• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 222 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkvW said:
I'm really happy with Tygart. He's all about fairness to the athlete. He rolls on Lance, he betrays himself. Not gonna happen, I say.

I skimmed over his letter. Not sure he wrote this himself! Its long! and there it is: 500 drugs tests!

http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=303025

USADA’s arbitration system was established in light of the more regular circumstance where an athlete fails a drug test. Typically, sanctions would stem from a test result indicating that an athlete violated anti-doping rules. USADA would then decide whether to sanction that athlete. If sanctioned, the athlete would have the option of accepting the sanction or challenging the test results in arbitration.

Armstrong, however, has never failed a drug test despite having been tested over 500 times. USADA’s allegations are instead based on witness testimony. To date, USADA has not even disclosed to Armstrong who is testifying against him. At the arbitration hearing, the witnesses could refuse to be cross-examined and would not be required to testify in person. USADA has no obligation to disclose exculpatory evidence. Presumably, USADA has offered other athletes inducements to testify against Armstrong, but USADA has no obligation to disclose what those inducements were or whether it offered them. Arbitrators are not chosen under the election procedures afforded by the Federal Arbitration Act to ensure neutral arbitration. The only judicial review permitted would be in Switzerland, not the United States. It is clear that the USADA arbitration process lacks the most basic due process.

If Armstrong submits to USADA’s arbitration, he will be in the unenviable position of carrying the burden to rebut testimony from witnesses he cannot even cross examine. As attorneys for Armstrong asserted, “USADA has created a kangaroo court that it asserts has the power to bar Mr. Armstrong for life from his chosen profession and to strip him retroactively of the victories he has earned, including victories earned prior to USADA’s creation.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
someone needs to send that congressman Dimspace's testing image

lancetestingsmall.png

edit p.s. taken from this thread

college

BANNED
Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
patricknd said:
are you sure they aren't just being polite?

Hey Patrick keep the livestrong spirit. I kbow you have had and won the fight against cancer. That is an awsome fight. These small time comics ate nothing to the real deal.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Trek HQ is in his district.

It sounds like Trek is still doing its best to support doping.

Indeed - from last month:
(bonus points if anyone spots something else in this, see if you have been paying attention all these years)

Lance Armstrong is gathering his lawyers to fight allegations that he used performance-enhancing substances.
And Wisconsin based Trek Bicycle Corp., which has had a long-standing relationship with Armstrong, is supporting him.

Bill Mashek, a Trek spokesman, confirmed that Armstrong has a sponsorship agreement with the company.
"He has been a great partner for Trek," Mashek said.

He added that the company had no comment on the new allegations, "recognizing he is innocent until proven guilty."

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
This guy is really pathetic.

He is trying to imply to the ONDCP that because no charges arose from the federal investigation that USADA now have no grounds to proceed. Does he not know doping on its own is not a criminal offence?

BTW if information arises out of this Lance and USADA case in a criminal way, does anyone else think there could be a new federal investigation open?
I'm not trying to start a political debate but one thing I learned from the Roger Clemens congressional hearing is that Republicans are generally major fanboys when it comes to their sports heroes doping.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Epicycle said:
I'm not trying to start a political debate but one thing I learned from the Roger Clemens congressional hearing is that Republicans are generally major fanboys when it comes to their sports heroes doping.

I just think they don't like regulations for rich people. They're all about law and order for the poor huddled masses, and the wretched refuse...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
college said:
Hey Patrick keep the livestrong spirit. I kbow you have had and won the fight against cancer. That is an awsome fight. These small time comics ate nothing to the real deal.

please don't try to imply that those here who believe Lance doped support cancer. pathetic

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:

We this is all over I think we will find that both sides of the isle bought into the myth

college

BANNED
Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Boeing said:
please don't try to imply that those here who believe Lance doped support cancer. pathetic

I never said that. patrick happens to be a cancer survivor and I was directing my conments to him. As to the comic reference i think that should be easy to see who is posting comic strips. It is not like i have created a thread about things that happen in the shower.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
We this is all over I think we will find that both sides of the isle bought into the myth

There's nothing mythological about influence peddling and belonging to clubs where a big part of the recreation is hookers and blow.

Race Radio said:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...sts-probe-of-usada-over-armstrong-case_229472

Does anyone think the USADA proceeded with the case against Armstrong without talking it over with all the key people?

I wonder if The fat dude even called ONDCP?

It deserves to be printed in full:

“The case against all those involved in the USPS Pro-Cycling Team Doping Conspiracy, including Lance Armstrong was not brought lightly,” the statement read. ” We are well aware of his popularity and the admirers he has on Capitol Hill and elsewhere, but our responsibility is to clean athletes who demand that USADA protect their right to a level playing field by eradicating drug use from sport. They rightly depend upon USADA to ensure that no matter how famous or anonymous, we will treat each alleged offender the same. USADA accomplishes this directive when it has sufficient evidence and not on any other basis. Any decision to sanction an athlete is the result of multi-level review by persons independent of USADA including a panel of arbitrators following a full evidentiary hearing with a right of appeal where, witness testimony is given under oath and subject to cross examination and which can be open to the public.

“The evidence is overwhelming, and were we not to bring this case, we would be complicit in covering up evidence of doping, and failing to do our job on behalf of those we are charged with protecting. We will reach out to Congressman Sensenbrenner and offer to come in and discuss the process, which is the same in all cases whether it involves high profile athletes or those who are not. We will also offer to brief the Congressman on how USADA is funded and the oversight that is provided by ONDCP. USADA is an open and transparent organization and welcomes to opportunity to fully address the Congressman’s inquiry.”

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Yes this is true for me. I wanted to believe, bought into the train and now feel like a fool. I just ride my bike now and question everything I see (including Postal 2.0).

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

True. Republicans tend to like sports, just as Democrats tend to like celebrities. Armstrong has it covered.

But if you want to turn most elected Republicans against Armstrong, remind them of Armstrong's atheism and support of abortion.

http://www.prolifeblogs.com/articles/aggregator.php?entry=1158772

I'm not trying to start a Clinic fight over abortion! I'm only suggesting a way to limit Armstrong support from elected Republicans. No elected Republican can afford to be seen as "pro-abortion" these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.