• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valverde: I like cycling more than ever

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Maybe that's why there's so many Dutchies on this forum. Cycling doesn't normally appear in pub discussions over here, unlike in Belgium ;)

Belgium... that must be great. I've never been able to have a cycling conversation not related to doping. I don't even imagine how can it be. But, what can I do, I'm not going to change my friends because of that.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Maybe that's why there's so many Dutchies on this forum. Cycling doesn't normally appear in pub discussions over here, unlike in Belgium ;)

This surprises me - the guys in our Dutch office all seem obsessed with cycling, in a similar manner to those you on here. That said, Dutch friends from uni seem to have no interest in it at all

hrotha said:
If you're going to be a pro fan, you're going to need to understand enough written Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian and English to get by.

by 'pro fan', do you mean just a fan of the pros, or a really intense fan? I read it the first way the first time, and it sounded kind of elitist, like 'you can't be a cycling fan if you don't understand other languages', and I wouldn't agree. But if you mean like a 'pro' fan, then yeah I would agree. It's not an Anglo-centric sport and I often feel like I'm missing out by only having French and English (although I guess I'm doing better than lots if I have French).

That said, anyone want to translate that full article so I can understand it? ;)

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
skidmark said:
by 'pro fan', do you mean just a fan of the pros, or a really intense fan? I read it the first way the first time, and it sounded kind of elitist, like 'you can't be a cycling fan if you don't understand other languages', and I wouldn't agree. But if you mean like a 'pro' fan, then yeah I would agree. It's not an Anglo-centric sport and I often feel like I'm missing out by only having French and English (although I guess I'm doing better than lots if I have French).

That said, anyone want to translate that full article so I can understand it? ;)

Seem I was the one to start this argument :eek: I will clarify my point. When I read the statement I interpreted to say 'If you cant read French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian you are not a real cycling fan'. I found that elitist, offensive and completely over the top. Perhaps that was not the intention. So while i still stand by my sentiment that you can still be a fan of pro cycling even if you only speak English - for as has been pointed out - important non-English news or bad mistakes in translation are discussed here. However, I have seen by some of the comments here, how much more of an advantage those other languages are then I had previously realized.

Parrulo said:
the article on agostinho iis a really good read, he was a fantastic rider

If you can find it, there's an excellent book that details the history of the Vuelta. It comes in 2 parts, with an additional edition that encompasses the race up to I believe 2005 or 6 and going back to maybe Ullrich's win. It mixes in the Spanish political landscape as it coincides with each year of the Vuelta.
Gave me a greater appreciation for the KAS superteam.

Agostinho features strongly in its retelling, as does some of my all-time favorites especially Jose Manuel Fuente.

TRENDING THREADS