• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valverde Facing a Two-Year Ban

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
still smoldering

At what stage do we get to see the rest of the bags tested against the non cycling community, cycling has shown either it ignorance, naievity or courage. The spanish continue to provide safe harbour for their athletes. Imagine the outcry if a high profile soccer player shows up. Valverde has not denied not confessed if he can sleep soundly then his moral compass is surely whacked.

Look guys, I wasn't trying to be judge, jury and executioner, just posting what I found out, what I dug up. I'm not THE authority on this, and obviously I didn't make the connection to the piece of paper listed in that link, but I'm doing what I can to list a lot of culled information here because the issue is complex. It's difficult when I read some posts and people make assumptions on one thing or another without looking at the big picture. It took a lot of time and effort to put all that together and try to be unbiased. But I'm not a sports attorney working for the UCI, I'm just a guy trying to be informed while working a regular job and riding my bike. If I miss a few points, I apologize. I did the best I could to gather information in this big messy case.

Yes, I know about the SaxoBank forums. I'm a member there too, and some of my information came from there. It also came from some foreign language websites, even Wikipedia :)eek:). I just think that the CyclingNews vault had a lot of information, and one can follow that link and read the timeline of the whole mess.

For what it's worth, I personally think that the UCI should implement an amnesty program of some sort. Say, if you come clean and cooperate by April 30th, you'll face a 3-6 month suspension and half your annual salary fine. If not, the investigation will eventually play itself out, and when you are caught, you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the sporting rules, and the law.

Remember just two years ago the UCI made all the riders sign the Anti-Doping Charter. Remember that thing? Here's another link. This axe has yet to be used on anyone, but it certainly could have on several riders. Valverde is one of them.

I just think the whole thing is a colossal mess and never going to end at the rate we're going. Some riders who barely doped in an era of rampant doping will go punished, others who mega doped (TH for example) will likely never be punished. And some riders, like Koldo Gil, will offer to have their DNA tested in order to clear their name, but won't be allowed to race and further be blackballed from the sport. This isn't justice. And at the rate we're going, this entire scandal is going to continue to hang over the sport like a huge dark cloud, continually reminding sporting fans and non fans alike, plus sponsors, broadcasters, etc. that our sport is burdened with doping, and doping is associated with our sport more than any other. :(

Go one on ya Alpe. My eyes glaze over with too much talk about doping but you couldn't have put it better, nor classier in support of your passion for finding answers out of your own personal interest in the greatest sport in the world.

There is room enough for all!

...even that smart alec Mellow Yellow!:D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
That was a long turn on the front Alpe d'Huez but that's better than sitting on the back and sniping ;)

An intelligent debate on doping is possible it seems. Good.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Spain aren't listening.
He's down to ride the GP Miguel Indurain, today.

Not down to ride Basque Country.
Otherwise a great line up of almost everyone who's anyone in stage racing.

Did we expect anything other than apathy from the Spanish? Their authorities, whether sporting or not, have done everything possible to bury and obstruct OP.

I'm not saying that I expect Valverde to be banned solely on the word of CONI. I'm sure that he will have his day at CAS and justice will be done. A little empathy and awareness from the promoters wouldn't have gone amiss though.

The irony is yes, if "the Spanish" had acted reasonably quickly and completed their investigation and implemented all suspensions within, say, 6 months of the case opening up, not only would this all be in the past, all the racers suspended from the scandal would be back racing again.

But keep in mind not to entirely blanket "The Spanish", there are a lot of people in that country that are upset with this as well. The case mostly comes down to Judge Serrano following a rather simple letter of the law, and stating that the evidence can't be used for sporting violations, and RFEC not pursuing it much further than that, or doing so very slowly.

As I said before, the whole thing sucks because it's moved so slowly, it's just hanging over the sport, with no end in sight. :(

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Unusual for the Italians to outpace the Spanish in legal matters both countries tend to move at a very very slow pace.
I just now watch cycling for the scenery and the personalities.
Drugs and blood doping disgust me but the reality is top sports people are just like bankers, some lie and cheat!
Valverde seems a decent spud and an easy target.
You would think Italy has enough internal problems to sort out.

Drugs and blood doping disgust me but the reality is top sports people are just like bankers, some lie and cheat!

Except in your example, the bankers have screwed over everyone else in order to get where they are. The athletes are for the most part screwing over each other.

But don't for a second forget and think this is a cycling problem. Does anyone really believe that baseball players are all now clean that the so called steroid era is "over"? Imagine if MLB, the NFL, NBA, Soccer, etc. had to be tested independently under WADA rules...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
But don't for a second forget and think this is a cycling problem. Does anyone really believe that baseball players are all now clean that the so called steroid era is "over"? Imagine if MLB, the NFL, NBA, Soccer, etc. had to be tested independently under WADA rules...

If WADA tested any other sport we'd be out of athletes by now :D, they'd all be banned till who knows when. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS