• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA Today article

May 26, 2010
Visit site
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2010-07-21-lance-armstrong_N.htm

"His is one of the most inspirational stories of this generation, so it would be beyond disappointing," said David Carter, executive director of the University of Southern California Sports Business Institute. "His story is as compelling as it gets on and off the bike, so his deceit would be legendary. Folks who have suffered from physical issues, who have more invested in him as a beacon of hope, would be quite personally disappointed. His fall would be absolutely amazing."

May 7, 2009
Visit site
read the posted comments, many personal attacks against the writer. Honestly, the diehard LA fans are the real "haters" out there. Just read the hatred directed at those who deflate this ridiculous myth with a dose of reality

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes I really wonder. Is the general public really that ignorant and nasty towards an author who writes something people don’t want to hear? Actually, based on everything I have seen, I think the answer is “yes” sadly.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2010-07-21-lance-armstrong_N.htm

"His is one of the most inspirational stories of this generation, so it would be beyond disappointing," said David Carter, executive director of the University of Southern California Sports Business Institute. "His story is as compelling as it gets on and off the bike, so his deceit would be legendary. Folks who have suffered from physical issues, who have more invested in him as a beacon of hope, would be quite personally disappointed. His fall would be absolutely amazing."

I am not sure I agree cancer victims would be that disappointed. This guy went from near death to winning 7 TDF victories while doping or not. He beat rivals who have been accused or found positive of doping. His organization was built around these victories; but, I am not sure that will truly deflate if found guilty. I think it will impact cyclists; but cancer victims - no. I guess we just might see...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
read the posted comments, many personal attacks against the writer. Honestly, the diehard LA fans are the real "haters" out there. Just read the hatred directed at those who deflate this ridiculous myth with a dose of reality

Well it is USA Today - most of those leaving comments clearly don't know how many wheels a bicycle has. I made it through about 5 comments before I had to close the tab in Firefox and reach for the Pepto.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
Sometimes I really wonder. Is the general public really that ignorant and nasty towards an author who writes something people don’t want to hear? Actually, based on everything I have seen, I think the answer is “yes” sadly.

You really wonder about that? The general public is very ignorant when they do not want to hear things that match their beliefs or agenda.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
goober said:
I am not sure I agree cancer victims would be that disappointed. This guy went from near death to winning 7 TDF victories while doping or not. He beat rivals who have been accused or found positive of doping. His organization was built around these victories; but, I am not sure that will truly deflate if found guilty. I think it will impact cyclists; but cancer victims - no. I guess we just might see...

that depends on so many things, if his charity has been doing the right things with the donations, how LA handles himself throughout this episode and how the media portray him and how he handles that. People are willing to forgive those who have 'sinned', but it depends on the manner of the sin and whether on is truly repentant or not. LA has said he will deny the charge of doping till his dying day, if he does because it is not official but we all know, well not all the public are not that stupid.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I expect to see a bunch of these "poor cancer patient" stories.
waa waa waa.

But Cancer Survivors have more important things to think about.

Cancer Survivors will care the LEAST about Lance's heinous acts of crime.

Cancer Survivors are WARRIORS.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
You really wonder about that? The general public is very ignorant when they do not want to hear things that match their beliefs or agenda.

yeah, poor choice of words on my part. Just a very mild way of expressing dispair at a previously known/suspected attitude.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:
Those comments make me despair. I don't even think LA getting jailed would change their minds.

As a general proposition, I'm getting tired of "comments" sections at the end of articles. I guess it increases traffic on the page for the advertisers, but I'm not sure what other purpose it serves, other that give a platform for people at the extreme end of an issue to attack the author. The people who think the article is well written or researched generally won't post (with a few exceptions).

May 8, 2009
Visit site
goober said:

I tend to agree. I think the only way that it would really hurt the cancer side of things is if he is shown to be using the charitable organization as his own piggy bank. In my experience fans have a pretty high tolerance of sport dopers, particularly where it is obvious that they were just doing what needed to be done to compete against all the other dopers.

Kennf1 said:
As a general proposition, I'm getting tired of "comments" sections at the end of articles. I guess it increases traffic on the page for the advertisers, but I'm not sure what other purpose it serves, other that give a platform for people at the extreme end of an issue to attack the author. The people who think the article is well written or researched generally won't post (with a few exceptions).

Do people typically read those things? I know I don't unless I have a strong suspicion there will be something stupid said.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
I expect to see a bunch of these "poor cancer patient" stories.
waa waa waa.

But Cancer Survivors have more important things to think about.

Cancer Survivors will care the LEAST about Lance's heinous acts of crime.

Cancer Survivors are WARRIORS.

i would not be lumping us together as such.

i truly believe that surviving was as simple as a role of the dice. I watched people crash next to me during treatment. Every story is different.

Some people never asked to know the truth. The media is going to cram it down their throat starting with Lemond. Leak by little leak.

Surviving meant you got a slice of dumb luck. Enjoying it, now that is the survivors dilemma.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JayZee said:
..... I think the only way that it would really hurt the cancer side of things is if he is shown to be using the charitable organization as his own piggy bank.......

which is what the various charity watchdogs suspect is happening...:rolleyes:

when it is pointed out that to his adoring public that he pushes the livestrong.com which makes him a lot of $$$$s and not the .org which makes the charity some $s people might get a little peeved.....

if he was truly in it for cancer don't ya think that everywhere we saw livestrong it would have the .org on it, now why would he do that when everyone checks out .com first and cha-ching goes the register...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:

Don't read them. Their purpose are to provide a mechanism for debate about the article. It is not fair for someone to present a view on something without allowing counter argument as media reports are not always factual and usually have a bias or agenda. But I agree, the comments are usually useless like "First" or "Obama's fault"....

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:

Almost all of those "comments" have the same phrasing and orchestrated structure of many arguments favoring LA on this forum. Some of them look like they were written by the same person with a minor change in defense posture.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
All I can say with certainty regarding the "debate" surrounding this article is that Christine Brennan is hot.

billies_awards_6.jpg

A

Anonymous

BikeCentric said:
All I can say with certainty regarding the "debate" surrounding this article is that Christine Brennan is hot.

Umm....

Not....

TRENDING THREADS