• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vélo d'Or 2015

Who is the best cyclist of the year?

• Fabio Aru

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Alberto Contador

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • John Degenkolb

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Alexander Kristoff

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nairo Quintana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peter Sagan

• Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 48 50.0%

• Total voters
Think you meant Froome, Contadors Tour wasn't very impressive.

Think Froome shouldn't win. Didn't do anything unique. Won Tour+Dauphine as only WT races. Has been done a few times in the last few years alone. Really think either Valverde or Kristoff should've taken this one

Re:

Red Rick said:
Think you meant Froome, Contadors Tour wasn't very impressive.

Think Froome shouldn't win. Didn't do anything unique. Won Tour+Dauphine as only WT races. Has been done a few times in the last few years alone. Really think either Valverde or Kristoff should've taken this one
Yes he meant Froome won Andalucia against Contador

Agree with you, plus Froome wasn't super dominant in any race.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Valverde comfortably, then Kristoff by some margin, and then pretty evenly matched Degenkolb and Froome. Sagan is 5th.

Edit: I forgot Aru, he's in front of Sagan, behind Froome and Degenkolb

Valverde was insanely consistent as usual but when it comes to the big wins he has FW, LBL and maybe (being extremely generous) the Spanish nat championship. That's not better than Degenkolb's season, for example, and if you look at things other than victories then it's not necessarily better than Kristoff's season either. Since there's no one clearly above the others, the Tour is given even more weight, but I wouldn't have considered Froome unless he had at least podiumed the Vuelta.

I dunno, I think I would have gone with Kristoff.

1 Greg Van Avermaet
2 John Degenkolb
3 Alexander Kristoff
4 Zdenek Stybar
5 Vincenzo Nibali
6 Vasil Kiryenka
7 Wout Van Aert
8 Mathieu Van der Poel
9 Kevin Pauwels
10 Lars Van der Haar

Good list is good.

Edith told me that it wasn't good because I forgot to put Tim Wellens in the mix. :(

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Kristoff for me the winner. Bala a close 2nd, but his 2nd part was too flawless (for Bala's standards) to win it.

Degenkolb 2nd part of the season was really so-so, so a rad race between him and Froome for 3rd.

Oh, *** it! I'm going for Landa for the 3rd podium spot! :)

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Carols said:
Valverde #1. Good to see he is getting so many votes even though he isn't well like here. But the quality of his season begs recognition!

Yep, 60% speaks volumes, especially considering he likeable to many in here.

Which is why I won't vote for him :p , but clearly, over the entire season, he was there mixing it up at the top. I can't see anyone more deserving. Froome doesn't. The classics guys? Valverde did as well as the best of them in the spring: LBL, FW, 2nd AGR...for a good rider, that's a career...

I still won't for him, but no need for a photo-finish: Valverde by a mile.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
Sagan didn't win a pile of races but IMO he was the best cyclist in almost all of the races he entered. He got my vote.

I think Tom Boonens response at the Worlds summed this up, he was overjoyed at a rival racer's win.

Sagan is the MVP, and yes, mvp is not a term in cycling

I think Valverde's season is a bit overrated. The start with the FW+LBL double and 3 stages in Catalunya was absolutely great. However after this, he didnt win one single stage in a tdf which had tons of stages he could have won and he only won one stage in the Vuelta, which also isnt really outstanding for a rider like him.

Tbh. he also finally got his tdf podium and the points jersey in the vuelta, but I'm not arguing that his season wasnt good, but that it isnt as great as many people say. Just as an example: Peter Sagan also has one very big one day race (WC RR), one vuelta stage, a gt points jersey and three more WT stages.
+Valverde: one more WT one day race, 3rd in the tdf, Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana, spanish champ and the WT
+Sagan: gc and 2 stages in california, his points jersey was the one from the tdf, points jersey tds, Slovakian champ.

Valverde probaly still had the better season because his "+wins" are definitely worth more (especially the WT and the tdf podium), BUT don't forget how many more races Sagan could have won without his bad luck and that hardly anyone says that Sagan is the rider of the year and still Sagan's and Valverde's seasons are comparable. IMO Valverde is still one of the best riders of the season about as good as Kristoff and Froome, maybe even the best one, but I remember that earlier this autumn, people said that if he had won the WC RR, it would be an almost perfect season, and that was a massive overrating (and looking at the poll which isnt close at all, I think many people still overrate it).

Ps: Voted for Sagan, because I hope he will get 2nd. :D

Gigs_98 said:
I think Valverde's season is a bit overrated. The start with the FW+LBL double and 3 stages in Catalunya was absolutely great. However after this, he didnt win one single stage in a tdf which had tons of stages he could have won and he only won one stage in the Vuelta, which also isnt really outstanding for a rider like him.

Tbh. he also finally got his tdf podium and the points jersey in the vuelta, but I'm not arguing that his season wasnt good, but that it isnt as great as many people say. Just as an example: Peter Sagan also has one very big one day race (WC RR), one vuelta stage, a gt points jersey and three more WT stages.
+Valverde: one more WT one day race, 3rd in the tdf, Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana, spanish champ and the WT
+Sagan: gc and 2 stages in california, his points jersey was the one from the tdf, points jersey tds, Slovakian champ.

Valverde probaly still had the better season because his "+wins" are definitely worth more (especially the WT and the tdf podium), BUT don't forget how many more races Sagan could have won without his bad luck and that hardly anyone says that Sagan is the rider of the year and still Sagan's and Valverde's seasons are comparable. IMO Valverde is still one of the best riders of the season about as good as Kristoff and Froome, maybe even the best one, but I remember that earlier this autumn, people said that if he had won the WC RR, it would be an almost perfect season, and that was a massive overrating (and looking at the poll which isnt close at all, I think many people still overrate it).

Ps: Voted for Sagan, because I hope he will get 2nd. :D

Problem with Sagan is that if he didn't win the WC his season would have been a bit of a disaster - at least in terms of results. Failed to win any spring classics that he was targetting, failed to win a stage in the TdF and crashed out of the Vuelta. A WC win is massive - but is it enough to transform a slightly disappointing season into being rider of the year?

Valverde won a monument and finished on the podium of a very strong TdF - that alone is an incredible achievement. They were his two main goals of the season, given how the WC course didn't suit him and he achieved them. The fact he also won a prestigious classic, a GC points jersey, GT stage, several other hilly stages (which are tougher to win than Sagan's sprint victories) and finished top 5 in pretty much every race he entered, puts him a long way ahead of the rest imo.