• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vacation/Holiday Thread

Where are you off to on your vacation/holiday? And why?

My husband and I are taking off tomorrow for a Nile cruise, one week, from Luxor to Aswan and back. We both want to see the antiquities, and enjoy some sun and warmth, and most importantly, have some time together.

Oh, and by the way, that means, y'all behave yourselves! I won't be around for a week to fuss at you!

Susan

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Plan this year:
- Grand Caymans (work-related holiday, but hope to get in some diving)
- Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix (again around a work-associated event in Birmingham, UK)
- Turkey to attend the dawn service at Gallipoli on ANZAC Day, as well as sight seeing
- Helsinki (work-related holiday, maybe see Moscow)
- Bicycle Tour of Utah?
- Cycling either Mont Ventoux or the Alps with a friend in October
- Home to Melbourne, Australia for Christmas?

Ok, so far I will be going to:-

Copenhagen in March for the Track World Championships.
Camping at Silverstone in June to see the Moto GP.
Paris in July for the TdF.
New York in September.

Still to book:-

Either Amsterdam or Rotterdam for the Giro/Tour.
A trip for my birthday in mid-October to somewhere new which i'll decide on in about July.
A weekend in August somewhere else.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
As soon as I win lotto I will be on many holidays. Otherwise I better get a job somehow so I can go. If things did work out, I could see myself buying a round the world ticket, take in Japan (been there before and love it there), Europe, America, and I could do with a spell in Brazil or Argentina. I'm not picky now am I?

Susan Westemeyer said:
Where are you off to on your vacation/holiday? And why?

My husband and I are taking off tomorrow for a Nile cruise, one week, from Luxor to Aswan and back. We both want to see the antiquities, and enjoy some sun and warmth, and most importantly, have some time together.

Oh, and by the way, that means, y'all behave yourselves! I won't be around for a week to fuss at you!

Susan

Vacation? I have heard of this.

A

Anonymous

Paris TDF - Aachen - Amsterdam - Newcastle

Roubaix if i find work between now and then and work that lets me go to Roubaix..

Tomorrow's my last day at work for three weeks but I wouldn't call it a vacation... It involves:

- a weekend away with the girlfriend in Martinborough - a little wine village an hour or so from where we live. Reason for the weekend away is mainly to take in an airshow (WW1 era planes) on Saturday, then a round of the jet-sprint nationals on Sunday;
- a couple of days with nothing planned;
- 5 days as a photographer on the UCI 2.2 Trust House Cycle Classic;
- 3 days as a photographer at the OK Dinghy National Champs & Inter-Dominions regatta;
- 2 days delivering a yacht (ex-Whitbread Around the World race maxi and 1986 Sydney-Hobart line honours winner Lion New Zealand) up the coast;
- 6 days photographing the OK Dinghy World Championships;
- 3 days photographing the Port Nicholson Regatta/IRC Nationals/Ross 780 Nationals.

Then I'll come back to work for a break.

Later in the year I've only got planned a trip to Melbourne/Geelong for the Road Words. Maybe a week or so hanging out at my brother's place in Penang as well but the GF has muttered something about wanting to go on a cruise to Alsaka.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
A Califronia lawyer buddy of mine is trying to talk me into going to Pattaya, Thailand in April.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=pattaya+girls&aq=1&aql=&aqi=g10&oq=pattaya+

I had plans to finish some things around the house, then take my daughter to Paris in July. Decisions, decisions.

I think I will go to Pattaya in the fall. It looks like a conservative quiet place where I can relax and catch up on my scripture reading.

based on portions of the 'kama sutra'?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
based on portions of the 'kama sutra'?

I don't know what this "kama sutra" is that you speak of. I'm just a poor simple country boy from Texas. I run trotlines and skin bucks. Got my own smoke, too. I'm still ****ed about my buddy in NYC that got killed for $43. Even so I never did like that *** for calling me "hillbilly".

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Arecibo, Puerto Rico in May and pique the minds of another forum I frequent, the Bad Astronomy and Universe Today Forum. Eventually I'll make my way to visit a little Swiss velodrome called CERN.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Tomorrow's my last day at work for three weeks but I wouldn't call it a vacation... It involves:

- a weekend away with the girlfriend in Martinborough - a little wine village an hour or so from where we live. Reason for the weekend away is mainly to take in an airshow (WW1 era planes) on Saturday, then a round of the jet-sprint nationals on Sunday;
- a couple of days with nothing planned;
- 5 days as a photographer on the UCI 2.2 Trust House Cycle Classic;
- 3 days as a photographer at the OK Dinghy National Champs & Inter-Dominions regatta;
- 2 days delivering a yacht (ex-Whitbread Around the World race maxi and 1986 Sydney-Hobart line honours winner Lion New Zealand) up the coast;
- 6 days photographing the OK Dinghy World Championships;
- 3 days photographing the Port Nicholson Regatta/IRC Nationals/Ross 780 Nationals.

Then I'll come back to work for a break.

Later in the year I've only got planned a trip to Melbourne/Geelong for the Road Words. Maybe a week or so hanging out at my brother's place in Penang as well but the GF has muttered something about wanting to go on a cruise to Alsaka.

Awesome stuff mate.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
A Califronia lawyer buddy of mine is trying to talk me into going to Pattaya, Thailand in April.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=pattaya+girls&aq=1&aql=&aqi=g10&oq=pattaya+

I had plans to finish some things around the house, then take my daughter to Paris in July. Decisions, decisions.

I think I will go to Pattaya in the fall. It looks like a conservative quiet place where I can relax and catch up on my scripture reading.

Pattaya is nice in the fall. They have a few witnessing / study groups you can probably join. But is solitude is your cup of tea then you can find that in Pattaya also.

I just got back from vacationing in my old home in Mississippi. I had to go over and "dispose" of a house trailer. I tried to hire some good folks to come and drag it off my property but they all made up excuses. So I rented a backhoe from hertz and dug this giant crater next to the house trailer, then pulled and pushed the trailer into the crater set it on fire and covered it up.
My cousins all came over from their trailer to watch the fire. It was really good times.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Oncearunner8 said:
Pattaya is nice in the fall. They have a few witnessing / study groups you can probably join. But is solitude is your cup of tea then you can find that in Pattaya also.

I just got back from vacationing in my old home in Mississippi. I had to go over and "dispose" of a house trailer. I tried to hire some good folks to come and drag it off my property but they all made up excuses. So I rented a backhoe from hertz and dug this giant crater next to the house trailer, then pulled and pushed the trailer into the crater set it on fire and covered it up.
My cousins all came over from their trailer to watch the fire. It was really good times.

Haha that is a classic.

I hope you got photos or videos of that.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Just got back from Hawaii yesterday.
Taking the wife to Maui in March
Santa Barbara for easter
Germany and Italy late April early May for a fund raiser and a Grand Fondo
Pyrenees for two weeks in July for Etape and Tour de France
Ireland after that

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Oncearunner8 said:

man, that sounds like fun. Driving large machinery, setting things on fire. All you need is some pork, guns and fireworks to make it the perfect weekend.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
man, that sounds like fun. Driving large machinery, setting things on fire. All you need is some pork, guns and fireworks to make it the perfect weekend.

It's alot of fun. You forgot to mention beer, the most important ingredient in a good time.

You ever in our neck of the woods? If so, drop me a PM. We can go fishing and mudding.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
It's alot of fun. You forgot to mention beer, the most important ingredient in a good time.

You ever in our neck of the woods? If so, drop me a PM. We can go fishing and mudding.

I do not get to Texas often, although I will be in Austin sometime next month. Need to pick up one of those Mellow Johnny's jerseys :).

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
I do not get to Texas often, although I will be in Austin sometime next month. Need to pick up one of those Mellow Johnny's jerseys :).

Just go to livestrong and buy one. Cool thing is the IRS considers it a charitable donation so you can write it off.:)

TRENDING THREADS