• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vacuum Cleaners

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
blackcat said:
p'raps. you could buy a Bissell, since they did support US domestic cycling for a decent period.
I'm ahead of you, I'm going to look at one of these next time I'm near a Bissell retailer:
http://www.bissell.com/powerglide-cordless-upright-vacuum-1534
Yo, jmdirt... what is the deal here?

Did you end up getting a new vacuum cleaner, or what?

I was cleaning up for our holiday gathering and the old Shark died! Because I didn't have time to fart around, I went to BB&B, grabbed

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/shark-reg-rotator-reg-nv682-powered-lift-away-speed-trade-vacuum-in-blue/1044753276?Keyword=shark

and finished cleaning for the shin-dig. With their coupon it was about $170. It works fine, and has some nice features that the old one didn't.

jmdirt said:
I was cleaning up for our holiday gathering and the old Shark died! Because I didn't have time to fart around, I went to BB&B, grabbed

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/shark-reg-rotator-reg-nv682-powered-lift-away-speed-trade-vacuum-in-blue/1044753276?Keyword=shark

and finished cleaning for the shin-dig. With their coupon it was about $170. It works fine, and has some nice features that the old one didn't.
Good to see ya, jmdirt, am glad you finally got around to buying a new vacuum cleaner! :razz:

That's the same one I just got recently, it's pretty good. I like that it's fairly light compared to other standard vacs, and I'm amazed at how much dirt it picks up. (I didn't realize the dog shed so much, he's so sneaky about his shedding.)

Turns out the Shark is now on sale at my local Bi-Mart, if a I had waited a couple of months I could have saved $80. Hmpf!

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
This is a great thread :D

If I may offer a vacuum poem for your enjoyment:

The Vacuum - by Howard Nemerov

The house is so quiet now
The vacuum cleaner sulks in the corner closet,
Its bag limp as a stopped lung, its mouth
Grinning into the floor, maybe at my
Slovenly life, my dog-dead youth.

I’ve lived this way long enough,
But when my old woman died her soul
Went into that vacuum cleaner, and I can’t bear
To see the bag swell like a belly, eating the dust
And the woolen mice, and begin to howl

Because there is old filth everywhere
She used to crawl, in the corner and under the stair.
I know now how life is cheap as dirt,
And still the hungry, angry heart
Hangs on and howls, biting at air.

Re:

Dan2016 said:
This is a great thread :D

If I may offer a vacuum poem for your enjoyment:

The Vacuum - by Howard Nemerov

The house is so quiet now
The vacuum cleaner sulks in the corner closet,
Its bag limp as a stopped lung, its mouth
Grinning into the floor, maybe at my
Slovenly life, my dog-dead youth.

I’ve lived this way long enough,
But when my old woman died her soul
Went into that vacuum cleaner, and I can’t bear
To see the bag swell like a belly, eating the dust
And the woolen mice, and begin to howl

Because there is old filth everywhere
She used to crawl, in the corner and under the stair.
I know now how life is cheap as dirt,
And still the hungry, angry heart
Hangs on and howls, biting at air.
I like it!

Seeing as I'm house-sitting for someone right now I'm having to use one of those really cheap, sad-looking Bissel FeatherWeight™ vacuums - they're great on fake hardwood floors, but not sure it's something I would want to use on an actual carpet. (Don't think that's what they're even designed for.)

So yeah, pending on the kind of flooring you have will definitely be a factor in deciding on the kind of vacuum you may prefer.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

Tricycle Rider said:
I like it!

Seeing as I'm house-sitting for someone right now I'm having to use one of those really cheap, sad-looking Bissel FeatherWeight™ vacuums - they're great on fake hardwood floors, but not sure it's something I would want to use on an actual carpet. (Don't think that's what they're even designed for.)

So yeah, pending on the kind of flooring you have will definitely be a factor in deciding on the kind of vacuum you may prefer.

Yeah that's a good point. What kind of floor? It's definitely something we should consider.

I've been told Rugbusters.com are good but they look angry. I have four vacuums and they all have smiley faces which I like. I burned them out on thick-pile carpet though. I feel like I abused them so I've hidden them away.

Oh that reminds me, my friend Shamima has a basement full of broken vacuums. I was at her house once and there was cat hair everywhere and I said ''Shamima why is there cat hair everywhere?'' and she said ''Come and look in my basement'', so we went down to her basement and that's when I saw all the broken vacuums. We still laugh about it.

Dan2016 said:
I've been told Rugbusters.com are good but they look angry. I have four vacuums and they all have smiley faces which I like. I burned them out on thick-pile carpet though. I feel like I abused them so I've hidden them away.

Oh that reminds me, my friend Shamima has a basement full of broken vacuums. I was at her house once and there was cat hair everywhere and I said ''Shamima why is there cat hair everywhere?'' and she said ''Come and look in my basement'', so we went down to her basement and that's when I saw all the broken vacuums. We still laugh about it.
Like I mentioned upthread - vacuum cleaners can be like bikes tires (or even bikes), you pick each one according to the kind of purpose it's supped to serve. (A cheapy Bissel will do on hard surfaces, but something more prominent you may need for an actual carpet.)

And then we get into these hybrids (which are supposed to do both), again, some may work for you, some may not.

Well anyhoo - good luck out there vacuuming ya'll, hopefully you have found the one (or two) vacuums that will actually work for you! :)

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Tricycle Rider for the good luck wishes, it's really thoughtful and kind of you. We all know how distressing the hunt for vacuums can be. I'd like to wish you good luck too and hope you find something that makes you happy.

I've decided to go down the hybrid route and get one of these pictured below. My friend Jaybabwa told me he has one and swears by in. He lives in a forest and told me they can handle anything you throw at them.

pb22802VacUMax.jpg

Re:

Dan2016 said:
Thanks Tricycle Rider for the good luck wishes, it's really thoughtful and kind of you. We all know how distressing the hunt for vacuums can be. I'd like to wish you good luck too and hope you find something that makes you happy.

I've decided to go down the hybrid route and get one of these pictured below. My friend Jaybabwa told me he has one and swears by in. He lives in a forest and told me they can handle anything you throw at them.

pb22802VacUMax.jpg
Well, if we want to go down that road I have something from the askgaybros site about vacuums, but this one is definitely NSFW!

But I do thank you for your sarcasm, or is it facetiousness, Dan2016 ? (There's always such a fine line between those two.)

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

Tricycle Rider said:
Well, if we want to go down that road I have something from the askgaybros site about vacuums, but this one is definitely NSFW!

But I do thank you for your sarcasm, or is it facetiousness, Dan2016 ? (There's always such a fine line between those two.)
Hi Tricycle, yes it's just light-hearted silliness from me. I thought you started it with your reply to my poem post, it looked like a brilliant bit of dry-humour and I was joining in with your banter. Seems we've been lost in translation on da interwebz. Apologies for any upset.
Cheers :)

Dan2016 said:
Hi Tricycle, yes it's just light-hearted silliness from me. I thought you started it with your reply to my poem post, it looked like a brilliant bit of dry-humour and I was joining in with your banter. Seems we've been lost in translation on da interwebz. Apologies for any upset.
We're cool with each other then. But you gotta see this is a serious thread about serious vacuum cleaner people.

As for the various vacuum attachments you men like to use in order to pleasure yourselves with, well, I'm afraid I can't help you with that one. I'm a lady, you see!

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

Tricycle Rider said:
Dan2016 said:
We're cool with each other then. But you gotta see this is a serious thread about serious vacuum cleaner people.

As for the various vacuum attachments you men like to use in order to pleasure yourselves with, well, I'm afraid I can't help you with that one. I'm a lady, you see!

Good stuff, we're cool. I know better than to get on the wrong side of serious vacuum cleaner people.

As for your other comment...I'm going to take the road less traveled and resist comment lest we spiral down a dirty jokes vortex. :)

I just love the fact that this is a forum full of sports nerds - hope I'm not offending anyone by calling us that - yet here there's a thread for vacuum cleaners, of all things! :D

Anyway, I prefer Nilfisk. All other brands just suck!

Geddid? They suck!

No...?

I'll show myself out.

on3m@n@rmy said:
And thanks Dano for sharing your big blue VAC-U-MAX. If my furballin cats get too out of hand I can suck the mess (& maybe them) up with that beastly thing.
Think that VAC-U-MAX might actually work great on those puddles unchained was struggling with in the DIY thread, providing it sucks up water or other liquids. (I don't see why it wouldn't, that thing looks like it could suck up a whole lake!)

It looks kinda pricey, though...

Re:

RedheadDane said:
I just love the fact that this is a forum full of sports nerds - hope I'm not offending anyone by calling us that - yet here there's a thread for vacuum cleaners, of all things! :D

Anyway, I prefer Nilfisk. All other brands just suck!

Geddid? They suck!

No...?

I'll show myself out.
Badum - tish!

Think I'd take it even a step further in that I'd call us MEGA nerds!

Just wait till we start talking about lawnmowers, or even the merits of various light bulbs. That will really get the party started!

(The LED streetlights that have been installed in my 'hood last year, not sure how I feel about them. While I know they save energy they make the place look even darker and gloomier.)

What is the best vacuum for under $200? I think the Shark Rotator Professional Lift Away NV500 is the best for the money, is it perfect? no but it is under $200 and on sale they can be found for $150 and sometimes even less.

Re:

ebandit said:
....today got the 'ol vroooom vroooom macjine out...................it's so noisy the big dog
is terrified of it

but it had to be done i had not vacuumed for.......................well? no need to name and shame
..............way too long................

Mark L
I think any living being (well, except for maybe my mother) finds the sound of a vacuum cleaner upsetting and sometimes downright unsettling, but eh, sometimes the dirty deed of vacuuming really needs to be done.

Give the old gal a treat for me, will ya?! :)

Re:

ebandit said:
thanks! bandit by name bandit my nature,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i'm totally irresponsible .............i have often described my home life as

'like camping'

Mark L
Do you have someone to hold/comfort the dog while you are vacuuming? Can you tie her to some kind of a tree (or some such) outside while you are doing the dirty deed inside?

My dog wants to eat my vacuum whenever I or my wife uses it, she attacks the front of the machine with her teeth, so I have to keep telling her no. I also have to keep the dog in the house when mowing because she wants to eat that too.

TRENDING THREADS