• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Usain Bolt/Carl Lewis

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
People seem to be piling on Carl Lewis after he dared to cast doubt on Mr. Bolt's otherworldly ease while winning.

Carl Lewis reminds me of Floyd Landis or Jose Canseco, not the most likable guy, but not wrong either.

At least the USOC has a grand tradition of ignoring positive tests...the various sporting authorities were well versed in this before Lance came on the scene.

Old news, I know, but an interesting refresher.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003/apr/24/athletics.duncanmackay

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
For starters, yes Carl Lewis doped w/cough medicine. But as heavy as others like Ben Johnson or those who came up after 1990? No, of course not. Not only do the raw numbers, longevity, and constant performance (no absurd performance jumps like Bolt) speak for him, but also the not changed physics during his career. The greatest clean(ish) athlete ever. No one will match him.

The drugs are just too big an advantage nowadays to not to take. While Lewis still could beat roid users like Johnson, i must admit he´d stand no chance vs. the gene, Epo, Blood, testosterone, HGH monsters of nowadays. Add in the wealth of todays athletes, there are no boundaries to dope high tech. In the early 80s the money just wasn´t there to built on a big dope program, yet Lewis manged to post the same numbers as Bolt in his earliest days.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The numbers i posted yesterday at the London doping thread:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Thanks for the link:
I had little respect for Bolt. It´s less now. Even tough King Carl had his cough medicine positives, he´s right on the money, and he (& Calvin Smith for example) had never such dubious performance jumps like Bolt, Blake and all the other freaks from no testing land had.

Carl Lewis & Calvin Smith at the 100´s over the years:
1979 (Age 18) 10.1 *// 10.36
1980 (Age 19) 10.21 // 10.17
1981 (Age 20) 10.00 // 10.21
1982 (Age 21) 10.00 // 10.05
1983 (Age 22) 9.97 // 9.93 (A)
1984 (Age 23) 9.99 // 10.11
1985 (Age 24) 9.98 // 10.10
1986 (Age 25) 10.06 // 10.14
1987 (Age 26) 9.93 // 10.07
1988 (Age 27) 9.92 // 9.97
1989 (Age 28) 10.05 // 10.05
1990 (Age 29) 10.05 // 10.04 (A)
1991 (Age 30) 9.86 // 10.38
1992 (Age 31) 10.07 // 10.14
1993 (Age 32) 10.02 // 10.06
1994 (Age 33) 10.04 // 10.22
1995 (Age 34) 10.12 // 10.25
1996 (Age 35) 10.03 // 10.25

Look at the constant world class level. No crazy performance jumps as seen in this clowns from Jamaica. If Lewis & Smith had taken the heavy drugs as of 1990+, they´d barely (if at all) performed past 28. Let´s see if the self proclaimed legend can produce world class sprints over a decade too. Highly doubtful. Either he is caught before, retired, or produces clown times when reaching his late 20s...

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
This is CYCLING News.com......a cycling website....go find an athletics forum.

Did you forget this little gem of a thread?
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18057

Just to be perfectly clear...
Cycle Chic said:
...it was the Olympic swimmers who were on topic.

1242660097WoKe45.jpg

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I think there is a shadow of doubt over the entire thing with the Jamaicans. I mean, what other explanation besides the lack of testing is that sprinters from Jamaica are so much better than others? It's in their genes? Hard to believe.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
TheInternet said:
And I suppose this side-discussion on Bolt and Lewis is in the Olympics Doping Thread, too...

Allow me to keep this topic cycling worthy ;)

He runs faster than the women road cyclists ride down hill :eek:

I was imaging to myself what if i was in the shoes of a moron like ligget when some network interviews about lance doping, what would i say instead of the "allegations discredited bla bla bla".

Anywho then i thought- what if they asked about bolt, and i thought - ouch, it would take a lot of courage to say anything about bolt who is the most heroworshiped peson in world history with the possible exception of obama and Diana in the immediate aftermath of her death.

When all the "experts" on the panel are saying they never want to see him lose and everyone in the world seems to be celebrating his wins as if it were their own children, and i have to listen to extraordinary levels of fawning over the fact that he showboats as if his poses were some sort of magic, you know you would be in for one he'll of a beating in the press if you go against that.

So the point is massive chapeau to Carl lewis. What he did takes real courage.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I was imaging to myself what if i was in the shoes of a moron like ligget when some network interviews about lance doping, rather than "allegations discredited bla bla bla".

Anywho then i thought- what if they asked about bolt, and i thought - ouch, it would take a lot of courage to say anything about bolt who is the most heroworshiped peson in world history with the possible exception of obama and Diana in the immediate aftermath of her death.

When all the "experts" on the panel are saying they never want to see him lose and everyone in the world seems to be celebrating his wins as if it were their own children, and i have to listen to extraordinary levels of fawning over the fact that he showboats as if his poses were some sort of magic, you know you would be in for one he'll of a beating in the press if you go against that.

Great post. You know the messenger is always shoot. See the numerous Armstrong incidents.

The Hitch said:
I was imaging to myself what if i was in the shoes of a moron like ligget when some network interviews about lance doping, rather than "allegations discredited bla bla bla".

Agreed. Lewis may be a fraud and a cheat but come on, nobody even question Blot and the Jamaicans the least. It's kind of funny how it works actually. You hear people talking about Johan Mülhegg and it's like:

"It was sooo obvious, we just knew something was up".

And with Bolt it's like: "OMG he is just soooo good!! Gotta be that amazing gene pool they have in the Caribbean".

Please...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Not if he is promoting Carl Lewis it doesn't!

When Carl Lewis opens his mouth he is talking about how he did it clean and he was the fastest etc....

Even after FoxyBrowns post does not exclude that Lewis might have started doping even younger, remember Armstrong was supposed to be on roids at 16 winning triathlons against adults.

Lewis aint so big calling out Bolt. The rest of the world is blind and stupid. Olympic field athletics is dirtier than cycling. It has to be to keep breaking records that the Olympics absolutely loves.

Walkman said:
Agreed. Lewis may be a fraud and a cheat but come on, nobody even question Blot and the Jamaicans the least. It's kind of funny how it works actually. You hear people talking about Johan Mülhegg and it's like:

"It was sooo obvious, we just knew something was up".

And with Bolt it's like: "OMG he is just soooo good!! Gotta be that amazing gene pool they have in the Caribbean".

Please...

Bolt is hilarious. Jamaicans going 1,2,3 in the 200? Yeah, whatever . . .

TRENDING THREADS