• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA Cycling Pro Championships

National championships are usually pretty weird, with the occasional random breakaway that wins just because the big teams (in terms of how many riders they have in the race) have a guy in the break and the Pro tour teams are too small/don't want to bring them back. Gets even more weird in small countries like Norway, here it's usually like this: Breakaway gets 5-10 minutes, EBH/Hushovd/Arvesen attacks from the peloton and close down the huge gap themselves in a short period of time :p

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Looks like King may just pull this off. Unbelievable. The time trial and road race won by a 20 year-old (Phinney) and a 21 year-old (King).

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
this guy secured his spot in the Pro Tour for next year. Radioshack has to bring him up.

I read this morning that Bruyneel made that call to him after the race. I followed King on twitter (@BenKing89) last year - he seems like a good kid.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I read this morning that Bruyneel made that call to him after the race. I followed King on twitter (@BenKing89) last year - he seems like a good kid.

He is a great kid!! Great parents and family!! His younger brother (14 yrs old I think) is a pretty darn good rider too...Anyway, couldn't be happier for the young man. He races with abandon and guts.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I was at the race. Great seeing those 3 guys coming through and then King by himself. You could tell he was suffering at the end, but he held on. At the finish he stopped right in front of us, was off the bike and just hit the ground. Lots of other cyclists were very happy for the kid, he seems to be very well liked.

Pics I got before my camera died a very untimely death.

5006753760_345acca1a9.jpg

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I noticed in the interviews that it seemed like Radioshack and Livestrong seemed to ride as one big team. King made comments about how by being up front he was just hoping to be there to help Taylor Phinney or one of the Radioshack guys if they came up... and Hincapie said that Leipheimer refused to work to catch King up the road.

Does that seem a little off? I mean, I know they are a feeder team for Radioshack... but they aren't the same team.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Three riders in the break kept 5 teams from working to catch them. King took out Livestrong and Shack. Zwizanski and Holloway took out their respective teams and one of them has already signed with Healthnet for next year, so they were not going to chase. BMG and Garmin were the only big teams left to chase.

When the chase pack came through you had Horner, Levi and Phinney up near the front gumming things up.