 2030m to get these 1900 meters done in one hour. In case of this climb it would mean 24,96k @ 7,6% in 60 minutes.

I don't know about his weight, wind conditions or the tarmac there, still it seems like a lot of watts for one hour. Nuclear-powered Robo-Basso did Lanciano with a VAM of 1775 m/h, on Colle San Carlo one week later he even clocked 1820 m/h in the rain after two weeks of Giro. A climb like San Carlo starting from sea level would be ideal. Don't know, if there is something like it. Only Pico Arieiro from Funchal comes to mind, but this one offers "only" 1800 meters of climbing and you might be overcooked after these brutal ramps out of Funchal.

They shouldn't make it an hour effort. Not neccesary.

Just select 1, or 3 mountains to a list and those 3 mountains will be raced to break records on.

For example the Zoncolan in Italy will be record mountain, l'Alpe in France etc.

Looking for a specific hour record uphill is not a good idea.

hammerthaim said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Just for reference, I created a VAM v W/kg chart by gradient, for a 70kg rider, 8kg of equipment in zero wind conditions, other assumptions listed on chart:
Cheers for this.
Used in Tour De Langkawi -
https://www.strava.com/segments/643244

Something for people to note is how gradient causes a wide variance in VAM for same W/kg, and a wide variance in W/kg for same VAM.

e.g. at 6W/kg, VAM varies from ~1500m/h to ~1700m/h for gradients between 6-10%
And at a VAM of 1600m/h, W/kg varies from 5.5 to 6.5 over the same gradient range.

Re:

Kwibus said:

Just select 1, or 3 mountains to a list and those 3 mountains will be raced to break records on.

For example the Zoncolan in Italy will be record mountain, l'Alpe in France etc.

0025.jpg

No. It is not a good idea for 1 hour.

Escarabajo said:
Kwibus said:

0025.jpg

Riders push themselves in races all the time. A one hour effort cannot be worse for you than riding a GT

Red Rick said:
Escarabajo said:
Kwibus said:

0025.jpg

Riders push themselves in races all the time. A one hour effort cannot be worse for you than riding a GT
I know. I was just getting bored with no much cycling. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS