• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 419 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Maybe this is an under the table plea type deal. give up fight and we wont disclose evidence

In the words of LeBron James "not 4, not 5, not 6 not 7"

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
QuickStepper said:
This has been kicked around all over this forum and I think SCA has no claim against Armstrong at this point, and they will do nothing, and they will not file any litigation against Armstrong trying to get back their money.

First of all, the SCA proceeding was an arbitrated matter. Second, it did not go to a judgment, and thus there is nothing for any jidicial body to set aside. Armstrong, despite what the media may have misreported did not "win" the case, nor did he get an "award". The case settled.
This means that Armstrong/Tailwinds and SCA signed a settlement agreement, in which neither side admitted liability to the other, and I am 99.9% positive that in settling their arbitration claim, the parties' executed a mutual, general release of any and all claims that either party had against the other, forever and for all time.

No court anywhere is going to go behind a negotiated settlement agreement to try to figure out if one side or the other made misrepresentations, nor will a court try to figure out whether a party's "belief" about why it was settling constituted a reasonable belief based on fact, or whether the party acted unreasonably. Court's don't do this because it defeats the very purpose of settling disputes and would mean that no settlement would ever be final or free from collateral attack. So I think anyone who mentions the SCA case is barking up the wrong tree when it comes to trying to set aside a negotiated settlement of a contract dispute that was submitted to arbitration and resolved almost 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, you do make a very good point. :(

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Turner29 said:
There might be one way for the USADA to publicly state some evidence against Armstrong without potentially running afoul of various procedures it is bound to -- that with the Biological Passport violations.

They might be able to provide specific numbers there to support a violation, much the same way if, for example, he failed a T/E testing:

By showing a T/E ratio in excess of XYZ, the defendant violated Section ABC.1 of....

They are very limited in what can be disclosed. I think they also don't have any specific numbers to provide, other than the statement that his tested samples on two (if I recall correctly) occasions during his comeback were "consistent" with blood manipulation.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Turner29 said:
There might be one way for the USADA to publicly state some evidence against Armstrong without potentially running afoul of various procedures it is bound to -- that with the Biological Passport violations.

They might be able to provide specific numbers there to support a violation, much the same way if, for example, he failed a T/E testing:

By showing a T/E ratio in excess of XYZ, the defendant violated Section ABC.1 of....

Don't worry about the evidence yet...it will come I am absolutely sure at the right time.

It is the justice of the official sanctioning of the fraud that we need to finish first.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Doping is a Faustian pact, particularly with a good works (LA Foundation) "cover" story following and misdirecting the attention of others regarding the pact. That's evident.

Similar to Jerry Sandusky and the Second Mile Foundation.

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
Maybe this is an under the table plea type deal. give up fight and we wont disclose evidence

In the words of LeBron James "not 4, not 5, not 6 not 7"

Nope. USADA was already under a restriction, based on the provisions of the WADA Code about what kind of information can and cannot be released publicly. And given the barbs being traded in the last letter from Tim Herman to USADA issued concurrently with Armstrong's final statement, and the public response from USADA that they intend to press forward with imposing sanctions, I don't think there's been any sort of "deal" cut between the two. Not at all.

python said:
Don't worry about the evidence yet...it will come I am absolutely sure at the right time.

It is the justice of the official sanctioning of the fraud that we need to finish first.

WOW. You just became my favorite snake.

In my jubilance I forgot all about that.

Like a boxer in the corner. DING!

Round Two.

Epic.

Sir Jeff Novitzky

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
QuickStepper said:
Nope. USADA was already under a restriction, based on the provisions of the WADA Code about what kind of information can and cannot be released publicly. And given the barbs being traded in the last letter from Tim Herman to USADA issued concurrently with Armstrong's final statement, and the public response from USADA that they intend to press forward with imposing sanctions, I don't think there's been any sort of "deal" cut between the two. Not at all.

regardless it looks like nothing more then a power struggle unless they show us something. and no I am no Lance Boy.

QuickStepper said:
Anyone got any insight into how the monetary side of the sanctions might work based on anything that they know of that has occurred in the past when an athlete has been sanctioned?

It would be on a case-by-case basis for sure because the cost of pursuing some of the payouts wouldn't make the clawback worthwhile. And then there's the possibility Wonderboy negotiates rock-bottom settlements using numbers created in the "you can't get my money because nothing is within the reach of American law" tactic.

There's litigation bonus rounds for sure once arbitration and whatever follows is done. SCA is probably on the short list for the simple fact Wonderboy perjured himself. If I were the company that did a deal for Liveswrong branded low-end treadmills I'd have my options mapped already too. That's going to be a slow, expensive grind for Wonderboy though. Probably more drinking binges too.

Let's be hopeful USADA's stuff opens more and different criminal processing.

Armstrong's statement was very disappointing but not surprising. His strategy has always been to confront the character of his accusers and avoid any discussion of the specific details of the allegations against him. This statement is just another variation on this old theme, where Armstrong will continue to refuse to discuss the specifics while this time hiding behind the jurisdiction conflict between USADA and the UCI.

The worst part for me was the statements by the two lawyers. There was something galling and ultimately unprofessional about the aggression and posturing in their statements.

QuickStepper said:

What about this:

@joelindsey: @jasenthorpe @billgifford Oh what the heck. I peeked: Section 16: “USADA may respond publicly” if an athlete comments on a case…

@joelindsey: @jasenthorpe @billgifford And: “…after a rule violation has been established, USADA may comment upon any aspect of the case.”

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
so far from what I gathered over a few beers and Pizza and ESPN out on the town , the only people who believe he doped still are here on this site.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
From Tygart's interview with Velonation:

VN: There was reportedly a lot of evidence in the case, there was witness testimony and presumably more…do you expect any of those details to emerge?

TT: Yes, absolutely…at the right time. Obviously there are other cases that are alleged to be involved in the conspiracy. Their cases are still proceeding, so it will be in due course.

VN: So there is no impediment to USADA releasing the evidence?

TT: No, no.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-1st-1998-will-be-stripped.aspx#ixzz24R6Deq5I

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
regardless it looks like nothing more then a power struggle unless they show us something. and no I am no Lance Boy.

Aha! Now you're figuring out why Lance did what he did today. Let's just make it look like some clusterf%ck power struggle.

These guys are shrewd if nothing else.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
TubularBills said:
WOW. You just became my favorite snake.

In my jubilance I forgot all about that.

Like a boxer in the corner. DING!

Round Two.

Epic.

Thank tubular. But all the praise should really be directed at Travis...note how methodical and thoughtful he has been all along.

He and Bock outlawyered and out maneuvered 7 highly paid shrill at every turn.

One side note: I understand the idea behind keeping discussion in one thread and not having the forum filled with threads all on the same topic. This thread has gotten out of hand, having a soon to be 1000 page plus thread is not very practical either. It might be nice to have separate threads when there is a major development like what happened today.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
******bag

ÅSBJÖRN BENKT said:
Taylor Phinney‏ tweet:

1 thing I will say abt @lancearmstrong is that he was integral in bringing this @USAProChallenge to life. And this race ROCKS. #usapro

weak, way to suck a$s phinney.

Blakeslee said:
One side note: I understand the idea behind keeping discussion in one thread and not having the forum filled with threads all on the same topic. This thread has gotten out of hand, having a soon to be 1000 page plus thread is not very practical either. It might be nice to have separate threads when there is a major development like what happened today.

That is what what freaking stupid about Susan not wanting the legal stuff in the legal thread. There is no way anyone can read this unless they follow it every few hours.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
"VN: Finally, Armstrong’s lawyers claimed again today that this is a waste of taxpayers’ money – how would you respond to that?

TT: I think cheating with dangerous drugs in sport is an important public health issue, it is the number one issue that clean athletes are concerned about. It is why we are in existence. If people don’t think it is important and we shouldn’t do our job, then shut us down.

But that is not what the overwhelming majority of clean athletes want and it’s certainly not what any sport entity wants….to have a drug-infested sport that is won by those who have the most professionalised doping programmes."

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-1st-1998-will-be-stripped.aspx#ixzz24R7LVSwZ

Nice comment.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Blakeslee said:

agreed impossible to navigate info

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS